3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

something happened...misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something happened...misfire

I have had my 4runner on the road for 2 weeks now, she was running amazing. i put almost 200 miles on it with no problems. today, i took it for a short drive and it started missing. It only misses under load though, with a decent amount of pedal. Pulled all the plugs and the one closest to the firewall on the left side seems like it isnt getting fuel. Dont know why it ran great for that long and now i have a problem. Btw, sorry about the grammar, i am writing this from a stupid touch screen phone because my internet is also not working at home!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Ok, I have some questions about getting the OBD2 wired in so I can diagnose this...

1. -the white signal wire, I have it coming from pin 19 on the D connector (the one you have to add to the ECM), is this correct?

2. The 7.5a fused power wire, does this have to come from anywhere specific or just a 12v with a 7.5a fuse?

3. The two ground wires, same as above, can I just run them to a ground?

I cant get my OBD to connect, anyone know so I can figure this out? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Replicant
Ok, I have some questions about getting the OBD2 wired in so I can diagnose this...

1. -the white signal wire, I have it coming from pin 19 on the D connector (the one you have to add to the ECM), is this correct? plug "d" (e12) position 8 for me

2. The 7.5a fused power wire, does this have to come from anywhere specific or just a 12v with a 7.5a fuse? any constant hot will do

3. The two ground wires, same as above, can I just run them to a ground? bingo

I cant get my OBD to connect, anyone know so I can figure this out? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 03-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RED wire is SIL to ECU position e12 8

Here's my question. SEE THE BLUE WIRE It also looks like II3 24 ties into the signal wire and goes to oxygen sensor, crankshaft position sensor, etc. But then it appears that it just grounds out afterall. So does the SIL wire also need to tie into II3 24?

Last edited by vasinvictor; 03-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 AM

@ vasinvictor: I got it wired up, I see what you are referring to but I dont think it needs to be tied in. I didnt tie it in and it still gave me a code for my #2 o2 sensor (I dont have one)..

After wiring it in.....I have worked on cars for a while and did this swap (many thanks to the yotatech gurus), now I have the strangest problem I have ever seen. The truck is still misfiring. The obd sensor pulled some codes, but NOTHING about a misfire. Its not showing anything at all on the scanner to help me. It only misfires under good acceleration, and only sometimes. Sometimes it can pull hard through all the gears. I dont know what it is and the scanner isnt helping me. Any ideas?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Is it an auto trans? If so it could be a bad torque converter....
If it's manual...double check your coil packs, wires and plugs. Just a thought
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM

Check your injector connectors and clean your MAF

What codes did you get?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM

The only codes I got were for:

Bank 2 oxygen sensor (I dont have one installed)
Speed sensor system malfunction (have to get a new cluster for the electronic VSS)

I have cleaned the MAF already as that was my first guess as well. A misfire should be the first code to come up, I dont know whats going on. I replaced all the plugs with factory toyota ones, wires and coils are all good.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 AM

A little update, I am STILL trying to chase this down.... here is what I have done..
Replaced all plugs and wires with factory Toyota
Checked all coils- good
checked MAF sensor and TPS- both checked good, and I even swapped with a known good MAF and it still missed
Fuel filter
Cleaned throttle body

I have had two toyota techs drive the vehicle and they both look at me the same, that kind of "thats weird" look, and they said they didnt know what it could be. Any ideas or something I am overlooking?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
I ran into this on a 22re ... replaced EVERYTHING , and still nothing helped .

turned out to be the filter screen on the pick up tube in the fuel tank , just an Idea

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by slacker
I ran into this on a 22re ... replaced EVERYTHING , and still nothing helped .

turned out to be the filter screen on the pick up tube in the fuel tank , just an Idea

Would be a good thing to check. Sucks I have to drop the tank just to check it, but I dont have any other ideas so Ill check it out.