Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

General AT2 Grabbers (Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General AT2 Grabbers (Advice)

Hello everyone! I am not deciding between tires or anything... so I am not looking for the "best tire". I just want to get some honest feedback, advice, reviews of the GENERAL AT2 GRABBER tires!???
I currently use the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor on my 1999 4Runner. On dry, they are super quiet and seem to work decent. I am having mixed thought about the snow and ice for these. They are doing okay, but not making me feel safe (I know winter tires will do better than any AT tire).

Please give me all the reviews on the General AT2 Grabbers in all conditions! Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SEARCH! Go to tirerack.com or any site that sells off-road tires and read reviews.

The Grabbers are a good tire, but for snow and ice, I heard you can not beat the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The grabbers wear too fast and are not a good snow tire. There made for the desert...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Had some grabbers on an old Ford I had for a while. Got stuck too often and traded them out for some good 'ol BFG AT's and never looked back. Kicked myself for "should have known better than to stray away from what I know works".

My .02.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone... and yes, I do understand searching. However, sometimes something is rated really good on a website and this forum will let me know "good product, but seems to not work well on 4Runners at all"... So, with the 4Runner being kind of lightweight, I wanted to get your feedback on these and experiences.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 AM

I had a set of these on an 05 Tacoma in 265/70/16. I put them on the truck when it had 74k on it and sold the truck with 104k on it. They still looked brand new! So I don't see how anyone could say they don't last on a Toyota. They wore evenly, and were pretty darn good in the snow. In fact they are extreme rated for snow. If you live in an area that requires chains you don't need to use chains on these. I've had several sets of BFG all terrains and I think these Generals wear just as well and actually work a bit better in the snow than the BFG's. I haven't had duratracs so I can't speak for their snow ability. But they sure don't look like they would be as good honestly. The voids between the tread blocks look pretty big and they don't have anywhere near as much siping. Don't get me wrong I think they look like a good all around tire and I know many swear by them but for snow generally the mud/borderline mud tires kinda suck unless it's really deep snow.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM

General AT2 Grabbers are, in a way, a copy of BFG ATs. some say they are just as good but i have found that they dry out and crack much faster and all around not as durable. Dura Tracs are a very good all around and very good on ice. Bridgestone revo 2s have a very comfortable ride and good with snow and ice as well as good off road. falken wildpeak are good all the way around from what i hear but don't have much experience with them. BFG MTs are good but not very good on ice. kelly TSRs are great for the price and are good on ice. i am a tire changer and have a lot of experience with a lot of tires.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM

The old Duratracs were good. Had some on a Jeep pickup.

I have never had a good tire on ice. Lol. If everything is covered in snow, my KM2's are good. If I get into ice, I go off road. I get better, safer grip on snow covered grass.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM

My BFG A/T's on my Jeep are not good in the snow. Found that out last year. It's just a street Jeep though. No lockers. Woman driven.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually replacing my set of General Grabbers. I LOVED how they handled in the snow we had 2 years ago. In 8" they stayed on the road nicely. I like how they have many times better wet traction than the BFG all terrains I had before these. My biggest complaint with mine is how quickly they've worn out. I'm at 22k on them now and now looking at replacing them. I work in a shop and rotate them every 6k with the rears forward and the front crossing to the back every time. I've also had 2 alignment inspections done with the second being the only correction for toe adjustments.

Overall I was pleased at how cheap they were for the performance in 4" of sloppy mud, 8" of wet snow and 2 weeks of ice on the roads, wet traction was much better than the Winson ATs and BFG ATs I used to have. My next set I'm looking at is the Firestone Destination ATs as I've seen and talked to many customers that are pleased with wet traction and longevity. Some of them say it's pretty good on the snow but we don't get much in my area to talk about and very few of them 'wheel with them.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM

My dad has a set on his Colorado. He's only had them for about 3 months so far. When i drove the truck in the snow, it seemed i could go almost anywhere in 2wd. They replaced BFG At's, and i find them better overall, as they seem slightly more aggressive, great in snow, and cheaper.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM

i have some on my horunner, and tried them in the snow the other night when it dumped a little in my town. not too great to be honest. was only a few inches on the ground and they didnt grab very well while taking off.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM

A little late to the party BUT my AT2's have 25000 plus and have made this NH winter easy with the Tacoma...pulled through all of the storms and bite much quicker than my Geos....no weight in the bed so far this winter...that itself speaks volumes....

Only downfall I have is these came as a package with wheels and are LT's ( heavier than my P-series ) and hit my MPG's a little....

BUT they are great off-road also when aired down ..

my 2 cents...