86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Cali '86 RTE 4Runner rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by TrailTrek2Fish
... you gotta admit, a vinyl floor is a lot easier to tidy up.
Agree. Carpet does not belong on trucks that we use for their intended purpose. One doesn't even need a vacuum to clean vinyl.
I just use a counter brush (foxtail) for the vinyl cover in my cargo deck. Will replace the carpet with vinyl when I have the budget.
Best of luck with the build.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
its a turbo SR5, keep it a turbo SR5! carpet all the way!! just go by a car wash every now and again and use the free vaccuums. itll be quieter, softer, and give you better resale value in the future.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL! I should've clarified that too, space-junk. Like the carpeted kick panels, I will keep the original carpet for future value purposes, should I choose to lay vinyl. It just needs a really deep-clean job. I have a fairly strong shop vacuum. When I dismantle May's interior for a complete once over, I'll put that vacuum to hard use. For the meantime, just like all of the other modifications listed above, I want/need items that are easier to work with.

I forgot to mention that I scored a used sand-blasting cabinet, compressor and hose for $80. I found it on CL about the same time I purchased May. I'm gonna sand-blast parts and repaint them.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 PM

Have any of you dealt with Invasion Auto located in North Hollywood, CA?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Woohoo! I just received my handy dandy repair manual!

'86 Yota Repair Manual
Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
NICE!! I can't find one under $90.... but after all these years it was probably worth it.... The internet one works well enough.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM

I just received my replacement OEM exhaust manifold. Thankfully, as advertised, it doesn't have any cracks. I'm going clean it up a bit. Perhaps by performing rust removal by electrolysis. I'll post the "after" photos when I get it done.

Turbo Exhaust Manifold (Bottom) Turbo Exhaust Manifold (Top) Turbo Exhaust Manifold (Side) Turbo Exhaust Manifold (Rear)

Last edited by TrailTrek2Fish; 06-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
interested to see how the rust removal via electrolysis works out!
as the attemptor of many home chemistry experiments, I am doubtful, but wiling to be proven wrong

try on scrap first and regulate your power supply!!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 PM

I'm interested to see how it turns out too, magnet18. I'm going to test the electrolysis process on my cracked exhaust manifold before I even think of doing it to the one I just purchased and recieved. I'll do a write up and provide photos of my results when it's all said and done. I still need to gather the supplies. Wish me luck!

Last edited by TrailTrek2Fish; 06-27-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:45 PM

Since I'm going to keep running the OEM automatic transmission, I'm going to want to run a transmission cooler equipped with a fan. I figure this will come in super handy especially when crawlin' or haulin'. I've been looking at this unit on Jeg's... Any thoughts or experiences with transmission coolers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 840 Likes on 562 Posts
Woohoo! I just received my handy dandy repair manual!

'86 Yota Repair Manual
f

that looks mint! Where did you get it? I just bought one off ebay for $129.99 BIN. I had one for my '84 4runner way back when and decided it was worth it. Pretty heavy and awkward forreading at bedtime though!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:58 AM

LOL! I should've clarified that too, space-junk. Like the carpeted kick panels, I will keep the original carpet for future value purposes, should I choose to lay vinyl. It just needs a really deep-clean job. I have a fairly strong shop vacuum. When I dismantle May's interior for a complete once over, I'll put that vacuum to hard use. For the meantime, just like all of the other modifications listed above, I want/need items that are easier to work with.

I forgot to mention that I scored a used sand-blasting cabinet, compressor and hose for $80. I found it on CL about the same time I purchased May. I'm gonna sand-blast parts and repaint them.
My interior is gray and was so gross i think a PO worked in an oil field. I rented a Rug Dr. Carpet cleaning machine and the results were worth the money. Big improvement so i would recommend it as the way to go.

I use a $10 swap meet sand blasting hopper for lots of stuff. I'd think yours would do a good job on your turbo exh manifold.

Also a quick comment on the por 15 stuff. I used it on the underside of my Camaro and kind of wish i hadn't. Iirc, there is a cleaning chemical, then an etching chemical then the paint. I have recently seen lots of youtube videos on rust converters that you just paint over the surface rust. It starts out milky and turn everything black but functions as a primer if you want to paint over it. I think i will be trying this soon on my 4r's frame.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
POR15 works great, but it isn't magic and there's a lot more prep work than most people think. A lot of people think you just slap it on anything and you're good forever. Really you have to get to either bare metal or clean rust, if bare metal, you have to clean it and etch it to put a nice rust coating on it, then put the POR on really thin and time the subsequent coats right.

If you do all that, it's fantastic. But like any other paint, it's a lot more prep than painting

Sorry I have no input on transmission coolers, but I'm interested to see how it turns out, I'm thinking about one for my wife's mustang
Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Since I'm going to keep running the OEM automatic transmission, I'm going to want to run a transmission cooler equipped with a fan. I figure this will come in super handy especially when crawlin' or haulin'. I've been looking at this unit on Jeg's... Any thoughts or experiences with transmission coolers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

My experience is that the B&M didn't do anything mounted with a fan. I mounted a hayden oil cooler in the front and that made a huge difference. On most versions of the front end it fits well, but with mine I had to do some modifications.. It was worth all the effort as I don't have ovreheating issues anymore.

You can see how I installed it in my build thread at this link.. few posts from the top. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...5/index13.html

And here is the link to the thread where I installed the B&M cooler... then made a cowling... then spent a lot of time thinking about it and still didn't work ... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...08/index2.html

good luck
Old 06-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Melrose 4r, I found the repair manual on eBay for $50. It is definitely nearly mint. It just has a few thumb prints from greasy digits and dog eared corners. I'm really considering on doing a full body off restoration so I can get to all of the surface rust spots. This manual will help a lot with that should I choose to do so.

And thanks for the tip on the Rug Dr. Carpet Cleaning Machine. I remember seeing those for rent at one of the local grocery stores.

I have vey high hopes for the sand blasting cabinet. There are a lot of goodies that could use some sand blasting. I'll do some before and after pictures of those projects too.

I had a feeling the POR-15 was going to involve a lot of prep work and different agents needed to complete the rust treatment. Can you PM me the link to the other rust treatments you saw on Youtube?
__________________________________________________ ________________________

magnet18, if I can't find a decent way to remove the surface rust, I might have to take it down to bare metal. I'll know for sure when/if I decide to pull the body off.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Gevo, I was looking at the Hayden ones too. I gotta do some more research before I decide on which one I'll end up installing. I should crawl under May soon and look up her skirt to find where I can possibly install a transmission cooler.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Melrose 4r, I found the repair manual on eBay for $50. ...
And thanks for the tip on the Rug Dr. Carpet Cleaning Machine. ...
I had a feeling the POR-15 was going to involve a lot of prep work and different agents needed to complete the rust treatment. ...
magnet18, if I can't find a decent way to remove the surface rust, I might have to take it down to bare metal. I'll know for sure when/if I decide to pull the body off.
I was lucky that the P.O. included the FSM and a Haynes one with my truck.
Re: Carpet, I just removed mine and threw it in a front-loading washing machine. Worked well. On upholstery, I applied Febreeze until moist, scrubbed and immediately followed with a shop vac. Smells good now.
Yes, POR requires a degreasing step, then a metal prep step which leaves what looks like thin white lightly-oxidized, textured surface. The starter kit includes the necessary chemicals.
If repainting, best to get most of the rust off, and leave no loose rust. I tried steel brush wheel but it did not remove some loose rust. Instead, it gave rust surface a sheen that you could mistake for hard metal but is not. Better to use an abrasive wheel. The one with what looks like nylon bristles coated with abrasives worked well for me.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM

RAD4Runner, that is a great idea! A front loading washing machine at the laundromat!

I have yet to completely see what I'm up against. I'll get a better idea when I crawl under her. I'll take photos if there are any notable items to point out.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 PM

Melrose 4r, I found the repair manual on eBay for $50. It is definitely nearly mint. It just has a few thumb prints from greasy digits and dog eared corners. I'm really considering on doing a full body off restoration so I can get to all of the surface rust spots. This manual will help a lot with that should I choose to do so.

And thanks for the tip on the Rug Dr. Carpet Cleaning Machine. I remember seeing those for rent at one of the local grocery stores.

I have vey high hopes for the sand blasting cabinet. There are a lot of goodies that could use some sand blasting. I'll do some before and after pictures of those projects too.

I had a feeling the POR-15 was going to involve a lot of prep work and different agents needed to complete the rust treatment. Can you PM me the link to the other rust treatments you saw on youtube?
​​​​​​​
this is a video for rust converter that impressed me. After looking at it a while, it seems to be the same stuff as "corroseal" rust converter that is available through home Depot(online order) or Amazon. I am ordering a gallon for my frame clean up project.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:06 PM

WOW!!! I am super impressed!!!

Melrose 4r, you are the man! Thanks for sharing that video, I'm going to order a few gallons for May and future projects!

Old 06-30-2017, 03:39 AM

WOW!!! I am super impressed!!!

Melrose 4r, you are the man! Thanks for sharing that video, I'm going to order a few gallons for May and future projects!

​​​​​​​Disclaimer:

glad to help but please realize this is not a ringing endorsement because i have not tried it myself yet. Give me couple weeks and i'll report back.