Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Nitto Terra Grapplers ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nitto Terra Grapplers ???

Since the "Search" function isn't up to speed yet I thought I'd ask who has them and how they like them so far....

I'm going to swap wheels and Tires (Michelin M/S) from my 02' Runner to my wife's 2WD 02' Pre-Runner and get new wheels and tires for the Runner.

Discount Tire has some nice wheels that I like:
Wheels

But they only choice of A/T tires are Pirelli Scorpions, Yokohama Geolanders, Michelin LTX A/T, and Nitto Terra Grappler AT.

I really want Dueler Revos and have found a Firestone Dealer that has them in stock in 265/75/16 and 285/75/16. Also COSTCO can order them and have them in a week in any size.

The Michelin M/S that I have on the Runner now are 275/70/16 and I do like the control and feel of the wider tire. I may still order the 275/70/16 Revos from COSTCO and then have Discount put them on the wheels and transfer the Michelins to the Pre-Runner.

Last edited by ALBPM; 02-15-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

If you can...get the Dueler's, thats the obvious choice.

If not, one of my friends has the Nitto Terra Grapplers on his lifted Dodge Ram and he likes them but I remember him saying something about bad wet traction (then again he has a pickup so loss of traction is common) and then, something about them not being the best in rock crawling but in mud they are supposed to kick some serious a$$...I can find out more when I see him at school tomorrow.

Good luck man! :rockband:

OK, so I like those smilies a little too much...sorry.

Fink
Old 02-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the Revos!!!!

Nice rims too.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

The wheels are clear coated and have a gray powder coat between the spokes - Nice but not too "Bling" $140.00 ea
Old 02-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Steve Hunt (aka SteveO) has the Nitto Terra Grapplers on his 4Runner. I have not heard any feedback from him on these yet.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:12 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I got my nittos about a year ago and am still happy with them, I got a good deal for them when I got them and think I may have been one of the few first ones here with them. The are holding up well no problems in the rain, beach or snow since I was able to test that out this winter and they did well.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70979170tuUlmT
They also look great for a AT tire opposed to a a MT which I didn't want since most of my driving is on the pavment.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

I have had the Nitto's on my 2002 Runner and was realy happy with them. In fact I have a new set coming for my 03 on Tuesday. Heres a pic of them on my 2002 that I no longer have :cry:

I had no loss of wet traction when it came to my Runner. Pickups tend to be a little light in the arse end.

Doug M.
Attached Thumbnails Nitto Terra Grapplers ???-4run-mods-small-.jpg  

Last edited by 02Runner; 02-15-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Runner
I have had the Nitto's on my 2002 Runner and was realy happy with them. In fact I have a new set coming for my 03 on Tuesday. Heres a pic of them on my 2002 that I no longer have :cry:

I had no loss of wet traction when it came to my Runner. Pickups tend to be a little light in the arse end.

Doug M.
Very sharp lookin truck!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Tires

Bamachem has the tires that you are asking about on his 4Runner. Send him an email or a PM, or perhaps he'll chime in, but I know he has been traveling on business lately and might not be getting any "yotatech" time.

I personally hate BFG tires, I've never gotten good mileage out of any of the sets I've had, and I've had quite a few, since I live in a town that has a Uniroyal/Goodrich plant that makes them, and primarily makes BFG truck tires. The plant is actually right across the street from where I work.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Woodbert has the Revo's. He's had them about 6 onths or so. I'm pretty sure he's completely satisfied with them.

I think I read the Revos are one of the best overall tires you can buy. They are extremely quiet, good wet traction and don't wear very fast.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Mickey Thompsons or Cepeks if you drive on pavement.

Thanks MTL.

Doug M.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was a PM, but I'll post it here so my comments will show up for others who search. Anybody in the area is more than welcome to drive my truck to see how they like them. (with me in it... )
__________________________________________________ ___________
I LOVE THEM!

I went from 265/70 Michelin LTX M/S to these. The Nittos are just a hair louder on the highway, but still VERY quiet and VERY smooth. The michelins were horrible in mud and even worse for cornering since they are a passenger tire with weak sidewalls, so that's why I got these. The Nitto's are EXCELLENT in every situation I've put them in so far and the LT rating with the stiffer sidewalls helped tremendously with cornering on pavement. They also have a treadwear rating of 500. Some on the board have said that they don't have good wet traction because of this, but they have never driven a vehicle with them on it. The wet traction is actually BETTER than my LTX's. I used to spin the tires easily on quick accelerations with the LTX's. I can't get these to spin on wet or dry pavement unless I'm turning and going up an incline and get on the gas hard all at the same time. I would say that the overall on-road smoothness is about the same as the LTX's, but the wet traction is much better with the Nitto's. The off-road traction is in a league of it's own when comparing it to the LTX's. NO CONTEST. I couldn't be happier for an all around A/T. I've never owned Revo's, and all I hear about them is good stuff, but I really don't see how they could be any better than the Nittos. I didn't like the look of the Revos when I was in the market. To me, they looked like an oversized car tire since the tread looks like something made for the street. I can't wait to do a little wheeling with someone who has the Revo's so I can compare them side-to-side in the same situation.

In all, If I had the knowledge I have now and had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Nitto hands-down.

Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Terra Grapplers

Indeed, I am currently running the Terra Grapplers. I have really enjoyed the tires, and they balanced very well on the M/T wheels.
Check out the below link for more info:
http://www.hunt4steve.com/off-road/other.htm#te

One of the deals about these 16" wheels is that they come in D range, which is a little stiffer, but with a good balance, you really don't notice them. They are pretty quiet on the road, and the traction off-road was impressive.

However, in my quest for bigger and better, they are up for sale!
Anybody interested?

On another note, I just finished (almost finished) my coil-spring swap, here are some pics.

http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130002.JPG
http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130004.JPG
http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130005.JPG
http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130006.JPG
http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130007.JPG
http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130008.JPG
http://www.hunt4steve.com/P2130010.JPG

Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

ALBPM,

These tires ride nice and look awesome too. However, with Steve's 295's you will have to trim a lot or add more lift. I tried them on for size last week and I rubbed like mad.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
ALBPM,

These tires ride nice and look awesome too. However, with Steve's 295's you will have to trim a lot or add more lift. I tried them on for size last week and I rubbed like mad.
rubbed???....I would say more like stuck. It was a good thing you didn't drive off with those tires on, you may have accidently run over your own front bumper and valance.

Indeed, you will need to have a lift. I don't know how much, I have gone way past measurement, but some lift will be needed.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Good point.

However, consider the 285's sold. I trimmed and I went wheelin' yesterday to Rio Puerco and I went places I would have never been able to go with my wimpy a$$ AT's.

I think I will still add a 1" BL but for the street they aren't rubbing at all.

I'll e-mail you.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Good point.

However, consider the 285's sold. I trimmed and I went wheelin' yesterday to Rio Puerco and I went places I would have never been able to go with my wimpy a$$ AT's.

I think I will still add a 1" BL but for the street they aren't rubbing at all.

I'll e-mail you.
glad to hear you like the tires. You're runner definitely has a bitchen stance now.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteveO
rubbed???....I would say more like stuck. It was a good thing you didn't drive off with those tires on, you may have accidently run over your own front bumper and valance.

Indeed, you will need to have a lift. I don't know how much, I have gone way past measurement, but some lift will be needed.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

So, Jim you have the 295s on your Runner
Old 02-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Back to my dilemma.....

Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos - Nittos - Revos -

I got the Revos....... 265/75/16........

Firestone had a buy 3 get 1 free Sale today. It was tempting to get 285s but since I drive ~40 miles/day for work I didn't want my gas mileage going down the tubes.

So, I ended up with the only set of 265/75/16s left in town. They are load range D so they are 8 ply sidewalls. Inflated to 50 psi they ride very nice surprisingly. The "C", "D" and "E" load ranges also have a deeper tread depth than the "SL" rated Revos.

265/75R16 119/116R D - 3000lbs.-65psi-16/32nds-31.8"
265/75SR16 114S SL -2601lbs.-44ps-13/32nds - 31.9"

Got to go... Discount Tire just rounded up the new wheels for both my wifes Pre-Runner and my Runner.

What a Day!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ALBPM; 02-16-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

No, I tried the 295's on 4" BS and I couldn't turn the wheels. They actually "got stuck", as Steve said on the front bumper flares. They are huge on a Runner with a 2" lift. First off the 4" BS messed me up, and you probably need 3" plus (body & susp.) with trimming to run them.

I have 285 BFG MT's on Black Rock Crawler's, I love them!

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 02-16-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Jim, what backspacing did you go with on the Rock Crawlers?

Quick Reply: Nitto Terra Grapplers ???