Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Cooper tire Discoverer STT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I thought Poop-Comp was made by Kelly??
last i heard/read they were made by cooper. there was an article in some magazine awhile back about pro-comp tires (it was probably the 4wpw's catalog they call a magazine) stating they were made by cooper.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of 285 SSTs on there way. Getting mounted tomorrow.
However, I will end up driving to Charlotesville--about 50 miles away. But they are much cheaper than buying locally
Old 01-30-2006, 04:56 PM

don't worry eric....i tried finding the trxus up her near boston....and i got in touch with distribution. they told me good luck because NO ONE wants to deal with them due to the hassle of finding them. i asked about the one place locally i heard carried them. the distributor has no idea who they are. i called anyways, and they have them in stock. if they don't when i am ready to buy (2 or 3 weeks out), then it will only take about 2 weeks to get them in.

sullivan tire and all the other chains have never heard of interco, let alone the trxus. LOL! not sure what the sst's are going for, but the trxus in a 285/75/16 is going to run me $150/ea.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I have a set of 285 SSTs on there way. Getting mounted tomorrow.
However, I will end up driving to Charlotesville--about 50 miles away. But they are much cheaper than buying locally
I can't believe what a fickle, indecisive PITA I am.
I found the STTs outside of Richmond for $170. I called this am and they did not have them yet.

My son was up all night due to a BAD t-storm and stomach issues, so leaving later than expected was not possible.

i am truly over MTs style tires that I wear down or get upset that I am not wheeling as much with them.

I am cancelling my STT order and getting 295 NTGs mounted in the am.

Knowing me, I will sell the NTGs later in the year, but that is besides the point.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Eh, happens. Besides, now I will be able to provide a durability report if you want some in the future.

Lamm
Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 AM

WOW! lol! you are ALL OVER THE PLACE on these tires! lol!
you would think that a company like cooper would have a more readily available product line. no?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Eh, happens. Besides, now I will be able to provide a durability report if you want some in the future.

Lamm
yeah. I think a lot of people are interested.

I will try the Nitto for myself and will most likely get rid of them with 10k-15k miles on them. That is just how I am.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Contributing Member

I personally think there one of the most underated tires out there but also one of the best. I'd take them over a BFG MT anyday.

Anyone else have them?

Old 08-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Holy old thread batman.
I talk a bit about these in the Demello FJ thread in the FJC section.

These are the tires I plan on getting before to long.
They look great, and I hear they are very good in the muck.

Gadget runs/or has driven a rig with them on it, hit him up for some more info.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:48 AM

It's been a long long time, but when I worked in the tire industry, Kelly was made by Goodyear. One week, they'd been pumping out GY tires and then they'd change the mold that put the letters on the sidewall, and then that week the same tire would come out with Standard Oil, or Discount Brand, or some had no brand stamped on them.

Originally Posted by justinh
last i heard/read they were made by cooper. there was an article in some magazine awhile back about pro-comp tires (it was probably the 4wpw's catalog they call a magazine) stating they were made by cooper.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone with info/comments/feedback on the Discoverer STT PLEASE post up! I've got about a month before I need to pull the trigger on 4 tires (actually 5 since I'm moving up a size). I've been looking at the Discoverer STT's for many months but haven't found much feedback on how they handle the daily grind (on-road) and absolutely nothing on snow performance (which is pretty important for me).

Old 08-13-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
I personally think there one of the most underated tires out there but also one of the best. I'd take them over a BFG MT anyday.

Anyone else have them?

Over here, for 8 months or so now.

Lamm
Old 08-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hows the tread wear been thus far? Would you buy them again? congrats on your two thousandth post!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Those do look like they can sling the slop right out of them.
They updated their Flash site recently too.
www.coopertires.com

Click on music in the bottom menu and you have 4 songs to cycle through, or if you browse the sight long enough, it will play all 4.

I see they also have a distribution center in Sumner, WA., about 5 miles from me.
I should drop down and take a look at them.

I am pretty sure I am going to get these, but I would like some feedback for onroad handling too since most of us drive our rigs as daily drivers first, weekend warriors second.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:28 PM

I put them on at around 122,500 miles, I'm now at 134,316 miles with a tread depth of 11/32s of an inch or 11mm.

I cross rotate and balance every 3000 miles.

They perform awsome offroad, very good in mud.

After a few thousand miles they definetly got louder, but it is a mud tire, big deal.

Durability is AMAZING, they hardly look used.

Would I buy them again, yes. WIll I, probably not. I am wanting to go to 33"s when they wear out and I will most likely want a 33x10.50, so that means BFG MT. I already had ATs of that size so I would want to try the MTs to compare.

If Cooper made the STT in a 33x10.50 I would be all over it like stink on poop.

BTW- Thanks for the congrats, I did not even notice LOL.

Lamm
Old 08-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Beefy boys
I can picture them on my FJ, but with the letters in.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:35 PM

Corey emailed me and asked me to give my impression of my Cooper tires.

I have about 3000 road miles on mine. Absolutely the smoothest riding tire I have ever had on 96 4Runner!!! There is more road noise then I had with the Toyo AT tires and way less then the egg shaped Goodyear MT/R tires.

Off road?? Well, kind of hard to tell. They seemed to be working great off road for half a day at the TTORA Take Over Event in Hot Springs AR. I blew up my front diff on a 4 diamond trail trying to get over a big rock on a hill climb so I was done using 4x4 for the rest of the day.

I think this trail was the longest one in the whole damn park and I had to use 2 high with my rear locker and power through the rest of the trail. Only had to winch about 3 times, but did really work that supercharger very hard using full boost and rooster tailing crap everywhere getting up the rest of the hills on the trail. It was 105*+ that day and got that engine temp higher then I have ever seen it before.

Anyway, I really spun the hell out of those tires completing the trail and they are a little chewed up now, but had one hell of a time!! I might trash the worst one and use the other as a spare and get a new one.

I would buy these tires again with no question. Overall the best off road tire I have used on my truck yet.

Gadget
Old 08-13-2006, 06:06 PM

From my build-up thread:

Nothing wrong with Coopr tires, just hard to find (at least near Akron).

I can only comletely compare them to BFG ATs.

On the street they are louder, but thats about it. Handling, ride, etc. same and very tolerable for anyone who has run an MT tire. They are not as good as ATs in snow, but better than most MTs. I have had no unreasonably bad experiances with hydroplaning. If you have an off road tire, you just can't expect to blast through water OK. Overall, 3 stars for on road driving.

Off the road they are very good. They gripmud and ledges, even wet grass very well. The lugs clean themselves easily and the sidewalls provide plenty of extra traction. I have not been in "rocks". They do pick up a lot of junk (gravel) and fling it out but that is to be expected. I am going wheeling in Wellsville Sat. so I will be able to form a more complete opinion then.

In the winter weather they are good as well. Not as good as BFG ATs on snow covered roads, but they grip well on snow and ice and stop well too. The siping (not found on most MTs) helps out with this a lot. In deep snow they work great.

The overall quality and construction is as good or better than BFGs. It has a 3 ply sidewall, and a tough yet flexable compound. The molding is excellent with no flash and good form, etc. I have had no problems with tire balancing or mounting.

I would buy them again as of now. #1 downside is lack of avalibility and dealers.

Lamm
Old 08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

FYI: The seller, 'eastcoasttires' on eBay has a few different sizes available with FREE shipping.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they look similar to the toyo open country MTs

Quick Reply: Cooper tire Discoverer STT?