86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

4bd1 86 Extra cab long bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4bd1 86 Extra cab long bed

So the 22r was still running, she was just getting a little tired, and me tired of it! So last weekend I ran across a 4BD1 with 100K with a ford adapter, that came with a rebuilt C6 for a good price, and I couldn't resist. I have always wanted my little truck to have some grunt. So I got started So far I have had to cut the stock motor mounts off the frame, removed the steering stabilizer bracket, clearance the firewall. As for the diesel the oil filter housing will have to be relocated (will not clear the frame or torsion bar) and steering is going to be a major issue. I am considering a jeep 4x2 straight axle (I don't want/need 4x4), the pitman/idler arm are to high, and the 4bd1 had to be set pretty low in the chassis to clear the hood, and get that SAE bell housing/C6 into the tunnel. But with a little 1.75 OD cold roll tubing, I am going to be making a cradle tomorrow to support the motor, and beef up the front end. Also the motor mounts weren't to bad, a little time with a cut off wheel, flap disk and welder, and I was able to use the 22R block mounts, and cross breed them with the isuzu motor mounts, which stuck out to far, would have been on top of the frame and to high, and ended up with a nice set of narrow mounts that clear the frame and give me a little room to play with.

Today the drive shaft got made, the transmission mount fell right on top of the w55 mount, and I was able to cross bread the C6 mount with it, was much easier than I expected. Seems to be that the hardest part of it is the steering, because it wants to be were I want the engine.... Here are some pictures so far, any suggestions are welcome! And if anyone has any idea on how to relocate the steering, please! I also considered (and measured) a mustang II/Pinto manual rack, but it just looked to weak, I would rather not spend my time fabbing a fail point into my truck.

Also just gave the cross member under the transmission a little dip with a bender to clear the C6, and had to really cut into the driver side A-arm mount to clear the 4BD's massive starter, but I will be re-strengthening tomorrow with a 1.75 cold rolled tubing cradle.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will get the pictures up tomorrow have to resize them.....to lazy