86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

A2theK's 91' Pickup Buildup Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally! It's here!!

Have this weekend off which means time for the install.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM

nice....
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 AM

Had some time to start on the header install today. Went pretty smooth besides some slowdowns as expected.

Wasn't even going to try to break free the rusty mess of bolts and nuts so just went straight in and cut both sides off the cat.

Off the muffler..

And the manifold side.

PB blaster was a big help in getting the manifold off without breaking and exhaust studs!

Ugly stock downpiping..

Everything came off pretty dang easy and no broken studs. Bottom left stud did end up coming out still attached to the nut which wasn't bad at all since I had some new ones just in case anything happens.

Nasty stock manifold gone!

Mmmm, was drooling at this point. : P

Pretty close fit down at the bottom, got some scratches trying to get it to fit through. At first I was trying to squeeze it through with the factory bracket holder which is down there but ended up having to take it off and then it fit like a glove.

And some before and after of the new cat/muffler. I did have to cut the connector pipe that came with the header about 3.5" to make everything fit in the stock locations.

Overall I'm super happy with the performance and sound. I literally cannot stand the "ricer" sound in freeflow mufflers so I went with a better flow stock sounding one and is the exact sound I was looking for. The combo with the header makes it sound a little noisier than stock but with a deeper noise the header puts out too. I'll upload a video tomarrow.

Last edited by A2theK; 04-08-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Wow, looks great, how does it sound?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Sounds exactly how I was hoping. It's a little louder than stock and has a great deep sound too as well. I'll try to get a video up today and see if it sounds as great on camera. WOT it really roars!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
nice!!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Nice man, I'll listen for you on the streets of Boise...
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShakeZulla
Nice man, I'll listen for you on the streets of Boise...
Haha for sure. Went into one of the parking garages downtown today and it sure sounded niceee
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Had some time this morning to put my 6" Trail Gear shackles on. I had some sag in the back so my plans were to put these longer shackles on to fix my sag then probably just get 1-2" blocks and then put my BJ spacers up front. Then 33's here we come! Ended up leveling out perfectly except the rear passenger tire is half an inch higher

Before..

After..
Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Nice. You think your leafs are worn on the saggy side? I know absolutely nothing about jacking a truck up but I know with my lift the front cvs take a beating. Did you have 33's on the truck in that last pic? They look like bigger tires.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM

I'm thinking so. Do you have diff drop spacers installed to lower the cv angles? No, I had my rear driver tire go flat on me so I just bought a new 31x10.50 to take its place until I had the clearance for 33's.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Hard to say on the spacer since I have never seen underneath a stock 94. I'm guessing not because the cv is at a pretty sharp angle. Once its running I'll take pics and ask what I should do. Would love to ditch the IFS at some point. Hurry up on the 33s man!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Once I get my spacers up front installed I'll let you know how they work. You running 1.5" up front? I've been thinking about an sas but i've had my eye out for a cheaper 1st gen 4runner to possibly turn into a crawler so I'd rather save the money and keep this as my dd.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Waiting for my rear lift to get here in the mail but in the mean time got a little package in the mail! 82' Supra AFM I picked up from another Toyota forum! I'll put it in tomarrow and post some side by side comparisons.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Well got off work late today but couldn't help but get that AFM in tonight. Really really happy with the results. Better air flow mixed with my new exhaust really made a difference. Third through fifth pulls so much better and I'm actually able to hold my speed if not speed up going up hills that would normally need me to downshift.

Comparison of the two from the back.

Putting back together. Bought a 3"x3" connector from Home Depot which fit perfectly.

And all together! Pretty happy with all of it. Definately a quick and easy mod for some more pep.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Got around to some more fixes. Had a small leak from the bottom of my radiator and was tired of seeing a small puddle of coolant everyday so I went a little cheap and got an aluminum one. Figure I can take my old OME one to the shop to see if they can't fix it?

Since I was going to be draining the coolant; I thought I would get a new 190 degree thermostat put in too. I don't know if it's just me but I like knowing how old certain parts are that get put in so I know roughly how long they'll last me.

Been having some trouble with the rig as well. Starting it up cold will run great for hours but as soon as I turn her off and start up when it's warm; say I run into the store really quick, it idles rough and feels like it's stumbling/fuel being cut off as the rpms go up. Thought maybe something to do with the engine coolant temp sensor, so while I had coolant drained I threw a new one of those in as well. No change in how it's running though :\

Also got my rear blocks in as well as new Pro Comp ES9000 shocks.

My breaker bar to break the U-bolt nuts free.. I ended up breaking two socket wrenches because the damn things were on soo tight.

Finishing up about to put my new U-bolts on when I notice how much smaller in width they were to my stock ones. So I had to get some made for me at a local spring shop. Had one next door to work so had them made for me on my lunch break in about five minutes.

Pro Comp ES9000 (2-3" lift) compared to stock. AMAZING difference. I was not expecting such a great feel very happy with what I got!

Previously when I installed my longer shackles; I had one side lift up an inch higher than my other and was wondering why.. I think I figured it out. My driver side was the lower side and was a real pain to get that shock off for some reason. Then I looked up at top shock mount which looks like it was ripped off and then poorly welded back on in the wrong position years ago? Not 100% sure since I have nothing to compare it to but for toyota to have welds like this, not thinking so.. Ended up leveling itself out with the longer shocks because the stock shock was so far extended that it was pulling down loosing that inch of lift.

All in all pretty happy with it. Have a total of 3" in the back now and will put my BJ spacers up front along with new Pro Comp shocks up there as well on my next day off. Also have a new project of cleaning up and painting my rear end. Never noticed how dirty and ugly it was until being under there for a while haha.

Last edited by A2theK; 05-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM

why not go straight pipe?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 PM

I was gonna fab up a straight pipe once I upgrade my piping to 2.25". So then I can run without a cat or with one if I need it.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Well had some time late today to do some work the front lift. Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, about an hour and a half to two hours. I was going to make a write up but was losing daylight quick and couldnt pull into the garage so had to hurry!

Out with the old and in with the new! ProComp ES9000 to match the rears as well.

1.5" balljoint spacer installed! Still need to install my diff drop spacers and sway bar spacers as well. Ran out of daylight so I'll have to finish up after work tomarrow.

And shocks in too. Couldn't get a picture of the actual truck lift because it was too dark so I'll take some tomarrow. Also going to mess around with the torsion bars a bit. Rear is sitting at 39" from the ground and front is at 38.5".

Only drove it down the street and back so we'll see how much nicer the feel will be. Will get some more pics up tomarrow.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by A2theK
I was gonna fab up a straight pipe once I upgrade my piping to 2.25". So then I can run without a cat or with one if I need it.
oic... i'm running straight pipe... no cat... pipe cut off just under cab... pretty dam loud but fun as hell when blasting through the mudd... lol... i'm gonna eventually go to a snorkel...

as for my front, i plan to upgrade my shocks to bilstein... to match my rear... and in the next few months will begin on the solid front axle

Quick Reply: A2theK's 91' Pickup Buildup Thread