2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

5th Gen 4Runner Vibration Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2013 SR5 has the shimmy also. Starts around 60-65mph. Balancing the tires seems to help some, but it comes back with time. I have the stock Dunlop AT20 GrandTrek's on it. I'm hoping that when I change tires in a few months, things will improve. The Dunlops are about gone with only 35,000 miles on them. I really feel like they are a very cheap tire. I will go with either BFGoodrich TA KO's or (more likely) the Falken Wildpeak AT's.

Hopefully this will fix the shimmy of death!!!!!! lol
Old 07-03-2019, 06:05 AM

2019 4Runner with Wobble

Hey guys, I wanted to hop in here and see if anyone has found a permanent fix to this issue. I have gone through 2 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels and the problem is still there. I only have 1000 miles on my 4Runner and purchased it brand new. I did not research this vehicle very well before buying and bought it because everyone loved their Toyotas. My wobble happens between 55-60, I have had the new tires balanced 5 times and have had 3 alignments done.

I told them that I had a hard time believing that the tires were the issue since the problem is intermittent. It seems to me to be a weak steering or suspension component, but I was not sure if anyone had actually found the issue. I have a 3" lift on it and run 285s for the tires. Has anyone had luck replacing the factory struts? Any help would be appreciated, I am tired of dumping money into this thing with no fix.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:52 PM

From another forum, you can try this
https://www.lextreme.com/forums/thre...e-4#post-91306

"had a vibration/shudder problem at about 80km and, like many vibration problems, it took me months to chase the problem down. It ended up being something that is easily overlooked when you are checking out drive shafts and the like.
The centre nut on the companion flange where the drive shaft is joined to the transfer case was loose by a very small amount, yet it was enough to create the vibration and I am pretty sure it cost me a speed sensor plus a lot of time and money. This nut is the big 30mm thing right at the centre of the flange that attaches to the output shaft in the transfer case. You can only get to it by removing the 4 drive shaft nuts and taking the drive shaft out.
The vibrations were driving me nuts and I chased everything to find what it was, rotated tyres etc. But I didn’t catch this thing in time and I am pretty sure the vibrations chewed the plastic cog on the speed sensor in the rear of the transfer case. Because I had an auto the damn vehicle lost the ability to select gears going down a gimongous hill in peak hour traffic. When it let rip the old girl would not drive at all unless it was in first gear or reverse, just revved all over the place in the other gears like it had turrets syndrome. Having a speed sensor dependant auto-tranny go in the middle of traffic is one thing but I am glad it wasn’t somewhere else. Being stuck with only first and reverse gears in the middle of nowhere would be second only to having no gears at all on the “pain-in-the-a$$-o-meter”.
Long story short, when the mechanic removed the speed sensor the plastic cog was chewed so it was replaced. I got them to tighten the centre flange nut and the vibration was finally gone."

Hope this helps!
Chris_Colorado