Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

82 shortys 82 swb p/u build

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 shortys 82 swb p/u build

this is how it started. Picked this up in 08 for $3600.00. There arent many 1st gens around my area at all. Its an 82 sr5 22r w/ a hedman header. It is a nice clean first gen has sunroof and tach. The p/o covered the ouside of the cab in rockguard and painted it the wonderful mushroom soup tan it was. It had a large list of things he had done to the truck like fluids, hoses, belts and stuff. I dd'ed the truck for two years with a few problems, ujoint in fr diff were bad, ended up all three u joints and cv ball rebuild kit, po had done clutch but but pressure plate gave out and swapped in a Centerforce dual friction kit by my local mechanic because was mid winter with no shop. I also repainted the tan with Safety Orange tremclad as the rockguard was just horrible to paint over an the tan was peeling everytime i washed it. Nov 09 we had a house fire wiped out eveything but the truck and car cause the wife and i were at work, kids all got out ok with sitter. I have a few pics but i dont like looking at them just bad memories. In the process of racing home i hit a set of double speed bumps leaving work in a hurry and cracked the frame where the rear leaf joins in the front. had a freind scab a couple plates on and three months later the whole frame slpit around the plates and an the frame bent up. I had it flatbed,ed to a local 4x4 shop that was starting up and i knew the guy from his welding work he does at the plant i work at. A year later it was done with 63 chevs and the frame all cut out patched and fishplated, very strong now, he also mounted my front bumper ihad made at another shop

I was so happy to have my baby back. I wheeled if all last summer and entered it in the local mud bogs

my favourite wheeling buddy!!!!

the pit

this awesome lil zuki was there and rocked his class againts big chevs and fords lol

the only other yota

after and a 25k drive to friends for cold refreshments lol

the truck was running goood and very reliable as a dd. Mid feb this year we hada cold spell where it got down to -35 to 40 and the slave cyclinder froze up overnight at work, we left it for the day and tried the next morning by letting it run hoping the engine would thaw it, no go so the next day we used a small propane torch and heated the live and slave up pushed the pedal and the clutch fork snapped off I had the truck towed to my my local mechanic and told him pull the trans i would find another to replace it with, i chose to replace it as the the original was kicking itself out of first ever since i got it and it was extremely annoying. i put a want add on craigslist and for a response that a guy had a trans for 200 with tranfer case that would work. being in a rush i went and got it right away and dropped it off at the shop. The next day they call me and say noway that trans will fit in my truck and they cant get the crossmember off cause whoever put it on used an impact and stripped the inner nuts in the frame......... Hmm if memory serves correct it was them when they installed my clutch the year before I went down to see what they were talking about

w56a/b on top and an L50 on bottom.
after some searching on here it seems this trans will fit with some work and will be an improvement and base for most other engine swaps that might be in its future. I ordered a single case crossmember from bud at budbuilt (that guy rocks, very awesome to deal with!!!)powdercoated safety orange to match the truck. i found a friend of mine had just moved to a house close by with a 2 car garage that was empty so we struck a deal and i had my truck towed over there. i really dont want them touching my truck anymore. since we had to extend the driveshafts anyway to work with the new trans i waqnted a lift as well to even out the 63's in the back so i went and ordered a set of 4" reg tg springs and 5" shackles all new spring bushings, spacer plate.

orig mount, actually this one is from the w56 mine had no rubber left
bombproof replacement!!!

i did not get a shifter with the trans and after a few headaches i found one that was usable, always try to get the shifter w/ the trans, i reused the shifter on the transfer case. I used the one fron the w-56 for a few reasons, it has tabs on the front side of the case that the l50 case did not.
w56 newer style
l50 case
the newer one also had a bearing retainer clip

so as the truck sits right now we have the w-56 in with transfer case all new marlin seals on output shafts for both trans and transfer case an budbuilt crossmember installed, front springs hung, and front diff tore apart to redo all seals and add some armor

white knuckles cause she is a white knuckle ride lol my buddy almost fell over laughing when i told him that. he thought was a great idea lol

hubs cleaned and repainted graghite grey and orange, poor lighting hard to see orange

one piece of armor, waiting on BigMike to release new knuckle gusset kit to finish off

got these off craigslist brand new guy didnt like them once he had them powdercoated orange, but i do

hubs b4 and after

some spring shots.
I made and installed some stainless steel shackles for the back to match the front lift. We made them at 7" and it seems close i might need a 2 in block to even it out till the springs sag a bit.

between top of tire and deck

from ground to deck

some new seats i got to replace my stock buckets with

This is how it sits right now. Im waiting on the Marlin Crawler gusset kits to come out.... i have the extended brake lines here now and axle truss from Sky, a TG flip kit for the front, i just need to order my hysteer kit any opinions there ????? seems to be three really: All-pro's, Marlins, or TG ???????
i have the ford shock hoops but no pics of those to use and am thinking 14" bilstiens. I have the ps box mount but no box yet. Bleed clutch, measure for drive shafts and have a pile of stock parts to get rid of. once i get gussets i can get axle housing welded and start reassmbling. ill be keeping the open diff for now as Zuk has gone holiday for the summer lol. other then driveshafts and hysteer and ps box i think im almost done my w56a/b swap and 4 inch lift. Long live the 1st gen!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
Brooks .. my old "stompin' " grounds ....
I havent been back for many , many years

Trucks looking good

Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Workin on it. 6 kids at home so money is always tight. but i get something shiny every now and agan
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
use to go to school with the guy that owns the sporting goods store , down town .. Dave , if memory servs me.. Tell em Corey says hi - class of /80 -

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Awesome truck
Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM

ya Dave stillruns the home hardware store altho i think his 2 daughters look after most of it now. ill tell him hi next time im in there
Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Moved to build section.

Are you really short?

:wabbit2:
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Cool build. I would love to find a set of those tripod jacks you have..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 AM

They are 6 ton Mastercraft jack stands from Canadian tire. They sell for $60.00+tax here. I had to get them when i pulled the front axle, i had my little 2.5 ton ones under the axle and thought how am i going to reomve that when its holding up the truck???

And no Wabbit 5'10" but a short attention span oooh shiny
Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 PM

hey i'm new here. Got a 2wd 83. Love it and plan to share pics and stuff; if i ever figure out how to use a computer. I was surprised to see you in Brooks? I'm in Medicine Hat(just down the road). Got any ideas for me? I want to have some fun with my truck, but I'm not sure where to start. Not sure if lifting makes any sense for me?