86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coryc85
I'm with Phil, $100 does not sound bad for a tranny with tcase. Worst case, you sell the tcase for $75, and you're out $25.

Where in FL did you find the tranny? Occasionally I see stuff on craigslist, but really not much down here for us Toyota guys. There is a 22re head on craigslist right now for $80 that is supposedly rebuilt and ready to go...I thought about getting it, but I didn't.

Yeah, looks like we dodged a bullet on that Isaac storm. I did NOT want to put up shutters this weekend.

And by the way, great work on the rebuild. I'll have to get some advice from you when I rebuild this 22re I have in the garage.
Been searching around the state looking for parts. Most of the area in Florida that has anything to talk about is usually in the Tampa bay area. Drew has a place in Holiday, Florida and loaded with Toyota stuff from that era. Can't say I've been to his place or talked to him, but I've read, hear and seen a pic of all the stuff he has. Loaded with 1st generation stuff.

As far as the Storm right now, I don't think I myself has dodged it yet, South of Broward is still in the cone. I've been through several hurricanes as I was born and raised here in South Florida. It seems to have by pass or will by pass most of the Cuban mountains which means it can intensify more so. 2pm update is coming up to bad it looks like that Bermuda high shifted allowing it move back closer to South Florida shores.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Grab the flange on the other side of the tranny and turn it. If it doesn't turn...run away!!

Hey Philbert, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes when and if I get to see it.

I'm hoping for the best since it's such a long drive.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:27 PM

There is a 22re head on craigslist right now for $80 that is supposedly rebuilt and ready to go...I thought about getting it, but I didn't.
If you talked to the guy he has a bunch of other stuff that he's trying to get rid of. The head from what i gather has been sitting for a while. He sent me some pictures and the cam looks to have some surface rust. if you plan on upgrading the cam, it's not a bad deal. The listing says $80 or obo. I'm not interested at this point, but you never know once i tear down the other 22re if I need to replace the head.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 AM

We just missed the Bullet with Hurricane Isaac. The Storm is bouncing from land to land Zig and Zagging.

Well all we have is wind and Rain and a few minor down trees. My neighbors avocado tree limb is in my yard. Got to break out the chain saw when it stops raining and start cutting.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
I don't know where in MIA you are exactly, but I have the HF press and you are welcome to come up and use it. We could spend a Saturday pressing the bearings on and off. I've never rebuilt a tranny but I'd be willing to practice on yours!

I did talk to that guy about the head, but yeah, it looked like it was sitting a while. I just did not want to waste $80 on an unknown rebuild.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 AM

I don't know where in MIA you are exactly, but I have the HF press and you are welcome to come up and use it. We could spend a Saturday pressing the bearings on and off. I've never rebuilt a tranny but I'd be willing to practice on yours!

I did talk to that guy about the head, but yeah, it looked like it was sitting a while. I just did not want to waste $80 on an unknown rebuild.
Hey coryc85 i live down in the West Kendall area. The weathers is bad right now meaning a lot of rain since Saturday.

thanks for the offer on the Press I take it HF stand for Harbor Freight. I haven't myself ever taken a part a tranny as well just look at diagrams and manual to see how to actually do it. All i have done was take a tranny and separate the t-case and put it on another and that was ages ago back in 89 when they stole my 86 4runner and stripped it, I bought a used tranny and t-case from this yard in Orlando who delivered the stuff to Toyota of Hollywood (Craig Zinn) so they delivered it to me and the motor and a bunch of other stuff for free, but the tranny turned out to be bad, so they sent only the tranny and I had to separate the tranny and t-case my self to give back to the driver. So if i do take you up on your offer it would be blind leading the blind
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
Hey coryc85 i live down in the West Kendall area. The weathers is bad right now meaning a lot of rain since Saturday.

thanks for the offer on the Press I take it HF stand for Harbor Freight. I haven't myself ever taken a part a tranny as well just look at diagrams and manual to see how to actually do it. All i have done was take a tranny and separate the t-case and put it on another and that was ages ago back in 89 when they stole my 86 4runner and stripped it, I bought a used tranny and t-case from this yard in Orlando who delivered the stuff to Toyota of Hollywood (Craig Zinn) so they delivered it to me and the motor and a bunch of other stuff for free, but the tranny turned out to be bad, so they sent only the tranny and I had to separate the tranny and t-case my self to give back to the driver. So if i do take you up on your offer it would be blind leading the blind

This is a great thread I came across when I had my tranny issues. The guy never finishes this job, but he has TONS of great photos, and tips along the way.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51964797

ALSO, this is a NEW thread (that also references the first thread) of a guy doing the rebuild, with lots of pics:

Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u

No problem man. It's an open invitation. If you feel like you wanna brave it, just let me know and we'll set up a Saturday or Sunday to give it a try. Those links Phil sent are great, we just might be able to figure it out between those links and the FSM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad to see Isaac went around you guys. Going by the FSM, tranny doesnt look to bad, but you nevr know until you get into it. It would be something nice to know.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 AM

Thanks for every ones reply. Sorry for the delay, but my DSL has been giving me trouble for the past 9 or 10 months. The DSL Sync rate has been dropping. Back in December it was 1472 then little by little 1221 to 986 to 864 to 224. ATT customer service insisted my Modem was bad . Wrong and then fight begun. Here are some of the comments, my modem is bad, my wiring in house was bad, my computer has issue, my router is causing problems, my wireless router is causing problems, we will send out a tech and charge you 80-100 for the trip. Wrong again the problem was there there's not mine. Originally when I moved into the house I stripped the wiring from inside and ran new wires independent wires to a Block 66 then one wire to the N.I.D. outside. its better than the old chain wiring. Also did a disconnect at the N.I.D. to prove to the Phone company that there is no interference from any in house source.

Coming back to today. For the past 9 months I never gave up and the rate on my DSL dropped so bad even though they said the rate was acceptable. They sent out 3 techs yesterday and none of them could figure it out. Finally they sent out a ATT cable guy who changed the pair and circuit and re-grounded the wire and bingo back up to speed even better than I was when I got DSL 12 years ago.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 AM

This is a great thread I came across when I had my tranny issues. The guy never finishes this job, but he has TONS of great photos, and tips along the way.

ALSO, this is a NEW thread (that also references the first thread) of a guy doing the rebuild, with lots of pics:

This link is awesome. Gives a better idea on what to expect before treading in unknown territory.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm kind of picky to how things work and some people call it being anal, but here's a picture of the rear housing for the oil seal looking down at it.

Name:  engrear1a.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  57.8 KB

If you remember earlier Philbert said that the torque on these bolts is 9ftlbs, but I over tightened it 15ftlbs. Like a fool having the FSM i never referenced it because I used the closes thing the Hanes manual. I really got to thank Philbert for reminding me about the FSM which is like a bible for these trucks.

Over tightening usual causes issue some where along the lines and it was bothering me. I kept thinking coned threads or stretched bolts etc... So today I took one of the bolts off and boy was i right in doing so. The one bolt I took off was stretched, so off to get replacements, hate doing that as Lowes or Ace carry bolts that aren't any where near factory specs even though they work.

Here's a picture showing one of the stretched bolt, look closely between the red line and the arrows.

Name:  bolt1a.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  36.4 KB

Just pisses me off that I didn't bother checking the torque before tightening. Well better to change it now then to have to remove everything just to fix a leak that may have happened.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
but now you know for next time!

Be careful with the bellhousing bolts too....I learned the hard way. There are bolts that bolt into the block and those that bolt into the mounts that also bolt to the block....the torque is MUCH different on them....I actually broke a bolt (one that bolts into the motor mount bracket thing). Luckily I was able to unbolt the bracket and back off the broken bolt by hand...whew! FSM is the bible indeed - heed it!

Any particular reason you used FIPG red on the EGR on the back of the head there? Haven't seen that before.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM

but now you know for next time!

Be careful with the bellhousing bolts too....I learned the hard way. There are bolts that bolt into the block and those that bolt into the mounts that also bolt to the block....the torque is MUCH different on them....I actually broke a bolt (one that bolts into the motor mount bracket thing). Luckily I was able to unbolt the bracket and back off the broken bolt by hand...whew! FSM is the bible indeed - heed it!

Any particular reason you used FIPG red on the EGR on the back of the head there? Haven't seen that before.
Thanks for the warning on the Bellhousing bolts... As for the FIPG red on the EGR, it just a skin of FIPG on the surface of the paper gasket. I know they say not to, but I have done that to every gasket or actually Copper Permatex them just for security and i have never had a problem in the past. Some say it's bad (I have yet to see this as a problem), but to me it fills any imperfections. I also have a tendency to tight in sequences of 5-10ftlbs on each bolt diagonally just to make sure it bolts down flat. I know that most paper gaskets have chemicals in them to adhese to the surfaces, but I don't rely on that. As well the head gasket I spray copper permatex on them and it seals down well, never had a leak anywhere. I hope I'm right, I got to be doing something right its work for me on the past 6 cars before this.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

These motors like their torque specs. I do the same thing on paper gaskets. Just feels like a little more insurance on preventing leaks.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
These motors like their torque specs. I do the same thing on paper gaskets. Just feels like a little more insurance on preventing leaks.
You ain't kidding... I hate for all this to go down hill with all the work being put into it. At least with proper specs there's some hope.

Also, since the motor I'm working on is going into the 87 4runner, the engine coming out is going to be rebuilt and put into the 86 4runner and the one coming out of the 86 will be my security blank if any of the motors decided to explode on me.

Since I'm pretty much done with the engine, I'm at a stand still, as I don' want to tear down the other engine until I have all the stuff I need to do the install including the tranny. I'll be looking at a tranny this weekend (setup a time to meet with the guy to see it) and if its good, I'll be cleaning that up next week.

Start working on anything else until I get the mechanical (engine and tranny) stuff done first. I think this is more important. Once I get this out of the way I start on the other stuff.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Picked up the Tranny

I just got home from picking up the Tranny. Haven't had time to look it over, but from what I looked over it wasn't to go. I picked it up because I figured I'd open it up and find out if it is really that bad. the tranny and Tcase where separated to start off and no shifters. Put it into gears testing it out and found it to grind a little or what sounded like grinding. Could be a little dirt from sitting around for so long, but I'll figure it out once I open it up, who knows it may just be my imagination.

You guys are wondering why I would pick it up, but the truth is I was at the point of driving away, but the guy said he'd bring it down half, I though about it for a second and past. I got into the car and thought for a second, and went back and offer him $35.00 he said sure, he just wants to clean out his garage. So I got both tranny and Tcase for $35. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll be turning what ever is bad into scrap metal, but for $35, to me it was worth a look.

Tomorrow once I get it out of the car, I'll start cleaning it up and taking some pics.

Last edited by junk4u; 09-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

For $35 one of the two is surely good and you got your moneys worth. Still have a sensor or two,bolts,drain and fill plugs. You will be surprised what you might need off of them. Great score.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Wow, $35 is a score. You could easily sell the tcase for more than that. Great find

My offer is still open if you get into that tranny and you need to use my press to get the bearings on or off.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
For $35 one of the two is surely good and you got your moneys worth. Still have a sensor or two,bolts,drain and fill plugs. You will be surprised what you might need off of them. Great score.
Thanks Terrys87 - I'm hoping for the best, but I think all tranny's can be rebuilt until the degree of wear, such as the gears. Bearings, syncros and seals can be replace easily, but gears, they are either to hard to find or to expensive at least that's what I'm guessing. With that in mind, if this tranny is beyond me working with, I'm thinking I may be able to part some of the gears if need be to the current tranny in the truck now.

Wow, $35 is a score. You could easily sell the tcase for more than that. Great find

My offer is still open if you get into that tranny and you need to use my press to get the bearings on or off.
Yeah really great score Thanks coryc85 can't beat the $35 price. Not looking to sell though, maybe good for parts.

Thanks for the offer on the press it may be necessary one of these days.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude