86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I hope to get brave enough to do a tranny this winter. Will be following your lead. On the nuts and bolts, it is really common to find the wrong ones in these trucks. I have made trips to the boneyard just for nuts and bolts. Now every time I am at a bone yard, I come out with cans of nuts and bolts. Well worth it in the long run and some boneyards wont charge you for them if you make a small purchase like a piece of trim, ashtray....
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coryc85
Great work getting the engine out. I usually get nickel and dimed to death buying the right nuts and bolts for a project. Good luck getting all the right bolts, I hope they didn't oversize the holes to fit the wrong ones.
Thanks Coryc85, I'm kind of down again with time to work on it. I'm hoping to take each part I need off and clean up such as the Alternator, power steering pump, etc... I guess it would have to be a part a day or something like that.

It doesn't look like they over sized the holes, just used ANSI bolt and those that they didn't have left them out. I hate that because every time you get to the next bolt you have to switch sockets or wrench.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I hope to get brave enough to do a tranny this winter. Will be following your lead. On the nuts and bolts, it is really common to find the wrong ones in these trucks. I have made trips to the boneyard just for nuts and bolts. Now every time I am at a bone yard, I come out with cans of nuts and bolts. Well worth it in the long run and some boneyards wont charge you for them if you make a small purchase like a piece of trim, ashtray....
Hey Terrys87, actually the best part was buying that Tranny for $35, it gave me more of an idea of what was internally involved, of course replacing one is still a pain, but as I remember the easiest way to get those bolts out was start at the bottom then the ones at the top just place a jack under the tranny and loosen the tranny mount and then lower the tranny about 4 inches. that pitches/tilts the tranny so you can get in easily remove the 2 bolts in about 5 to 10 minutes. As far as rebuilding the tranny that's still kind of new to me, but looks simple considering I have a guinea pig tranny.

As for the bolts, around here they will charge you for the bolts and there's very little trucks from that era in the yards. South florida doesn't have much when it comes to these trucks. However, I know of a scrap yard who buys cars to scrap, and they are kind of good friends of mine. I help them out here and there. I'm thinking when they get those Japanese cars or trucks to scavenger them for those screws, nuts and bolts, some male and female connectors, and switches from what ever era. It shouldn't really matter what year the cars is for these stuff as they can be made to fit.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Sorry guys for the long pause n posting any newer updates. Been busy lately and now the holidays are coming up its going to be tougher to do things.

All said, I have been doing little things. I cleaned out the engine bay, been wire brushing up parts to clean them up and gave up on the intake shown at the first page as that's for a 93 2re, so I've cleaned and painted up the one that came with the truck, haven't mounted the intake or exhaust on the engine yet, as I am waiting till I am drop the engine into the truck. When putting back all the pieces to the intake throttle body, I notice that this one (87 throttle body) is different that the 86 which I use to compare as I put things back together. The 87 intake plumen is that same as the 86, but the throttle cable setup is different it looks more like the 1993 22re setup was, Odd as I was thinking it would be more like the 86. In any case that got me to thinking that when I get going on the 86, I'll try out the 93 plumen with the 86 throttle body setup and see what the performance is like. I'm sure someone has played with that around here.

Also, I cleaned up the power steering reservoir, went and bought some gold metallic spray paint (rustoleum 7710-830). Painted the reservoir, that was bad idea as it looks nothing like the cap. It actually does look like a gold nugget. Well, repainting that is going to have to wait until I find a better match or someone can tell me a better match for it.

I'm looking for a A/C compressor w/clutch. Most bad ones can be repairs with the repair kits, the cost for the kits are roughly 15-20 bucks which includes seals and bearings. The A/C compressor I have now seems to have a bad clutch and may have leaked at one point somewhere, but I didn't see any leaks (oil would be leaking out of the area. I'm rebuilding it as well, but I also need a compressor for my 86 runner I intend to rebuild afterwards.

I haven't taken any good pics, but just before I drop the engine in I'll be snapping so pics to post.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing, the oil pan from the 93 22re doesn't work out as I knew from looking at it something was different. I realized a while back that the 93 22re came out of a 2 wheeler since it didn't have the front end differential they have a larger oil pan. I can't use the one I cleaned and painted, just have to clean and paint the one I just took out.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

All of the Plenums look the same but each year has at least one vacuum line or something that is routed just a little bit different. With Christmas and Thanksgiving coming up, sure several threads will slow down. You will get there.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
I'm looking for a A/C compressor w/clutch. Most bad ones can be repairs with the repair kits, the cost for the kits are roughly 15-20 bucks which includes seals and bearings. The A/C compressor I have now seems to have a bad clutch and may have leaked at one point somewhere, but I didn't see any leaks (oil would be leaking out of the area. I'm rebuilding it as well, but I also need a compressor for my 86 runner I intend to rebuild afterwards.
Sounds like some good progress. I'd like to know more about the AC compressor seal and bearings, where do you get them?. I just overhauled my AC, put new o-rings in everywhere, flushed the compressor with some fresh oil, new dryer, and vac'd it down. It's working, but it's not great. Also going to be swapping out to an electric fan to keep the condenser cool when stopped in traffic, but have not gotten to it yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 AM

Sounds like some good progress. I'd like to know more about the AC compressor seal and bearings, where do you get them?. I just overhauled my AC, put new o-rings in everywhere, flushed the compressor with some fresh oil, new dryer, and vac'd it down. It's working, but it's not great. Also going to be swapping out to an electric fan to keep the condenser cool when stopped in traffic, but have not gotten to it yet.
Hey Coryc85 Sorry for the late response. Thanks First there are several places you can get a kit to repair the unit. Here's one that I know of, but have never purchased from them. http://max-ac.com/advanced_search_re...10P15C&x=0&y=0 You can also pickup the clutch bearing at autozone: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=261726 If you need a how to on the rebuilding these units, I can email you a copy (PDF) or you can look around and find some, there are a few out there. I think there were a few models out there designed similar. I think the first gen had 2 different models with different internals, but same outer casting. These compressors where also used in the corolla's at one point I think. As far as getting these to cool the truck down. Very slim, R12 freon was the best chance of that. With R12 it cooled much better for the design of the unit. With 134a, cools very little, I think the size of the condenser has a lot to do with that based on several factors. I think the condenser needs to be bigger to cool better. Just having cool air coming out of the unit would be great living in South Florida.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Wow, thanks for that seal link. I am definitely going to rebuild my compressor next time I need a recharge. I agree that my condenser is small for the r134, I thought about getting a larger one but figured I'd try the electric fan first since so many people have good things to say about the taurus/villager fans.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Wow, thanks for that seal link. I am definitely going to rebuild my compressor next time I need a recharge. I agree that my condenser is small for the r134, I thought about getting a larger one but figured I'd try the electric fan first since so many people have good things to say about the taurus/villager fans.
I'm thinking it would do a little good to give that a try with the fan. I've heard a little bit about around here and it seems to do a little good.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Just a little update as to what I have been doing this weekend. I've been cleaning up parts taken from 22re pulled from the truck and transferring them to the one I've been rebuilding. Lost a Bolt for the A/C Pulley, so I've been looking for one 14mm.

Pulled the old Lower oil pan and oil pickup from the old 22re, cleaned it up. As most of you know the 22re I'm rebuild was from a 93 pickup. Unfortunately it was a 2 wheeler and the oil pan and oil pickup are different, the 2 wheeler 22re oil pan doesn't really accommodate the front differential. Cleaned up the old one found parts of the timing chain guide inside the pan and the outside was caked with oil, then repainted.

While I had the oil pan off the old 22re I looked at the piston rods and noticed how clean they where. I now they rebuilt this one, but I didn't know when or who, but by the looks of it there couldn't have been to many miles on this puppy, to clean unless they keep pouring oil into the engine because of the leaks.

In any case I got a little curious and decided to open up the top oil cover and check it out. Pretty clean there too, almost looked like the they got through giving it a head job. If it weren't for the outside being so caked with dirty and grease you'd think that this engine was total redone with the last 12 months. As soon as I finish up with the rebuild, I'm going to start taking this old one apart and see what needs to be done and what actually has been done (Piston/bore Size).

Some thing I've never mentioned as it had to much grease on it. I just finished cleaning up the fly wheel, looks pretty good. The Clutch pad seems to be new in my opinion, the only problem is the pressure plate has that wear on it (looking at some of the previous pics)
Name:  oldengine8a.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  592.2 KB

Seems to have been worn down by the clutch plate fork bearing which would not retract because the clips holding it to the fork where on incorrectly and came off at one point they where riding on the clutch plate until they slid back.

I'll see about getting up some pictures next week of what I have been up to at this point.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Just a little update on what I've done today.

1) I needed to get the transmission out of the way when I drop the rebuilt engine into the truck, so I started unbolting the drive shaft. Got to clean those up a little greasy as heck.

2) Needed to remove the sway bar, but had to jack up the transmission because it was resting on it. Did that and put a jack stand under it to hold it up while I take the sway bar off. Started taking off the 12mm bolt and snap, the bolt head breaks off. Moved on to the next one and that one cam off very tight, examined it and found it to be rust just luck I was able to get this one off.

Went over to the passenger side and started to remove that those and wouldn't you guess each of them snapped right off. Weaken do to rust was I afraid of the next bolts and nuts, they were for the sway bar links. First one broke off the bottom nut with a piece of the bolt rod threads. The other side came off with out a problem.

Looking to replace these with toyota nuts and bolts and maybe some aftermarket polyurethane bushings.

Local Toyota wants $4.63 for each Sway bar Link Bolt (need 2 of them) and $1.26 for each outer sway bar mounting bolt (need 4 of them). Kind of better than buying online, by time they ship the parts the cost sky rockets.

I can also buy from epay, but they only have ansi not jsi bolts for their aftermarket sway bar link kits.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Work
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 AM

I'm probably a bit late, and maybe you want brand new bolts, but I have both the sway bar links, the rubber pieces, the nuts, and the 4 outer bolts off mine that you can have for free.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by brpaul
Nice Work
Thanks Brpaul for the compliment. Getting slower getting things done as I get busy with other things like work
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM

I'm probably a bit late, and maybe you want brand new bolts, but I have both the sway bar links, the rubber pieces, the nuts, and the 4 outer bolts off mine that you can have for free.
Hey Coryc85, Thanks for the offer. I'll just buy it from the dealer, the cost to get it to me for just those little items would be close to buying them from the dealer. If you lived closer, I'd hop in the car and get them and start on that transmission I just dropped out.

I had to drive up to Okeechobee on Monday to help out at my friends scrap metal yard. He's buying cars and crushes them. He didn't have much Toyota's there, but he does get them in. I'm going to see about going up there for again so I can scavenge for parts off some of the imports bolts and what not. I was also looking at some of the toggle switches and other little gadgets in some of the cars while I was there, just didn't have the time to get any of them.

Also, they also get few of those toyota truck rims aluminum that people bring in. Looking for some really cool ones that I can snag.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Parts Bin Storage @ HF

If any one is interested and gets the Harbor Freight Flyer There's a coupon in there that offers (super coupon) the bin for $5.99 instead of the $7.99 that it is usually in the store.

Name:  20bin.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  97.4 KB
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Vacuum Rail

I was working on the vacuum rail cleaning it up. I started blowing out the rails and found the last rail clogged. It took me an hour to clean it out. Seems the inside of the rail was corroded a little clogging it. I used a wire (paper clip) to clean it out a little at a time. Blew it out with compressed air, finally it cleared out.

Name:  VaccumRailing1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  682.0 KB
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Installed the intake manifold and under it, there's a pipe that connects under it for the water flow. It required a O-ring 96711-24017, but who wants to spend 3 bucks a small little O-ring when you have a bunch of o-rings in a set. I've read all the issues of it leaking, so I decided it's fruitless to buy the o-ring alone, so I put an o-ring and RTV a small thin layer there to seal it up as I didn't find a gasket for it at all and I didn't like that.

Name:  underintake.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  39.9 KB
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM

I know most everyone here knows that there are different throttle linkages, but I though the changes occurred further apart.

My 86 4runner has this linkage here which was the same same in my buddies 85 4runner at the time we bough our new.

Name:  86links_zpsab443221.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  152.1 KB

By the way this is a real picture of my 86 4runner waiting to be started on. I can't show you a picture of the 85 because my buddy sold his in 1990 for $2000.

here's a picture of the linkage in my 87 4runner. i though these linkages where installed on 1989 and up, but I maybe wrong. I took the intake from the original engine, so this may have happened when the original PO rebuild or got a crate motor and the mechanic just put parts he had to get it going. That's my guess considering all the missing bolts and wrong vacuum tube sizes.

Name:  87link_zps07e70830.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  145.0 KB
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I thought I would use my 86 setup as a reference for my 88 and there is alot of difference. Lesson I learned the hard way. I got some of the Harbor Freight containers and am gettting my nuts and bolts sorted out. Glad you mentioned the sale.

I seen at the store in my area is having a sale on the 1st,2nd,and 3rd of January and sure all of the others will too.

I put a little sealant as well on that pipe as well. Every little bit has got to help. Dont want to have to fix it when it is in the truck.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude