Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 83 Build Restore

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I had this guy over at the house to do an estimate for a shop I would like to have and he is into rock crawling. He said he has a 79-83 long bed that is supposed to be in pretty descent shape and would take $200 for it. I will look at it and see. That would make my restore half way done.

Let me know if you have too mutch stuff like we talk about.The cab i found is full of bondo...did'n buy it ...And still loking for the inside parts,trim and everything.

For your bed it still in shape? Do you rebuilt it or go fiberglass ? Mine is something i can rebuilt cauz'i found a guy in Alberta who make floor parts and wheel hump.

Marc-Antoine
Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Didnt get anything done lately, but did get to see my friends and it really got me to thinking of this ones possibilities. Seems like things just go so slow. But patinece and persistance.

Got the next couple of days off. Just hope to have good weather. Looks like rain here and there.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are getting a little more done than I am!!!!! I just got my floor boards cut out. where did you say you live? Maybe we could meet up when our projects are done it sounds like you are doing the same thing I am.

Hey are there any you pull it yards out there I need some black interior pc.'s?

Have you ever checked out peakoffroad.com or are you on there already?

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 10-11-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I live in Anderson. That would be great to meet up some time. Once I get just the cab and frame done I want to get it in a driving mode and meet up in it. Still got aways to go. But I want it running as soon as possible.

We dont have any in the salvages. I seen one advertised in a Tusla salvage yard a few months ago. Probably nothing left by now. It is a 2 hour drive to it. I only have one descent door panel and pieces of dash. I may have to make some door panels til I can find some.

Got a feeling the interior is going to be a pain to get together. My dash is ruined, but I have seen dash covers, so with carpet and descent seats, shouldnt look to bad.

I will checkout peakoffroad. thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey I custom made my door panels and kick panels out of 1/4 plywood and now I will cover them with vinyl, I got the fist layer of fiberglass and resen laid over my dashpad the other night and I think it is gonna look pretty good I just need to sand it down and lay some more resin over it and I think i will be ready to sand and spot fill then paint....I hope to get my seat and door panels covered this weekend but my engine is suppose to be in so I dont know. Do you have the old door panels to make paterns from , I just busted mine up and threw them in the trash! but I could still make some patterns out of my panels before i cover them if you need a pattern.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello dirtdobber.. I have a panel that is in bad shape. My wife is really wishing she had been more involved in my last build. She isnt into the nuts and bolts but she is intrested in sewing.

I am on the prowl for a used sewing machine. We are going to try some cheap Wal-mart material and practice using it. We both watched Overhaulin and seen some of the ways they did their interiors and thought we would try it.

On the panels we are going to try and get some foam and lay some material over it and sew it and see what it looks like. Then lay it over a old panel or make a panel out of some paperboard like material that Toyota used. If it works out we will find a heavier duty needle or sewing machine.

On the seats, I have an old 91 truck seat and am thinking about taking the fabric off and undo the seams at the threads and make copies of of it and then try and reinstall it and see what it looks like.

We will start out with cheap material and see what happens. If it looks great, we will do it ourselves with good material. Just another way of making this build more personal.

Sounds easy in our heads, might be a total flop, but time will tell. Never know til we try.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been helping a friend on his truck as he has helped me alot. I havent been getting as much done as I would like on mine, but did get the rear drive shaft painted. I took a picture of it, but it is cell phone and had a lot of glare.

A while back we went to a flea market in Tulsa and I found some old junk, rusted up tools. I got them for a little of nothing. I took them to a bench grinder and got some of the rust off as best as I could and them soaked them in some rust remover.

Tools work great and like new. So I did get a little accomplished. The weather has been a hold up also. I am just steadlily chopping away. I am hoping the week end is descent.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not been making as much progress as I would like, been a little busy, but did get some cleaning and getting the engine bay prepped for primer. I am hoping to just get the engine bay painted soon so as I can start putting some things back on.

Not sure what all goes back on and I want to eliminate some emissions so to have a clean looking engine bay as possible. Passenger fender and behind headligh area is now ready for primer. Doesent look like much, but dont want to get to many pieces laying around.
Before

After

Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow. you are making some awesome progress.

do you have a motor for it already or no?

the "devil's in the details" is how I operated too. felt like I wasn't getting anywhere for a while, but then when it all stars coming together and the pile of parts starts getting smaller, it's an awesome feeling.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks 92... You are right about it seeming slow and then starting to move quick. I just need to keep reminding myself of that. I have been busy on several other things and just havent been able to spend the time on mine as I would like.

I bought an 83 Celica about 5 years ago for the tranny for $200 for my flatbed for better gas mileage. The back half was rusted nearly in two. I orgianlly bought it just for the tranny, but since it had the 22r in it, I dedcided to get it for that reason also.

Supposedly all it needs is a mechanical fuel pump. An older lady owned it all of her life. If it wasnt so rusted in the back end I would of fixed it. The interior was really nice. When I stripped it down the only thing that went to scrap was rear axle and shell.

I plan on looking into it next month when it just to cold to do anything outside. I will do a compression test on it and see how it looks. At the very least, I will pull the head and have it serviced and replace the timing chain. I have a new oil pump in the shed. I will do a full rebuild if I have to but am hoping it doesnt need it.

I am trading out bodywork for this truck, and my friend has a stripped down 79 frame and tranny he said he would throw in. That takes a little pressure off of me.

I just got to keep reminding my self that it will come together. If I really wanted to get it going quick I could put everything together, but then I would only be disappointed in my self as I think this can really be a sharp little truck if I just be patient with myself.

Thanks for reminding me again
Old 10-15-2011, 04:34 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
true that. definitely at any point in both of my builds, I could have zipped things together and shaved off alot of time. but in the end i would have regretted the inattention to detail traded for a quick fix. i'm definitely not as impulsive as i used to be and appreciate the trade-off of time and quality versus quick and questionable.

i am very thankful for having vehicles that run and the luxury of having things to putz around with.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is going to be my parts page. Some I wont use, but may help others.

http://dashtops.com/dashboard/autodash.cfm/178

http://www.designsofsteel.com/ABSDoorPanelsTOYOTA.htm

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ov&p=sm

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-17-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Yesterday, I got a little down as the cab is being dificult. I will have another post on that in a few.

Today, things turned around. Still not done with it, but the bed I really thought was just good for repair panels, but now is actually fixable. It will need to be done by someone with more experience then me but it is possible. I could Bondo it in, but that just isnt me.

I know a guy that can put in some patch panels where the magic marker stripes is and it would be a good solid bed. The rust is just on the passenger side and a few small spots on the drivers side.

Will be working on passenger fender. It was bad, but I got the hammer and dolly work done on it and feel good about getting it in shape.

Drivers side just needs some small work.

Passneger side bed is now saveable. Looks alot better then it is. The bedliner in the back is going to the trash. Anybody in this area wants can have it, just come and get it. Have no idea what it would cost to ship.

Left fender just needing little work.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-16-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Anybody have some body mounts they want to sell? I need the ones below the kick panels on both sides. Mine are not usable. I have checked to see if a 4runners were the same and it appears not to be.

Im not looking for perfect ones, just some good solid ones. Also would like the drivers cab corner, just need the outside piece. Probably wouldnt weigh more then 5 pounds to ship.

I found floor pans for $39 a piece in the first link above in my parts thread. Found a few others things while searching the web.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM

body mounts are the same for 79-88 4x4 trucks 4runners are different
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM

That box side looks pretty ruff just take one area at a time. Your really moving along with this one Terry.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:05 PM

I wish my bed looked that good......lol
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Anybody have some body mounts they want to sell? I need the ones below the kick panels on both sides. Mine are not usable. I have checked to see if a 4runners were the same and it appears not to be.

Im not looking for perfect ones, just some good solid ones. Also would like the drivers cab corner, just need the outside piece. Probably wouldnt weigh more then 5 pounds to ship.

I found floor pans for $39 a piece in the first link above in my parts thread. Found a few others things while searching the web.
Jc have panel floor that fit our truck!!??
Or which Model have you choose , i try and did not found one .

Marc.
You speed on that project!

Last edited by marcfj-45; 10-16-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I really like those ABS door panels for $49 per pair. Another idea for door panels I saw on a cheap mods thread on a J**p site was to cut those cushion floor mats that look like diamond plate. I saw the rubber diamond plate mats today in Big Lots for $18 for a 42" x 92" piece. I tried to show a picture but it's too big. It's post #99 here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/x...75/index7.html
Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 4x4yota.. I checked my runner for the body mounts and they dont look the same. I have been going to the salvages here for 5 years and not once seen one of the 79-83 in the salvage yard. I am just looking for options, havent found any on the net and am looking at ordering across country when I do find some.

The only other 79-83 I found around here lately is a roll over and they want $1900 for it. These trucks are rare.

Hello Jason.. It still is in bad shape, but it is repairable now. At first I figured the panel would need cut off. It has alot of work left to get it right. I spent and hour and a half to get it to this point. I thought my first page had a good before shot of it and it didnt.

I need a class in Photograpy 101.

Hello marcfj-45.. I went back and edited the post. I remove the link. Somehow I posted the wrong link. I did find a site that had them for $39 for each side. Now I got to go find that site again. grrr..I was looking for those and mounts. I stumbled into that site. I will let you know when I find them.

Thanks for the compliment on the speed. I try to get at least one thing aday done, even if it is a small thing. It adds up.

Hello Nervo..I might wind up doing something like that for awhile. My panels are bad and someone put a speaker into a descent panel. So I will need something.

I spend quite a bit of time searching the net for solutions or parts. If I find something that I think would be of intrest to others, I list it on the bottom half of my first post on where to find it. I constantly am updating my threads, I did this on my 88 rebuild and got some good responses from it. If there is something that I can add to make this thread useful, just let me know.

Now I got to go find that Floor pan site.Ughhh

Quick Reply: Terrys87 83 Build Restore