Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '85 Yota
Subscribed!
Thanks!

So, was away for a wedding. managed to do some scrap yarding and got a pretty much brand new steering pump off an 87 truck, which is good because i noticed mine is starting to scream, probably from running low on fluid a few times. So now i have a new reservoir a newish pump and a newish steering box. That's going to be a weekend thing pretty quick here once i figure out more about my shoulder and what i can and can't do with it. Also found a brand new toyota dizzy off a guy in Kelowna, 50 bucks! I don't need it but, 50 bucks man! can't pass something like that up considering an oem replacement is 300-400 dollars. On the trip we rolled over 300,000 KM on the wifes 4runner, shocked that 3vz is still running to be honest, its beat to S**T leaks oil like a mofo and it's gotten hot a few times goin up the mountain passes. I have options for that truck when it goes tho... either take the 4.3 out of the blazer and slap it in or go pick up another 3vz and drop that in, they're dirt cheap.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey buddy, good to see you at it again!

Just take your time and be very careful with those steering hoses and the flare nuts.... And flush it while you're at it, the lines and cooler... Then bleed it really well... That's the one thing that I love about Toyota power steering... ATF!

ATF traps water very well and holds it at a molecular level. This is why I used some when that head gasket went immediately after the rebuild of my rebuilt motor? never figured out what happened there, but it was fun trying to figure it out with a buddy who is an engineer. Anyway, all I mean is that we used a gf along with oil to pole any water hiding within the head or clean case or otherwise as it ran the first time with the second head gasket... Lol. Sorry I was having a flashback.

Best to you and your wife! Congratulations!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM

PS: I know you were away for a wedding not your wedding... I'm just stoked for you guys.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the info mark! I remember reading the headaches you had with your rebuild. Don't envy you on that part but i do envy ruby now!! My wesdings august 24th still got just over a month to go. Was at a friends wedding last weekend ... open bar. Ouch. As it sits now my steerimg box leaks about a liter of atf in a monthm its messy but it works for now . Its done this for probably 2 years. Sucks on the highway when i hit the brakes because it splashes a coupke drops on the driver side caliper once in a while and makes a stink.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM

No problem... The steering drama I went through is well recorded and documented. Yeah, I'd grabbed 2 boxes up to this point. ...and I finally bit the bullet and got a reman'd one from a guy that uses all OEM Parts, and does many for several of the shops in L.A. County/Surrounding. I also replace the high pressure line with new and got a great deal on that as well. The pump was already the newer one that I wound up with after searching around and replacing it 3 times with parts stores versions. There are just some things that are worth doing factory. The bottom line is that when you start to lift and modify suspension, then push the travel while full steer and wheel them hard... Even a box that never leaked a drop in a doner vehicle can give up the ghost at that point, in yours. This last one leaked out of the input shaft seal and was also leaking right thru the high pressure hose which was revealing hundreds of cracks where fluid was actually seeping through. Got sick of messing with it and instead of going through a little bit of a nightmare of Labor in the yard only to spend around $80 still... I decided to just get one that's good to go and guaranteed 5 Toyota enthusiast that specializes in just this. He got me a high end replacement high pressure hose for under $40! You see? Throw some of these guys some business and then throw in a deal on other things to help, especially if they see all the other work you've done.

Hope you recover quickly from your hangover! Lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Just ordered my LCE egr block offs and PAIR block offs. also decided to give the short shifter a try, I like the thought of a shorter throw, feels like im going to punch my dash whenever i shift from 2nd or 4th to a higher gear hah. which by the way they have a lot of their stuff on sale, the shifter was 99.99 and it comes with a free lce billet aluminum shift knob!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
marlin has a short-shifter, and after ordering a lce kit, i'd rather order marlin's. and my lce kit didn't come with a knob
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 PM

they're new shift knobs, if they're the ones advertised on the site they look pretty sweet, i also don't think marlin ships to canada i could be wrong i contacted lcd and marlin. LCE got back sooner and it was onsale with a shift knob. is it a noticble difference in he shifting at least?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM

wow, placed the order maybe an hour ago just got the call paid my shipping and its out the door. Thats wicked service in my books.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Parts from lce are already enroute to Canada, damn thats quick. I hope customs doesn't hold the parcel for 2 weeks, damn i hate customs..... I just want to put my short shifter in.

So went to parts store on saturday to grab some atf and buy a pitman arm puller, which i definitely paid way to much freakin money for but whatever, its sturdy heavy as hell and should hold up to some abuse. Anyways, guess i spend a lot of money at Lordco they gave me some lordco swag and not just a silly t shirt or a mug I got a fold out chair with built in side table really sturdy.

Name:  20130713_134611.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  127.6 KB

The wife to be likes it cuz now she can sit and pester me while i work, fine by me as long as she keeps passing me tools. Anywho, started pulling out my leaking reservoir my noisy pump and my leaking steering box, I'm going through roughly a liter liter and a half every 2 weeks it stinks and its expensive after a while so time to fix it.

some shots of the leaky box
Name:  20130713_163350.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  85.7 KB
Name:  IMG-20130713-WA0002.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  141.4 KB
Name:  20130713_163409.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  170.2 KB

and the leaky reservoir.... seems like it blows through the top of the reservoir either through the cap or somewhere along the seam, as you can see it makes a huge mess of my engine bay and i feel like a disgusting slob for not taking care of this sooner.... So much crud and goop in my engine bay, shame on me haha, at lesat my engine bay is black so it kind of all blends in together. You can also see the PO "genius" idea to wrap hoses in red electrical tape, I have found that shiet everywhere in my truck, it is tacky and falling apart. slowly but surely im getting rid of it all.
Name:  20130713_163446.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  97.0 KB

Shot of the pump being gonzo and the leaky reservoir is out too, wiped some of the crud off just to see how bad it looked underneath and was surprised the paint still looks decent, i need to give the motor a bath.

Name:  20130713_171502.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  122.6 KB

That's where she sits for now, didn't have a 32mm wrench or socket to pull the nut off the pitman arm, picking that up after work today so i can work on getting the steering box out. now what im curious about is when i go to put my new one in. how do i know where center is on the box? or does it not matter? I didn't think about this until just now to be honest and i feel like a rookie for not knowing this.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Hey buddy, great to see you going at it so crazy!

There are several great threads on this and it's been a couple years since I got a gearbox from a yard... so I ask them to leave Pittman on it and they replied that they always do unless its damaged in which case most of them they will not sell that box. anyway, I can't remember where I saw that thread but it might have been 4 crawler for 4 X 4 wire dot com... Anyway, since no 4 wheel drive truck suspension and steering is exactly the same, I was a tiny bit off from my original box... so I had to wind up doing a little bit of adjustment at the worm shaft before the top of the gearbox, between the steering rod and gearbox.... In order for my steering wheel to be straight when I drove straight.

If I have time today I will see if I save that link in my PC... but you should have no problem finding it. keep up the great work bud!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-15-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM

yea both the spare steering boxes i have have the pitman arm on them, thanks for the info i will hae to go through 4crawlers wrie ups and take a look. The nut is supposed to be a 32mm nut on it is it not? I went out and bought a 32mm and the damn thing is like a hair to small, im hoping its just some scaley build up on it. my short shifter is in customs im pretty sure! can't wait!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Found out how to tell when steering box is straight and how to properly align pitman arm, which is good i can get that taken care of.

My next question, are aftermarket ignition kits worth it? like a cran ignition kit or MSD, is that extra oomph for the spark worth the $225? it says its good for low rpm low speed applications which I do lots of bush cruising/crawling etc but I know every company is going to say that to sell their product, does anyone have any first hand experience with them?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM

No experience in 22re's running these types of ignition. I ran plenty of them in blown big block Ford and Chevy products... but I I've simply never ran one in a 22re. I know I've seen others on here have. I think Xxxtreme on here did. Mine runs like a raped ape for a 22 re with stock ignition : but I can't say it wouldn't help? and yet most of the Guru dude that I know will always suggest sticking with factory ignition wires and coil and cap and rotor. the problem isn't always about how much power something generates... more often it's about how long it will last.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM

yea that's what i figured just thought that maybe if it was worth it to add it to the list, I don't fix things that are not broken but if an upgrade is possible might as well make it happen
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Sure and like I said I have no way of telling you whether or not it's a good idea. overtime one of the biggest problems is our wiring is so old and develop so much resistance and even bad connections... it's actually a miracle after 27 years that I don't have more problems than I do!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 AM

well, probably going to pass on getting crane or msd ignition, after a few hours of research it really only benefits carb'd trucks. or high output motors at high rpms all the time.

32mm wrench bought, used that and another very large wrench and a bfh, pitman nut is not coming off its been soaked in wd 40 loctite freezing lubricant, you name it. It's only been on there for a year and it is stubborn as hell. gonna have a buddy stop by with the rolling service truck and zip the sucker off with his air impact.

And on the wifes 2nd gen, either the diff is blown or the cv is blown on passenger side, I went underneath wiggled it around and there is a severe amount of play, I wiggled it right at the union to the diff and thats where the play is so im assuming carrier bearings are shot in the diff, FACK, i don't know anyone local that has a front non add diff kicking around. If i just pull the front d shaft and cvs i'm gonna have some serious fun cleaning and fixing everything up once i do find one. Hoping my spare aisin ifs hubs have all the parts i need to throw on the front of it so i can at least stop everything from spinning, and remove front d shaft for good measure as well. the wife has a 16 hour round trip drive next week so need to figure something out.

Good news is my parts from LCE will be here tonight or monday. hoping for today but most likely monday with my luck.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 AM

Got my LCEngineering egr and pair delete plates, short shifter kit and my FREE shifter knob, I have a bunch of pics on my phone will have to upload them later today.

The wifes 2nd gen has some front diff issues, major play on the passenger side stub so i decided to render the ADD hubs inoperable by tossing on the spare manual hubs i have, Passenger side went all fine and dandy got the hubs swapped out the tire free spins separate from everything else. Went to take the drivers side wheel off, three wheel studs were old and tired and decided to give up the ghost So of course i have the drivers side down to the spindle and I'm waiting for parts stores to open so i can swap those out as she has a 20 hour round trip drive starting tomorrow morning.

On the bright side, I installed my short shifter, took about 30 minutes to do it due to the amount of crap i had to clean off the top of my shifter tower. Im impressed, great quality product very sturdy and the shift throw is SO short now and shifts smooth as glass I can't believe it!

Also removed my egr system, I know a lot of people will bitch about it but meh, its my truck i do what i want with it, I have cleaned that damn thing out to many times and sick of it sticking open, this is a solution to my problem. Just gotta figure out what to do with all these vac lines now, want to remove them all except for the FPR of course, but i have 2 other ones I'm not sure about; The charcoal canister and then behind the black round resonator(think thats what it is) it has a tube that goes to the intake manifold and the other end is attached to a metal pipe with what looks like a vacuum actuator similar to the FPR and egr not sure if i can just cap that off and remove that black resonator as well(now that i think about it i think that is part of the PAIR bypass correct me if I'm wrong please). Also got my new to me power steering box put in, hopefully the pit-man arm is aligned properly, there was no alignment marks so i had to kinda wing it and hope for the best, gonna hook up steering shaft and bleed the system today make sure everything works as it should!

I will edit this later with the pics i took.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Nice update!

Quick Reply: bbrideau's 88 22re 4runner Build-up/rebuild