Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

15" Eight Spoke Alloy Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15" Eight Spoke Alloy Wheel Question

I picked up a 1990 Xtra cab 4X4 to use as my daily driver. One of the cosmetic issues I wanted to tackle was rusted/pitted rims. I came across a set of factory eight spokes in great shape, so I thought it would be an easy swap (I know this center cap isn't correct...found that out in an earlier post LOL):

Went over to a tire place to swap them out today, but these alloys are too tight over the wheel hubs. After you tighten the lugs down the wheels won't come off (without a lot of force). I can't figure out why this would be. Here is what I have currently (I removed the push through caps on the rears):

I tried doing a search on the topic but didn't really find anything...any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I can think to do now is to take them to a rim place and have the center hole machined out a little. Although maybe then I could use these steel center caps that I wasted $ on?

Thanks for any info!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM

They should fit without a problem. Could just be some rust around the hub making them seize up.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rerunn
They should fit without a problem. Could just be some rust around the hub making them seize up.
Thanks for the reply...I should have updated this thread after I figured it out. What I think happened is I had these wheels refinished and I think they applied a clear coat to them and didn't tape off the hub area. I had a machine shop just take off about 1mm and they fit great. Doubt anyone else will ever have that problem, but you never know!