84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I have decided to let you see what the interior looked like, I think you need to see the roof consul as well as the dash, because I think they belong together. I made everything match the best I could, especially seeing as how all the instruments were the same pattern all the way through. Even though the vehicle is a 1985 4 Runner, this is a 1992 dash from a Hilux, which was a real mongrel to fit. There are also 3 radio's on board if anyone is curious, the one in the dash is a 27MegSSB CB, the one one the floor is a Codan HF unit(our VKS737 network) and the Mic you see on the side of the footwell is the UHF CB, this mic has all the controls on it, the radio is actually behind the rear panels of the car as is the rest of the Codan unit. The Codan mic is on the windscreen pillar.

Last edited by dunnarunner; 11-21-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 AM

I just thought I would mention that I am actually contemplating another dash setup, i have bought a VK Calais instrument cluster to put into it, it just means I will probably put the original 1985 dash assembly to carry it, for those who are scratching their heads. Our GM vehicles are GM Holden and in 1985 they had a model called Commodore, and the upmarket options model was called a Calais which also had a digital dash in it, I took a liking to it and I have found an instrument cluster and I am thinking of installing it into my 4 Runner. The thing I have to point out is I am only using the instrument cluster, not the whole dash. Still doing some research into it for now, there are a few different measurements to finalize yet.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Freakin awesome!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:41 PM

Talking

Well the time has come to get something else done to this old bus, I finally got my transmission back and so in it goes. Once all the flexplate bolts are tentioned up and box ready for installation.

Time to put it on the transmission jack and start lifting it up. I chose to put the transfer case on later, as I am a bit tight for room to move in my single garage.

Then once it is in place, it is time to bolt it all together and start making it look like something is happening. Then I should be able to get my measurements for the driveshafts.

Then time to bolt the transfer case into place and see how much of the floor I need to cut away for all the shift levers to come through, I know there is only 2.

Then after some cutting of the floor I can place the base plate onto the floor and start hooking up the shift levers.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 PM

Talking

Well there is no room for this exhaust to fit in here, I have only got 3mm clearance on these headers, so it looks like an exhaust manifold for me, I haven't got a price for a set of headers to be made up, so we will see what happens later on.

But one thing is for sure, it is starting to get closer to giving this thing a kick in the guts to see if I can make a noise. I am not sure how the O2 sensor will take not having an exhaust system hooked up.

I have more than enough room for a clutch fan here though, I have been wondering what type of fan to use, but now I have decided to use a viscous fan for a couple of reasons, 1 It won't be as noisy as a solid fan, nor drain the power out of the engine as mentioned to me once before.
2 I won't have to worry about electrics stuffing up with mud and water going where I was hoping it wouldn't.

Then last but not least I have the linkages and shift connected now, so all I need to do now is get the measurements for the drive shafts to be made up and continue with a few other electrical jobs that I have been putting off, (I hate electrics)

Old 01-20-2010, 03:09 AM

Talking

Well I have thought long and hard about my fuel system and I was never happy with it where it was so I have moved it around a bit. I thought it was too vulnerable where it was and so this is where it is now.

I have also made up a couple of block off plates and some other brackets and started to really clean a few things up.

I had been advised to fit a viscous fan to this engine and so I have followed this advise and now it has one.

It has plenty of clearance and I now have to make up a shroud to go over it all, I have made up a cross member to carry the transmission, because I had to move the transfer case 90mm rear ward.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Well I have done a little bit more to the old girl, I welded a bashplate, and welded the ends on for the gearbox cross member. No clamps holding it all together anymore.

Then I made up a carrier for all my relays, I couldn't handle having a big long string of them, and I wanted it to be reasonably neat as well. The wiring will be re routed to the outside of the inner guard. This will make the wiring unseen, but still accessible.

Then I decided I still didn't like where the injector pump was, so I have finally found somewhere out of sight, and it made my inner guard look much better. (less things visible the better)

I tested out it's location and nothing will be in the way of things, the mudguard doesn't touch the injector pump, and it will be easy to get to if I need to.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Talking

Well I have trimmed it back and painted it up a little, and it all fits nicely where it is suppose to go, seeing as how it is not made from the same material as the original one I have gained a little bit more ground clearance, every little bit helps huh.

I also have found a nice place to have the surge tank, and I am happy with its location, so it can stay there now, I must be getting old, I must be happy where things are, or I will keep moving them until I find something I am happy with.

I am going to have to put it outside soon as the garage will not allow me to get out if I don't stop doing things to it. I have considered a 2" lift in the suspension, but I would have to let the tires down o get it out so they will have to wait for the moment.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wow you just swap motors like nothing.

great work... looks awesome , do you do all the paint work also.

the shower is a great idea, i like it ..what did you do about motor mounts any pics .

thanks and keep the pics coming ..
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 AM

Talking

I do still have some pictures of the mounts, in Australia we have a number of places that give us a chance to put the Holden V8 into our vehicles, but not many cater for the conversion for the vehicles fitted with the 3Y or 4Y engines, so I made up some for myself. The cable you see in a couple of shots is actually an earth lead, from the motor to the chassis. I am a bit paranoid about not having a good earth on my vehicles.

I never took that much notice when I made them to give you any more than these, I also raised the motor and transmission by 50mm, or 2inches if you prefer. I did this so I wouldn't have the transfer case hanging as low as they do after I have raised everything else. I am looking at raising the suspension another 2 inches but I will also be looking at fitting GU Patrol axles to the vehicle as well, this will widen my track by almost 9 inches. I am hoping this will assist in stability later on.

I also forgot to say I do all of my own work, paint, interior, fabricating, getting confused a lot. the only thing I cannot do is machining and balancing, I have to let someone else do that, I even did my own fibre glassing, so I am pretty proud of what I have achieved. I have never owned a 4x4 before so it is all a new learning curve for me, and I am loving it. The vehicle will be getting a new coat of paint in the near future, so it will look different to what it does now. I will be showing it's progress here anyway so you won't miss out.

Last edited by dunnarunner; 01-24-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 AM

I am not sure if it makes much difference, but I will post a couple of pics of our little V8, This is a Holden 5litre engine, the only thing I have done really is stroke it to a 355ci and that is all really, in standard form they are 304ci, but there were some motors made by Holden that did not need machining to get the 355 crank into it. These engines did not have a size cast into the block, and this meant for those wanting to stroke it, all the machining has already been done. Externally they are all the same, the strokers use the 383 Chev pistons and a new crank. Once they use a 350 Chev crank and cut and shut it and then reground it to fit. Now days there are a number of cranks available for this mod.

I just thought I would share a bit of info about our engine, just in case some one wanted to know what this Holden engine looks like.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
very nice unit , and great work ... I read the thread , but must have missed the new hp and tq ratings of the new V8 ..

keep up the great work

Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Talking

Hi there slacker, you never missed it, I never put it up, I do not know for sure if I am going to get the same numbers, but then again they really don't mean much to me. I feel the power when I put my foot down, if it breaks traction easy then I have more than I really need, other than that it doesn't bother me. but the figures the book tells me are;
Power output: 215kW(288bhp)(Din)@4800 rpm
Torque: 475Nm(350lbs/ft)(Din)@3600 rpm
These figures were out of the Holden book, so I could not tell you if I am getting those figures or not, and like I said they mean nothing to me anyway. The other thing is I don't really want to know, I find if I were to have the figures then others will try and do better or want to race me to prove they are better, and I never built a race car. I just made a nice little 4x4 with a bit more power than it originally had, I even intend to put 4.2ltr badges on the rocker covers to discourage racing, as the 4.2 is the smallest of the Holden V8's. I am also watching your thread with interest as well. We never got the Trekker down here.

Clive.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 AM

Talking

I have finally fitted the power steering pump into place and adjusted the mounts to fit inside the Toyota's engine bay, and things are not to bad at all. I used a VT Commodore mount and re drilled the mounts so it was a bit taller, so it would miss the steering box itself. I have found using the Commodore stuff makes life a bit easier than the serpentine belt I had used before, because the belt system I made before worked well on the 308, but things needed to be altered again to fit everything around the injected motors different parts.

I then took to my bull bar and mounted the transmission cooler in behind a grille I had fitted earlier in time. I will probably be mounting the air con condenser down here as well, I have not made up my mind yet, but there is plenty of room here for that if I decide to take that path, I am not fitting a winch to my vehicle so I am happy with what I am doing.

Clive.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Talking

Today I made up a pair of mounts for the struts I will be using instead of the rod. I started off using a bit of 32x12mm flatbar and tapping an 8mm threaded hole into the plate, the 2 outside holes are for the mounting bolts and the centre one is for the ball that holds the strut in place, I bought it for a VB Commodore and they work a treat.

It all went together so well I had to go and have a sleep for a while.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 AM

Talking

Hello again, I have been out in the garage again and I have decided where I will bring my snorkel in from, and I am going to use a 100mm pipe for my snorkel, just so it doesn't choke up. I thought I had better let you know that it does not foul when the hood is closed. I did check that one out before I got too carried away.

and then because I am not using the hood latch, because I moved the radiator forward I am using a very old idea, remember these? Haha.

I still got a bloody long way to go yet though so be patient, some of these things don't go to plan and I have to look for another way around it.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 AM

I also have to mention that when this is all done it will be getting a new coat of paint, having some of the parts outside exposed to the weather and being blown over in the wind means some of my panels do look the worse for wear.

Clive.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Red face

Just while I remember, this is my throttle cable retainer I made up to hold the Commodore cable in place.

Well I have been putting it off for about as long as I can, I am talking about my electrics. I have found other things to do and done everything I could think of to avoid the inevitable. I am really uncomfortable with electrics but it has come to the point where I must face the worse nightmare I can think of. I finally finished making up a harness for my lights and mounted them on a relay mount, and sent as many wires as I could through the guard, and along side the original harness. I could not get them all to go through there without stuffing around with a new harness I had just bought for the EFI to work in my 1985 vehicle.

Then it is time to start mixing the old harness along with a pile of extra wires I never realised I had, and then the mix and match game I have to play with for the engine to be working and all the gauges to be wired up as well. I have no problem cutting and welding the body work or getting my hands dirty with the engine and drive train, but the time has come.

Some how I have to make this lot look neat and tidy, and work at the same time. easy for some I suppose, but then again this is only the engine bay, I still have to do the interior yet.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash

dunna runna,

how hard was the dash swap, and what exactly did you have to do?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 AM

The dash was not at all as easy it you might think. I don't have any pictures of the swap, but I had a lot more work than I had bargained on, more time consuming and fiddly bits to deal with. I am not good with electrics and I slowly found a way through it. I have decided to fit a totally different dash into my vehicle now, so the head aches will start all over again. hehe. I am a glutton for punishment it would seem.

Quick Reply: dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread