Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread

after a recent wreck with a Jeep https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/wrecked-my-79-pics-inside-56k-warning-114385/
my beloved 79 pickup will be getting rebuilt and getting the care she deserves.

i will try to take as manny pics as i can during my rebuild

plans include
New Cab
New Door
New Fender
New axle
homemade 1-2"lift
5spd swap
and general look over of everything

this was the interior after the wreck..it uncovered a massive rot hole in the floor

gutted for the most part

and the rot hole, spanning from the door to the tranny hump, the fiberglass
continues up over the tranny hump over to the pass side...i knew the cab had some rot that was "fixed"..but not this much

axle removal time!

here is you comic relief..i threw my spare rear under the front as to look to the passerby that all is "normal"

fender off

"new" axle from my old '82 pickup..hey it's got gussets! haha

stripped down for the most part..doesn't look like i did alot but it takes alot out of ya throwing an axle around all day
removed the leaf springs, calipers, drain the fluid, removed the ps box (finally got a drag link socket..yay!) removed calipers from the 79's axle, and removed the tweaked drag link from the 79

i will update whenever i can

Last edited by 4banginRunner; 08-28-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats some great progress man. I was so sad to hear that truck got hurt, but its great that your able to get into the restore process so quickly.

While you have the axel out and everything are you going to upgrade anything, go to crossover steering maybe. This would be perfect time to weld and axel truss on. I've got one I could send you if you like.
I like your sig, that is got to be the catch fraze for this thread.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by FirstGenTankota
While you have the axel out and everything are you going to upgrade anything, go to crossover steering maybe.
right now, I'm looking to just pretty much put it back together and be drivable, with a basic going over of the entire truck, 5spd swap and body work, then later this summer i hope to convince my parents to buy me a 87 4Runner i have been eying up for about 2 years now for my HS grad/b-day present, so i can make the commute back and forth to trade school next year, if that happens, I'll sit the truck for a bit and dump the almost $2,500 into Marlin suspension, steering, and gearing i want but thats alot of time and money..plus i m doing this all outside..no garage..yet but it'll happen
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM

just got back from the junkyard where i landed a sweet deal on a new cab!, this includes, doors, interior, fenders, hood, grille, basically just unbolting body mounts type dealio...and for only $150, the cab is in alot better shape than what mine was/is. the rot is only on the drivers side by the body mount (typical) and is an easy fix. the truck is almost a 100% twin to mine, everything is the except the donor has a solid back window as mine has a slider. the cab is IDed as 9/79..so you can still call it a "79" lol, I'll be heading back there this Friday to pull it....that'll be a long day haha...man i love junkyards!

now all i got to do is get my cab preped for removal and get the new axle under her! woohoo, i am in such a good mood
Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM

got my new cab today!!!!! it took only 2 1/2 hours to completely remove a fully loaded truck off its frame, and into the back of my dads truck! the guy was amazed that only 3 teenagers and some hand tools did all of this in such a short time without completely destroying anything (i say completely b/c we did manage to bend the shifter in half and cut the brake and clutch lines)

here are some quick shots, i'll post up some more detailed pics tomorrow..it's been a long day today

I'm goin places! haha
Old 05-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Glad to see its coming along. You got a great deal on that cab, I think if I found something like that around here I would buy it for a spare. Or just keep it in the front yard to look cool.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:39 PM

started really tearing into the new cab today..got all the wiring and whatnot out, so she's down to a pretty much bear cab with glass and a dash, the rot in the floor was not the only rot discovered...sadly the rocker is wasted and the bottom of the door jam is a tad gone..but i got my 79 as a donor for the donor cab haha, my rockers are perfect
on to the pics:
rot on the donor cab (more floor there than my 79!)

removed what i could with my hand

rocker rot..grr...spotwelds arent fun to drill out..time consuming

poof its gone, exposing yet another problem

then i went and got a can of the ultra flat black camo series paint i am always posting up about, and a can of grabber green (high temp engine paint) and went after my spare axle! and i love it!!!!!!

rolled under

dang she looks beefy, i love the color and man alive she looks tall with no weight on the springs...those are 33s for comparison folks

i'll be bolting in the axle tomorrow and then tearing out the rocker and other peices i need, then hopefulling cutting a peice of new metal for the floor...all to hopefully reach my deadline of June 10th for a local car cruise i have always wanted to be in!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:53 PM

MAJOR update today...got the cab off and had sum fun putting it out in style

ok here we go

beginning of the day, and yes those are 35x12.50s on stock suspention..she'll run um just fine

cab gutted

one last shot

off! notice the slanted, uneven A-pillers....

tyme to have funnnnn

oh YEA!! got IFS Flex?

cut the top off, then the rockers out for use in the new cab along with various other parts..then the front end bent in half so we cut that up!

its raining now...so more pics when the rainy weather passes..which equals monday

she got put out in style and wont be forgotten
whatcha think? haha
Old 05-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Awesome work and thanks for the pics.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:39 PM

well after finally getting my camera back from my shop teacher, i can now take tons of pics again lol..i missed that thing, alot i didnt get to take pics of..anywho, i finally started on the floor today, cut out a new floor from 18 gauge sheet metal and rolled sum beads in it! woohoo, the pics are of the floor cut, then the floor self-tapered in (along with the inner rocker and new support peice connecting the door post and the inner rocker) i know it lloks like crap now..but i'll clean her up, it'll look good..i promise

ok enough talk..here's some pics

ahh, she's coming along...still shooting for a June 10th deadline....
Old 05-26-2007, 11:58 AM

better start haulin' ass with it then
Old 05-26-2007, 02:13 PM

got the floor partialy welded in with the help of my dad...the wonderfully crappy $99 welder from one of those traveling tool sales..arg, kept jammin the wire...anyways we got rained out, that makes me mad
Old 05-28-2007, 05:26 PM

Great movements in progress today!

floor welded in, and the cab back on the frame! woohhooo
not a whole lot of pics to show, i'll have alot more tomorrow

i started hooking the wiring back up running the brake/clutch lines, and started the install of my "new" 2" body lift! yay

PIIIIICSSSS

moments after the union of new cab and old frame

aired the tires back up and started putting doors/fenders/hood, etc on

parts of the "new" body lift...feel free to criticize

o yea, "2" inches

couldnt get a good pic of the new height in the dark but i tried, a teaser until tomorrow i suppose

Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Wow you are working hard huh! i would cut the fenders flat with the front bumper. IMO it looks mo' betta'
Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
Wow you are working hard huh! i would cut the fenders flat with the front bumper. IMO it looks mo' betta'
thats what i have planned, i just wanna do it with them on the truck
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lookin good
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
"JENNY!"

Glad to see fellow rednecks are alive and well in PA!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 PM

here are daylight pics as promised

this pic shows the differntce in hight between the bed at stock height and the cab with a 2" body lift

and on an even cooler note, i got her fired up today! everything is hooked up except the dash stuff and the heater stuff...but i ran into a problem.. trying to bleed the brakes and there is nothing coming out of the bleed valves...and there is a hissing/sucking air noise when the pedal is pushed to the floor...the pedal is somewhat firm until about 2"s of the floor, then appying more pressure, it gives out and goes straight to the floor...also, the clutch master is filled up but there is absolutly nothing in the ways of pedal...any idea?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Air is trapped in the brake system. I would recommend bleeding all the brakes. It may take two or more times before the air is purged from the system.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by amusement
Air is trapped in the brake system. I would recommend bleeding all the brakes. It may take two or more times before the air is purged from the system.
but no air comes out of the bleeder valve, and i cant really hold pressure with the pedal

Quick Reply: 4banginRunner's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread