84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

grant526's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!! I need to build my crawl box for it. I believe I have all the parts. Just gotta take the time and find the tools. lol

Troy, I wish I could right now. Is it a complete 3rz or just the long block?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Only thing it doesn't have are some pulleys, and intake setup, which shouldn't be too hard to find...
I've also got the 01 head, so it can be used (after
Much research) with both ignition systems...

I'll cut you a deal... 500 and I deliver it cleaned and in a plastic tote for you in pieces, ready to rebuild/reassemble...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM

lol I wish I could. But I don't have the cash, time or space. Not to mention harness, computer, intake, pulleys, adapter and probably more. But if you have a top shift gear drive t-case, preferably with 4.7s in it... lol
Old 05-14-2011, 06:32 PM

anything new?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Sadly nothing really new with the truck. Changed jobs and moved, so I've been occupied with other things.
Looking for a set of 35x12.50r15s and debating about how to go about setting up the shift levers when I do finally get my dual case setup built. I think I've settled on using the RADesigns setup. It may require a little modification of the levers, but should allow me to keep the bench seat. Though it looks like I will likely have to modify the tunnel a little to clear the linkages.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that truck has gone through a lot of changes. lookin good. I picked up an 85 last year for $1500. Got about $1000 in it so for. I need to get some 5.29 gearing and lockers. Wow they get spendy$$$. Good luck with your project
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that beige color looks super good. one of my favorite colors for sure.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 PM

After a Much LONGer hiatus than ever planned, I have again made significant progress on the truck! Unfortunately, it has been sitting mostly untouched for the past few years, only being driven on occasion. But in that time, I have been compiling parts to continue the build. Over the last several months in particular, I have made Huge Strides in my collecting of parts. I’ve purchased an ARB Air Locker for the rear axle, to replace the Lincoln Locker it has had since 2008. ARBs in both ends has always been in the plan, but money hasn’t allowed for such. The front will remain open until such time that I can afford to build an ARB and install Longfields at the same time. I don’t want to over stress the factory birfields, I’m afraid I’m on borrowed time anyway…

I’ve had a Marlin Crawler MC07 dual case adapter sitting around for way longer than I would like to admit, as well as a donor t/case. But never took the time to build a crawl box, knowing I didn’t have the means for drive shafts and such. I’ve now not only built my crawl box, I’ve totally rebuilt my t/case. Being an 85 non-turbo truck it has a forward shifting transfer case. I had to convert that to a top shifter, and while I had it apart, I also re-geared with Marlin’s 4.70:1 Crawler gears in the rear case. While building my t/case, I deleted the interlock pin and am installing a Trail-Gear Twin Stick shifter, allowing every available option for gear selection.

To hold all the new dual case goodness into the truck, I have purchased a BudBuilt Dual Case crossmember. It looks SO Much Better than the factory crossmember and accommodates the dual cases beautifully!! I can’t wait to get this thing out and play with it.

As it currently sits, the truck is inside, with the dual case mocked in for driveshaft measurements and marking for floor modifications to accommodate the rear case’s shift levers. The driveshafts are ready for pick at Driveline Service, in West Sacramento, and the ARB diff is sitting on the bench, ready to go in. I also have Marlin Crawler Diff armor ready to weld onto both axles.

In case anyone is curious about what I’ve been up to the last couple years, I have made some significant changes, some of which have severely limited my available time to work on the truck or frequent the online world.
At the end of 2010, we closed the site I was at and I changed positions within Sterling Caviar, moving to a different facility. In May 2011, I left the Fish Farm for a customer service job and have been there ever since.
In September 2012, I had the opportunity to go to work for John Pagel at Evil Genius Racing, in West Sacramento. So I jumped at the opportunity!! As some of you know, I have been working on race cars for my buddies from time to time for years. I have helped them run the 25 Hours of Thunderhill event in Willows, Ca for 7 of the last 8 years. Over the years I have worked on several teams including with John in 2008. In 2011 I had the opportunity to work on the 949Racing team. And in 2012 I crewed with them all season, including being one of their crew chiefs at the 25 in December 2012. So the opportunity to work for John has brought me deeper into the field of auto racing and allowed me to hone my skills as a welder. Primarily I am a Welder and Fabricator, building roll cages and roll bars for all kinds of cars. However, I do help out with mechanical and other work as well. We work on just about all Manual Transmissions, differentials, and drive train components. Look us up!!! We’d love to build more off-road cages; both, internal or external! We custom bend all tubing to fit as tightly as possible to the contour of the vehicle, thus maximizing space inside and safety of the structure.

I don’t have any pictures to post at the moment, but will have some soon.