Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
tried the brakes again today, nothing at all out of the bleeders, me and my buddies figured to try the 10mm bolt on the side of the master blead that, got some air out, put the bolt back in, filled the master again try the bleeders on the calipers...nothing, what is up..anyone?
also no clutch at all...pedal just bounces off the floor
Old 05-31-2007, 03:48 PM

got bored today, so i decided to suck it up and cut the fenders! woohoo i joined the club

mmmmm clearance

wide shot, flat black fender is the color i am painting the rest of the truck

and since it's body lifted..i improvised with the bumper brackets..broken 17mm 3/8s sockets and 2 or 3 washers will do it! i'll get a tack or 2 on the lower mount, do realize this is merely temporary, until i get an actual beefy winch bumper/stinger
Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on man, you sure putting alot of work in this. Glad to see it coming along.

My rig used to be "multitoned" too.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome job man, its so cool to see a fellow teen and his friends out working on the trucks and acutally know what they are doing. Even doing their own fab work. Anyways the truck is looking awesome. Just make sure you get a 2" body lift for the bed!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by FirstGenTankota
i'm thinking of making a sticker of that "Jeep Eater" seeing how the truck was wrecked because of one and is comin back!

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
awesome job man, its so cool to see a fellow teen and his friends out working on the trucks and acutally know what they are doing. Even doing their own fab work. Anyways the truck is looking awesome. Just make sure you get a 2" body lift for the bed!
got the body lift on the bed today, took all day to get the god forsaken seized original mounts off...only one mount bolt was "sawzallable"...ugh neways, my camera ran out of juice and the weather was not cooperating when it was on to take a decent pic, i'll get sum up first thing tomorrow tho!

just for kicks, i posed up a 1st gen 4Runner roll bar i got laying around, just to see if it would be cool, my thought was to mount my extra bench seat in the bed, and have the roll bar mounted as if it was in a 4runner and run a homemade bikini top for my buddies on the trails...i dunno i took some pics...what do u guys think of the idear?

4runner style

"normal" roll bar set up
Old 06-02-2007, 05:30 PM

got brakes and the clutch working today! hooraaay! haha, used a MityVac for the brakes, got all air out of the lines but i got nothing out of the master to the fronts...welp, after 5 mins in the chiltons manual, me and my dad discovered that when i thought i was bleeding the master with this screw on the side, that was actually the stop screw for the front/rear piston in the master...ooppp..my bad haha, so i went up to the attic where i keep a stock pile of spare stuff, got my master and booster from my old '82 parts truck and put that on...bleed the system, and got the brakes done! yay!, as for the clutch, a come-a-long on the frame and the slave worked great to bleed that...now for tomorrow to wrap things up and monday new inspection sticker!

sry no pics today...forgot to charge the camera :/ i'ma bum shoot me haha
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM

got it running good today, new 2.5" straight back exhaust with a glasspack, she still has some bugs but it moves! and stops! horrayyyyy

pics

first movement in a month!

glorious!

i am retarded

flag back on the front, she has her dignity back

the 4runner, donating her battery for a good cause

i also decided today to not run the cruise i've been shooting for... i really dont want to show her off with the truck rigged together to get it there, i'll take my time and get everything right instead of half-donkeying it
this thread is not over tho! i will keep updated on my still motivated progress!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM

782 views an i'm posting the most, you people are cruel haha
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM

well i got her streetable..i've been running her for 2 days and working out the bugs as i go, i have no hazard lights..o well, i need to adjust the parking brake, i need to bolt up the shocks (there on but with shady little grade 5 bolts just to run around town for a few), and i need a bigger battery cuz the holddown does nothing now (bungee cord yippie!), i put her back down on the 32s..the 35s wont pass inspection and honstely, the are to big for the gearing at this moment. soo i got bored today and was thinking about buying some ultra flat black and painting it soon, but realized that i would probably rush it and it would look like crap...so since i have about 3 cases of gloss white MRO in my basement, i figured i'd paint it all one color to look less like a beater, and to act as sumwhat of a base for actuall paint..

here's some pics
b4..the rainbow warrior...and yes the door says Jeep Eater lol

mmm white hahaha

and a night shot (the front of the visor is not painted yet)

again this color is merely temporary until i fix the rust spots on the bed and get a better drivers door and get the d side rocker on better
Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 AM

Nice lookin truck, and very nice build! However, I'm not crazy about someone from PA having a confederate battle flag on their truck. Do you know what that flag really represents?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tderose
Nice lookin truck, and very nice build! However, I'm not crazy about someone from PA having a confederate battle flag on their truck. Do you know what that flag really represents?
oh the people with this flag already! yes i do know what the flag represents, and i do respect that, there are alot of reasons surrounding the flag as well in which i know. Heritage, Not Hate, maybe i'm painting it orange with an 01 on the side (i already have the dixie horns), maybe i have friends and family in the south, maybe i'm a rebel... for what ever reason I choose to put that flag on the front of my truck, its not coming off.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice build keep up the good work. I am looking to get an old truck and do the same thing
Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 PM

as with the never ending fun , i was looking through an old 4wheelparts catalog and came across a Shock Conversion Mount kit from Warrior Products..seemed like a good idea seeing how i got a bent shock from the wreck on there now, and i got a few sets of eye/eye shocks around, after seeing the price ($25!) and a similar set from Total Chaos Fab for $34..i decided to make my own, went to the local h/w store and got a peice of 1.5x48 1/8" flat plain steel for $6.19, got it home and bent it up, drilled some holes, put some bolts in, test fit, boom! i'll get pics tomorrow of them since its raining now

but here is the $25ish set from Warrior Products
Old 06-09-2007, 06:20 AM

great build up. I was in to jeeps at your age and then i got smart and went to the yotas.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 PM

again, i've been slackin with the pics...but i've been runnin half doors for the past couple days, and with a taped on inspection sticker..i i just found out tonight, no rear lights with the h/l's on..bummer, starting to feel like a cop magnet with the brighter than expected white paint and "loud" exhaust, i dunno just had to vent for tonight i guess, i'll address the wiring tomorrow and swap on the full doors as well, i'm really considering a Painless Wiring "offroad" wiring harness, and making a custom gauge cluster, its realling starting to get annoying with all the little minor electrical problems
Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

i have a confederate flag on my truck as well and i get so much ☺☺☺☺ for it!! LEAVE ME ALONE!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by tderose
In my history class, I learned that the Civil War ended in 1865. By my math that is about 140 years ago...GET THE %^$ OVER IT!!!!

It is just a flag that doesn't represent anything in todays world. There is another flag people should be interested in...

Jon
Old 06-10-2007, 04:54 PM

dont care too much for the white. I liked either the dark forest green or a primer black. But aside from that, it looks TOUGH!
brutal dude, tough SA. one of a kind!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by jriebe
In my history class, I learned that the Civil War ended in 1865. By my math that is about 140 years ago...GET THE %^$ OVER IT!!!!

It is just a flag that doesn't represent anything in todays world. There is another flag people should be interested in...

Jon
I see that you're at Camp Lejeune near Jacksonville. Probably not a North Carolina native? I live close to Seymour Johnson AFB and 90% of the people there are not southerners. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you're not, I'm going to assume you don't know the meaning of the confederate battle flag as well. It doesn't represent anything in your world, but being down here, you know as well as I do, the Sons of Confederate Soliders is a very supportive and active group throughout NC. Here it was a way of life, but for the millions of people who sport the stars and bars that are not southerners do it because they think it makes them look tough, or that they think they're some big redneck. That's the image that is mostly potrayed in northern states by those that have no clue what the flag symbolizes, and the image that most southerners do not like as that's not what it means.

Keep up the good work, and thank you for everything you do in service to this country! I know a lot of marines down there! Stay safe!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by MAIDEN
i have a confederate flag on my truck as well and i get so much ☺☺☺☺ for it!! LEAVE ME ALONE!
You get a lot of crap for it because you're in the wrong part of the country. Stars and bars in California! Maybe someone from Alaska is next to say they have one on their truck!

Quick Reply: 4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread