86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1995 4Runner SR5 4x4 Reliability Build up

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks great, DD....

Hmmm, might have to relax them bars a lil bit after all, no? Lil bit high in the front? But looks nice and beefy, Sir, ...congratz on getting to drive her again, right?

"I FINALLY CLEAR MY TIRES".......... yep, very cool... but HOW'S IT RIDING? Do tell, yes? hahaha
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'll relax mine too when I get home.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
I think I'll relax mine too when I get home.
Amazing how much softer it can ride with even 0.5" relaxed t-bars... let alone 1". If you go too low, it's funny.... it bounces like a LowRider! hahaha.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 PM

I always recommend people lube the lock and adjustment nut up for a day or so.... They have been known to snap right off, on many on here. Also, ...don't forget to lift it off the ground up front to relax them as much as they'll go before cracking that lock nut away.

2- 22mm WRENCHES and a Hammer did the trick for me to break em loose....
Old 06-23-2012, 03:05 PM

To get .5" how many turns was that?

I hope I can drop mine and still clear my 35's. Mind you I have no problem with trimming and when they sort of did that a bit on their own. Ripped the hell out of the plastic lining in the wheel well. I wonder if I can just take all of it out?

Plus they rub the idler arm at full lock just a little. I think I'll fix the steering stop plate by welding on a small bit of steel. Should clear easy then, like I said they only just rub. The steering stop plate has a groove cut into it from years of wear.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Looks great, DD....

Hmmm, might have to relax them bars a lil bit after all, no? Lil bit high in the front? But looks nice and beefy, Sir, ...congratz on getting to drive her again, right?

"I FINALLY CLEAR MY TIRES".......... yep, very cool... but HOW'S IT RIDING? Do tell, yes? hahaha
Definetly funny stance right now since the camber is off and the front being so high. As far as the ride goes: you can tell the road isnt totally smooth; you feel every bump and twist. I will be dropping them back down to level it out when I get the rear lift on.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:24 PM

28'' Tires

33'' Tires

33" Tires+ BJ Spacers+ ES 3000+ Torsion Crank

Last edited by digitaldisciple; 10-31-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Can't remember how many turns it was, exactly, SJumper.... Just a few, as I remember. I just kept doing a couple and then measuring, while counting... Then I did the other side to my same count... Then adjusted back or forward to as close to even as I could get... I got within 1/16th of an inch in the end.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 AM

What kind of rims ae those? I really like them. Are they deep enough to stop any rubbing?

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-24-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:26 PM

lookin good!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM

What kind of rims ae those? I really like them. Are they deep enough to stop any rubbing?
Im not sure but I sure dig em too. The offset is barely enough to keep from rubbing and they are mega wide 10". Kinda thinking about painting the lug face flat black when I do the rocker panels with bedliner.

Originally Posted by blakefogt
lookin good!
Thank you
Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 AM

My rims are only 15" so I'm stuck with them until I get now rubber which is years away considering I just bought new ones. Plus the missus would have my nuts if I did that now.

I figure at some point I will take them off blast em and get them powder coated.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:15 PM

My rims are only 15" .....I figure at some point I will take them off blast em and get them powder coated.
Thank god for craigslist, i can have a different set of good mt tires everyday of the week for less than 25% of retail. That would look way clean once ya got em coated. Mine are 15s too but super wide so I like the look and feel of em. My plan is to run 35's on 18's x12.5 after I get my body lift and gearing to 5.29.

Last edited by digitaldisciple; 06-25-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Got my shock adapters today, now for rear lift!

TIP: These adapters are LEGIT! the bonus to them is it makes changing out shocks even easier and it gives you an extra inch of lift

Last edited by digitaldisciple; 11-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by digitaldisciple
Thank god for craigslist, i can have a different set of good mt tires everyday of the week for less than 25% of retail. That would look way clean once ya got em coated. Mine are 15s too but super wide so I like the look and feel of em. My plan is to run 35's on 18's x12.5 after I get my body lift and gearing to 5.29.

I hear you. One down side of living up near the arctic is finding deals on anything. Its awesome way up here but finding good second hand stuff or proper sales is a pain. I have been waiting two months to find a matching rim. Even then its not even going to be a perfect match when it does get here.

Mine are American racing and glossy. What the shop can get me is pro comp and flat black. At least the backspacing and style match though.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM

I hear you. One down side of living up near the arctic is finding deals on anything. Its awesome way up here but finding good second hand stuff or proper sales is a pain. I have been waiting two months to find a matching rim. Even then its not even going to be a perfect match when it does get here.

Mine are American racing and glossy. What the shop can get me is pro comp and flat black. At least the backspacing and style match though.

Yep, and grab a can of glossy and you're in! I hear that a lot from the Great White Northerners.... "Hard to get stuff, and when I do, it's 'iffy' half the time... and Shipping is a PITA!" that could be tough to deal with at times.. But you'll get there, man

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
why shock adapters? why didn't you just buy shocks that work instead of running those sketchy things?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
why shock adapters? why didn't you just buy shocks that work instead of running those sketchy things?
Ordered the wrong shock style and rather than doing the weeks of shipping back and forth I just ordered the adapters. You should see these things, they are beefy nothing to worry about with these adapters. Also the "correct" shocks are on back order everywhere.

Last edited by digitaldisciple; 06-27-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 AM

I can always ship parts for you if you find something ya need (want) From Eugene, Salem, or Portland.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 AM

Been 30 days since I posted on here so update time!

Busy at work and have been using this runner as my DD. Runs solid, used it to tow a 5x8 trailer twice, also took it on a 100 mile camping voyage last weekend and it performed solidly. The only flaws are the oil leak continues I cant find the source....(gonna have my ase buddy get hands on with it to see if he can find something) Also from the torsion bars being cranked down so much, squeaky at points. Handles intown and freeway driving just fine, road noise is a bit much from the tires but I really have no issue with it. My Civic's exhaust was more noticeable and annoying.

Have to finish getting the rear springs and shocks on but due to no compressor I have had to wait to finish out the kit. It was payday today so I will be finishing up ordering all my suspension parts this week. There was a newer looking drivers side cv joint when I got the runner. Welp it blew out already so that will be getting replaced.

FINALLY THE COOL INFO
Picked up a set of nerf bars today. They are designed for a single cab Chevy but due to the fact my 4runner is a 2 seater IMO, they were $15 dollars and BRAND NEW I decided that I can make em fit

A major purpose of this vehicle is to serve as my towing rig. Roughly 1/2 ton of equipment before trailer weight.

Quick Reply: 1995 4Runner SR5 4x4 Reliability Build up