Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2WDoffroadx
dont care too much for the white. I liked either the dark forest green or a primer black. But aside from that, it looks TOUGH!
brutal dude, tough SA. one of a kind!
white is only temporary since i had the paint layin around and the truck needed to be one color, i would have kept it multicolored but Johnny Law was eying me up a bit...i dont like it either lol, she's goin flat black, with grabber green strips on the side and on the center of the hood

Originally Posted by MAIDEN
i have a confederate flag on my truck as well and i get so much ☺☺☺☺ for it!! LEAVE ME ALONE!
amen! where i live it pretty much a litte hick town so i dont get to much flack around here but jimmny crickits batman! ya get ur head cut off on a place like yotatech
Old 06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
You have done a nice job on your rebuild...any plans on bobbing the bed? After living in NY for 5 years I would be curious to seeing what you bed looks like under that bedliner..
Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice...

le vividasensuprasesodacho Tech'onch;titlandoso loco la Toyoda revolucion!
?COMO ERES?

?DE DONDE SON?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

yo soy muy yoda loco...

muy supradadosensusesuprelatala...

I'm mayan... on the inside. and Aztec, for the outsize.. in magnificent city pylo-erections.

I OWN Boulder, but no one person does, si so it's fine... nopo cause it's not...
Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good and keep the pics coming! Nice 1st gen yota truck
Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
You have done a nice job on your rebuild...any plans on bobbing the bed? After living in NY for 5 years I would be curious to seeing what you bed looks like under that bedliner..
yes i do have plans on bobbing the bed, 7"s to be exact, but that plan is on the back burner until the truck sees a garage..working outside really sux, and the bed is actually decent, the bedliner i just put in a few months ago from my donor 82 pickup, only one *repair* spot maybe about a 6"x6" on the driverside wheelwell floor, even thos she has some rust along the lip of the bed rails, this is by far the best stock bed i have ever personally seen on a 1st gen pickup
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM

found out my front ratio is 4.10s a while back with my unknown stock rear ratio that i found out today is 4.38....this random freakin ratio, when did Toyota use this ratio and in what application?, i'm swaping in my old (4.38) third into the truck in place of the 4.10s for obvious reasons....just weird to find that it was 4.38 (35/8)
Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 PM

update!
re geared today! soooooo smoothly and simple, i didnt break down the knuckle either! haha! pull the steering arms and the backing plate on the knuckle, then the c-clip on the shaft and the thing comes off in one piece!

pics

the 4.38 third from the axle that was in the truck

torn down

4.11 third

told u it comes off as one

third, shafts and whatnot all back in

as she sits for the day

still need to hook the calipers up and bleed the brakes, then fill the rear
stay tuned the rear rebuild is coming soooon

Last edited by 4banginRunner; 07-02-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Nice. Dont miss your chance to lincoln lock the rear.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i fly the flag on my truck all the time, i do get looks, and certain ppl dont like it, but i dont care. like ya said it happened 140 years ago, get over it. ill always fly my flag and its never commin down.

but anyway nice build up, and good job on gettin her back on the road!!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by FirstGenTankota
Nice. Dont miss your chance to lincoln lock the rear.
was thinkin about it, but i'd rather "experiment" on one of the many spare 4.11s i got layin around instead of my needed 4.38...decisions decisions tho haha
Old 06-29-2007, 06:59 AM

Yea that prolly a wise choise.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:17 AM

Lookin' good. Personally I like the 32's better than the 35's anyways. The white is also sharp but I can understand wanting something different. Somehow I've ended up owning alot of white vehicles. Not really digging the flourescent green pieces though.

Thanks for posting up so many pics. Definitely interesting to follow.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM

little bit of an update i guess

got my calipers hooked up today, bled the brakes, filled the front diff, inspected my rear axle seal leak..ugh, i'll head over to advanced or autozone to see if they are still back ordered tomorrow... filled the rear diff, brake cleaned the heck out of the drum and shoes, hooked up my recharged battery..nothing..that one is dead, batteries hate me i swear, but i dont want to pop for an Optima right now in the stage shes at, eventually tho

started researching a bed bob...seems insanely simple and easy with some forthough, so tomorrow, i'll be taking the tape measure to the truck and seeing how much i'll be choping out, i'll also be taking measurements for a front stinger bumper (i found a really great pic thread on pirate ) i might use some pipe insulation and PVC to mock one up , i also am going to need a rear bumper to, that might wait until the bob tho

more updates tomorrow! stay tuned
Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 PM

Good luck with the bed bob. I did mine a while back and it was on of the funnest projects on my truck. I went with about 17.5 inches off the body and 5 off the frame. The max for long beds pickups is about 19.5 inches but I plan on using longer leaf springs soon, so i left a couple inches of room to move the shackles rearward. If your not experienced in welding on body sheet metal, make several cuts in the section of bed you removed and pratice welding them back.

Another thing that I did was cut a piece of sheet metal from the removed bedside about two inches wide and a foot long. These I welded upright over the seem on the inside the bed sides for extra strength. I welded these gussets to the bed before I had totally welded the bed back together, because then when I welded the exterior seam it worked like a three way joint, the seam is joined together and to its backing.

Here is a link that I found helpful when performing my bob.

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=186501

Hope this helps some.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:58 PM

good info there! me and my buds took a gander at the whole truck today, looks like it's going to be about a 9" bob..not a definite number but pretty close

the real axle seal is leaking really bad, i gotta replace that, the front axle seals are leaking as well...ugh it never ends haha i love it
Old 08-04-2007, 05:22 PM

started bobbing the bed today, turned out i'm going with 16"s lol, more than my guestimated 9"s, only got the back half cut off today, ran out of daylight
I NEED A GARAGE !

picssss

dear lord the before shot...baby got back

taped

for the pic whores

like i said ran out of daylight to take good pics of the rear section cut off
stay tuned, updates tomorrow
Old 08-04-2007, 06:47 PM

im down for this build. great progress. i wish i could do this kind of work. but it's off to college for me!! only summer projects on the calendar.......
Old 08-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Man, I can't believe how fast your truck has come along. I've been trying to build momentum on my '80, but I'm new to yotas and there aren't enough hours in the day. Dig the pics, keep them coming!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MHale
Man, I can't believe how fast your truck has come along. I've been trying to build momentum on my '80, but I'm new to yotas and there aren't enough hours in the day. Dig the pics, keep them coming!
fast?! haha, i though u guys were gunna start yelling for me being to slow, i took like a month break from doing anything on it!

anywho, cut the bed and frame and got the rear portion tacked back on

piccccs

frammmmmmeeee

early bronco people know how to weld rusted metal

Body = 16 inches cut
Frame = 7 inches cut
finshed product = priceless

Quick Reply: 4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread