84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JasonWin's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I found it to hot this weekend to do the welding I needed done so nothing was done saterday or sunday. But this afternoon/evening after work I did a Bunch of stuff. So first thing I did after welding on the last couple patches on the bottom of the bed was to give it a good coat of bed liner.

After that It was time to tackle the passenger side fender. I got it on good enouph for my tastes althought I've yet to decide how I'm gonna mount the radio antenna. I'm still not sure how to take it apart and the nut on the outer part of it is rusted in pretty good and stripped.

Next step witch I hope to do tomorrow will be to do all the body fill, witch includes my welds and a few spots on the body. I also might start wire wheeling the frame to prep it for the bed liner I'm painting it with.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Hey jason,, fellow Islander here,, PM sent
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Alright I did quite a bit of work tonight, but I should probably start with some of the other stuff I've gotten done. Sorry no pics right now, not sure where my camera is at the moment

Alright to I did a all of the body fill I plan on doing for a while, not quite completely smoothed out, but it's done. Hood also has a rough coat of orange paint, as well as back of cab where bed will cover. Allot of work was done to bed. put bedliner on a few sides and got one fender back on (both fenders have a rough coat of orange paint). No that's what was done before tonight...

Tonight I finished putting on the bedliner (on the box, not the frame yet) and got the other fender on. I also finally fabed up the mounting bracket for my turn signals with some thicker steel, instead of that thin sheet metal I had on temporarily. thoses were all painted up and the tail lights mounted back up on the bed. Only thing missing on the bed now will be a little bit of orange paint.

Next thing left to do is to patch up part of the frame (the old just in front of the driver side rear wheel trick) and then wire wheel and bedliner the whole frame ( I'll just do the best I can to get under the cab). Once that's done it'll be time to set the bed back on the truck, Bolt it down, Hook up the lights, then send er off to the shop to get the engine fixed.

Right now I'm considering getting up a little earlier tomorrow morning to throught some paint on the bed, but we'll see how i feel in the morning
Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 AM

Alright, I guess it's time for a little update. I got the bed back on the truck and it's all wired up. Didn't do the work to the frame yet thought because I plan on doing that weldings at a friends place. But after I got that all set up... I ran into a little snag...

I took the truck to the shop to get the engine looked at. turns out the compression was bad in two of the 4 cylinders, one at 70 some, and the other at 40 some. Ya, not good. So now the truck sits. If I find a cheap 22RE I'll drop it in temporarily but right now I've started looking for a donar vehicle to do a 3.4L swap. I'll try and update once I get things figured out, but don't expect anything for a little while.

Right now I'm gonna be working on getting my car in good shape for the winter, and then giveing it some crazy mods just for the hell of it, like giving it sliders and a push bar (I've got a bunch of thin tubing not good for anything else so I figured what the hell ) and I think I'm gonna pick up a 3000lbs winch for the front of it today Once I get some work started on the car I may start a thread for it, Should be a good laugh.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Alright anouther little update. I think I found a Parts truck for $500 or less. 91 pickup with 22RE 5-speed. engine is supposed to be good. so as soon as I can go pick that up (it's a fair drive and will have to be trailered) I'm gonna put that 22RE into my truck to get it back on the road.

I'm also considering swapping the rear end over to utilize the parking brake guts that're hopefully in good shape. Then maybe rebuild, regear, and disc brake swap the 85 rear end, Funds permitting of course. As you can see I updated my OP with a "dream" mod list.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
looks good, looks good!
more pics
Old 10-12-2008, 03:52 PM

If I could find my camera I would gladly post up so new pics. Lucily I hope to pick up a new DSLR soon. An Olympus evolt E410 to be exact. Should have some new pics then.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 PM

Not really any updates but Bought a new camera so here are some up to date pictures as requested.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Still no update on an engine for the truck butrecently I've been thinking about what I want to do for a tailgate since I'd like to be able to put stuff ing the bed without haveing to worry about it rolling out the back. So I came up with this idea.

On the right I'd have hinges from a jeep door so that the tailgate could be completely removed and some sort of latch or something on the left. As you can see the lowered part in the center will be dezined to except a spare tire.

What does everybody think?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 AM

I like the idea of that but I'm not sure I'd want a spare tire hanging off the tailgate. First, if you want to lay anything over the bed you have a problem of the tire obstructing a good fit, second, opening and closing the tailgate is going to be a pain with the larger tire fitting snugly against that and your custom bumper. The cool thing about that is it looks as if you have a lot of different possibilities for mounting other tools too, like your jack and shovel/axe combo. I'd put them there and leave the tire in the bed, or better yet, mount it in the bed.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the input, as for opening it being a problem, I hope to design it so the tire won't hit the bumper. and as for it being hard to put stuff in there. that's why I plan on using the jeep door hinges. to make it easy to remove the tailgate completely.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Yeah, but in order to get the Jeep doors out of their hinges, they have to be at just the right angle otherwise they just don't budge. You'll have to engineer a way so that the tire either a.) sits as to not cause the hinges to lock up or b.) come off easy.

I had a CJ5 for a long time and I hated taking those doors on and off....I mean I loved how easy they were, but they still weren't as easy as they could have been, especially with the kind of ingenuity that is out there these days.

But, good luck, I'd like to see how it turns out!

Last edited by Johannes; 11-09-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Alright, time for a little update. I picked up a new engine to put in the truck. It's a 22r that's supposed to be from an 85 2WD with only 160 000km on it. If it is an 85 engine I should be able to swap all my EFI stuff over. Then I'll see about completely rebuilding my other engine... We'll see.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:54 PM

So I got the new engine up on the stand and started cleaning it. She's now cleaned up to my liking and awaiting the parts from my 22RE. But first I've gotta get it out of the truck. And I'd like this blanket of snow to melt before I attempt that, luckily the engine stand i bought this week goes on sale tomorrow so I'll be able to get some money back on that and probably buy anouther one to but the 22RE on. I'm also gonna see about getting a new rad for the truck since the current one is falling apart and held to the truck with wire and a piece of wood Anyway Here's a picture of the engine just after I started cleaning, and the part of it I'm getting rid of

Last edited by JasonWin; 11-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Alright I picked up a few things today. I got a new K&N Oil filter, new battery, and some gasket maker. I also Found out that the engine stand I bought on monday went on sale this weekend so I got the difference and bought anouther one . So I now have a stand for both engines. I hope to start removing my 22RE tomorrow and have it out before wednesday since it's supposed to be rainy. Then I can take my time doing the important stuff like swapping over the EFI and the Oil Pan.

Last edited by JasonWin; 11-23-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice did you stand come with bolts to mount the 22re?? if not what size did you get?? in the spring once the snow melts im going to be pulling a 22re and want to tear into it!

your truck is lookin good..
Old 11-23-2008, 03:55 PM

No it didn't come with bolts. I just found the right size in the hardware section at Canadian Tire. I just bought a few untill I had the right size. they were only about 40¢ a piece so it wasn't expensive to pick up a few.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 PM

Another quick little update. New engine is pretty much ready to be dropped into the truck. Got a brand new radiator from Canadian Tire(had them on sale for like $100 off) to drop in too. Just waiting for some decent weather to drop the engine in. If that doesn't come, the shop should be getting cleaned out this week so there might be enough room to do it in there.

I really miss my truck
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM

This thread is pretty much full of quick little updates isn't it? Anyway new engine is in the truck. All hooked up and everything as far as we can tell. Engine turns over fine, starter goes fine. But there's now fire. It was about 11:00 last night when we got to that point so we didn't look into it to far. Hopefully we'll get to do some troubleshooting tomorrow night so I can drive it by the weekend.

Any advice on what to check first? What wire unplugged would be the most likely culprit? and the like. Basically just a good starting point.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Wow, I didn't relize how long it's been since I updated this thing (not that I've gotten a whole lot done since my last post). Anyway The engine is running now (not very well yet but we're working on that) and me and My buddy have put a bug push on trying t get it ready for a big Country concert we're going to this weekend. Unfortunatly due to bad weather all last week it doesn't look like that's gonna happen, but we'll see.

First thing here's a picture of the truck as she sits right now.

Next here a picture of the new rad that went in when the new engine did.

Put on brad new Spark wires yesterday since the old ones were in rough shape.

New clamps for the battery leads.

Started painting some of the cab.

And one of my fancy new toyotafiberglass fenders

As you can see the hood is a little bent out of shape. That's because when I was driving it over to my buddy's place (that's where we're working on it) the hood wasn't locked down (just the latch was holding it) and it flew up on me. Luckily I had planned on taking the hood and doors off my parts truck anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. Anyway, I think that's all the Update I got for now

Quick Reply: JasonWin's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread