Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

caterpillar swap in a 92 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caterpillar swap in a 92 4runner

I grew up with diesels and have always loved em and want something that'll last forever. I know there's the 2.8 Cummins and its made to fit but the 2.8s have a lot of problems supposedly I'm not sure if they've fixed them in the crate engine, but then I was looking at diesel swaps and saw someone put a v8 cat in a silverado and a landcruiser! I know there's no way I could possibly fit a 2000lb 10.4l beast of a diesel in a 4runner, but what about a smaller engine like the c4.4? its got about the same length and height of a 4bt but not as wide, puts out 140hp 400lb ft and they come from the factory up to 200hp. Anyway this is just a really long winded way of asking would this swap be possible and what supporting mods would be needed also sorry if this should be in a different section this is my first post.
c4.4 dimensions Length 24.8 in Width 24.6 in Height 37.7 in
Old 05-04-2020, 09:02 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
So you want to double your horsepower and quadruple the torque output, and expect it to maintain the designed Toyota reliability?

Chassis swap a 4runner body on to your RAM frame?!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
So you want to double your horsepower and quadruple the torque output, and expect it to maintain the designed Toyota reliability?

Chassis swap a 4runner body on to your RAM frame?!
I’m Just asking would it fit and what mods would need to be made obviously a different transmission, also caterpillar makes some of the most reliable diesels in the world routinely going well past a million miles
Old 05-05-2020, 04:34 AM

The answer to all swap "will it fit, what do I need to change" is always how much work are you willing to do and what are your intentions. You can already bend frames snap axels, twist drive shafts and destroy gear boxes with the factory parts depending on what you're trying to do.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:35 AM

The answer to all swap "will it fit, what do I need to change" is always how much work are you willing to do and what are your intentions. You can already bend frames snap axels, twist drive shafts and destroy gear boxes with the factory parts depending on what you're trying to do.
ok thanks for the response I’ve read multiple swaps but never heard of any of those things happening at most I was thing a body lift sas transmission and driveshaft if it’s possibly bend the frame then it’s not an option
Old 05-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jim McFarland
ok thanks for the response I’ve read multiple swaps but never heard of any of those things happening at most I was thing a body lift sas transmission and driveshaft if it’s possibly bend the frame then it’s not an option
You can have all that happen with the little 22re. Again what are your intentions.

PS sorry that's a 1stgen frame the later models have slightly different geometry.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:00 PM

You can have all that happen with the little 22re. Again what are your intentions.

PS sorry that's a 1stgen frame the later models have slightly different geometry.
I’m looking for more efficiency a boatload of torque and reliability the cat also has as much horsepower as the 3vze and could be made to ~300 without much reliability change
Old 05-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You could look for a diesel powered 'runner from overseas and bring in just the front half to do the swap, I was considering doing that when I had my 98. There are also plenty that have swapped in a 1.9 VW TDI diesel and with tuning you can get 200hp and plenty of torque, it won't be a cat engine, but at least you are not re-inventing the wheel !.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:20 PM

I’m looking for more efficiency a boatload of torque and reliability the cat also has as much horsepower as the 3vze and could be made to ~300 without much reliability change
"More efficiency", so you want better fuel economy?

"boat load of torque".. faster acceleration, or more hill climbing. The first defeats the efficiency, the second means your going to be beefing up the whole drive train sooner or later it's engineered for a specific load (torque, weight, performance, etc..)

I think you need to elaborate on your vision, wether this is internal reflection or with feedback. Without this clear goal/expectation it (what to alter) is a impossible question.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by tng2000
You could look for a diesel powered 'runner from overseas and bring in just the front half to do the swap, I was considering doing that when I had my 98. There are also plenty that have swapped in a 1.9 VW TDI diesel and with tuning you can get 200hp and plenty of torque, it won't be a cat engine, but at least you are not re-inventing the wheel !.
well it’ll be the same as far as making it fit as the 4bt which I know has been done in the 1st gens but mating it to the transmission is definitely gonna be harder if the transmission could even handle that much power
Old 06-30-2020, 09:25 PM

well it’ll be the same as far as making it fit as the 4bt which I know has been done in the 1st gens but mating it to the transmission is definitely gonna be harder if the transmission could even handle that much power
You’re missing the point, what are your intentions with the engine? It could involve bigger axles, frame reinforcement, stronger transmission components, all depends on what you are wanting to do with it. You need to figure that out first.