3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Which motor and tranny do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOST IMPORTANT about the 3.4 swap is ECU and HARNESS!!!! Needs to be from the SAME PRODUCTION DATES. NOT YEARS but dates. obviously manual harness to manual ecu and auto to auto. the year of engine really doesnt matter. there is a rumor that an 02 had a drive by wire but you would have to look into that further is you engine is coming out of and 01. The MAF did change for the 3.4 at one point too.

Last edited by Dan.3; 04-28-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
MOST IMPORTANT about the 3.4 swap is ECU and HARNESS!!!! Needs to be from the SAME PRODUCTION DATES. NOT YEARS but dates. obviously manual harness to manual ecu and auto to auto. the year of engine really doesnt matter. The MAF did change for the 3.4 at one point though.
ok... good info!! I was planning on getting it all from one truck, but had read how a member(Fallen..somthing) who did the same coversion as me said the ECU out of the T-100 would make it so there is no codes because of the sensor issue with using the Tacoma ECU.
I pmed him on it since his initial setup is what i'm trying to do.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by TMZ
The R150 is a manual trans. Yes the 3.4 will bolt to the existing trans in the truck. Yes it will drive down the road. Yes you may see DTC's and imcorrect shift patterns. The correct way to do this is use the auto trans from a 3.4 and get the adapter for the older style t-case.
Are you meaning get a 4cyl t-case?
My tranny in the truck is old with unknown miles(unless its the same as the truck 193,XXX) so if i can get a newer tranny then this might be the way to go!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 AM
TMZ

Yes the 4cyl t-case. There is not that much work in making it a manual. My 4runner was a auto, 3.0. Now a 3.4 with 3.0 5spd and t-case.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by TMZ
Yes the 4cyl t-case. There is not that much work in making it a manual. My 4runner was a auto, 3.0. Now a 3.4 with 3.0 5spd and t-case.

mmm.. well i'd rather it be an manual anyway so if its not that big of deal i may do that.
Probably will just depend on what salvage one i find around my area i guess. so far nothing.

Last edited by Gravehunter; 04-29-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TMZ
imcorrect shift patterns. The correct way to do this is use the auto trans from a 3.4 and get the adapter for the older style t-case.
You know this how????? newbies
Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
TMZ

Newbie..... You figure it out.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 AM

I have found another member that has done the same swap i'm looking at doing and he has given me his phone # to help me out!! So i should be good to go once i find a donor truck.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMZ
The R150 is a manual trans. Yes the 3.4 will bolt to the existing trans in the truck. Yes it will drive down the road. Yes you may see DTC's and imcorrect shift patterns. The correct way to do this is use the auto trans from a 3.4 and get the adapter for the older style t-case.
Gravehunter finally contacted me and asked me what the facts are behind the 3.4 A340H swap. He told me that there was some conflicting info in his thread. As the 3rd person to complete an A340H 3.4 swap and first person to publish the how to and why. I had to come check it out. People If u have never done an A340H, 3.4 swap DONT ANSWER QUESTIONS about them. You dont know what your talking about.

This quote above is a perfect example. IF WIRED CORRECTLY. (that applies to all swaps) the only error code you will see with a A340H 3.4 Swap is an incorrect speed sensor reading error. and this applies to all 3.4s EXCEPT auto 3.4s from T100's. The T100 3.4s used the same speed sensor that the 3.0 did. People i do not mind answer questions i'd rather people msg me or call me then get all of this incorrect information in their head.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by thefallman
Gravehunter finally contacted me and asked me what the facts are behind the 3.4 A340H swap. He told me that there was some conflicting info in his thread. As the 3rd person to complete an A340H 3.4 swap and first person to publish the how to and why. I had to come check it out. People If u have never done an A340H, 3.4 swap DONT ANSWER QUESTIONS about them. You dont know what your talking about.

This quote above is a perfect example. IF WIRED CORRECTLY. (that applies to all swaps) the only error code you will see with a A340H 3.4 Swap is an incorrect speed sensor reading error. and this applies to all 3.4s EXCEPT auto 3.4s from T100's. The T100 3.4s used the same speed sensor that the 3.0 did. People i do not mind answer questions i'd rather people msg me or call me then get all of this incorrect information in their head.
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to drop your handle name without you knowing it. It was alot of threads actually that had different info, but many were years old so i think the info just evolved over time as people figured out what needed to be done. That why i figured if yours was running you definetly knew what it took to get it going. Most threads involved other setups though(manual trans etc..) so they didn't tell me what i needed.
What i end up doing will probably just depend on what donor truck i find.

I'll be giving you a call here this week. THANKS!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by TMZ
Newbie..... You figure it out.
TMZ if you had done even a cursory search of this forum u would have found loads of information on using the 3.4 and the A340H. As i mentioned earlier your posts are flat wrong. the only reason to go the route u mention is to for multiple T-Cases. there are other reasons but none cannot be covered by useing the A340F T100 Trans that already has a right hand drop and no adapter needed.

Now as far as ease of install and CORRECT install (NO errors). Use a A340H its cheap and u probably have one from behind the blown 3.0. It wasn't made for the 3.4 but it will work (i used my 300k+ mile trans on my swap worked fine) (btw that trans in now in my 4runner back behind a 3.0) trans now has over 400k on it. (Figure thats pretty good for a trans that was supposedly bad when i bought the truck.) Anyway Use A T100 3.4 ECM and harness this will allow u too hook up the speed sensor on your A340H and avoid Speed sensor #2 errors.

So for simple swaps this is whats needed

3.4 any year (prior to throttle by wire. unless u want to swap throttle bodies too)
T100 3.4 Engine Wiring harness. (As far as i have found any year will work)
T100 3.4 ECM (Again Any year as long as the Mfg dates are matched to harness.
T100 Torque Converter (i would recommend this because it will be tuned to the 3.4
These are the major parts needed you will have to get all the other parts that are needed for ANY 3.4 swap as well

the differences between the A340H and the A340F are as follows.

A340H has intergrated transfer case that is impossible to swap without completely tearing down the trans. Different Torque Converter. Valve Body differences. ( I have no first hand knowledge of these i have just heard from rebuilders and such)
A340F has a completely seperate transfer case. And different torque converter.

Electronically these TRANSMISSIONS are identical. you have to change the shift selector electronics on the side but internally they are identical. mechanically they are identical. they use the same parts and have the same layout the only possible differences being valve body and clutch material.

Anyway People PLEASE PLEASE send me a pm if u have questions. this getting information from people that have only done it the old way is non-sense Hell even ORS started doing auto swaps my way after i showed up at their shop and showed them that it was possible.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gravehunter
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to drop your handle name without you knowing it. It was alot of threads actually that had different info, but many were years old so i think the info just evolved over time as people figured out what needed to be done. That why i figured if yours was running you definetly knew what it took to get it going. Most threads involved other setups though(manual trans etc..) so they didn't tell me what i needed.
What i end up doing will probably just depend on what donor truck i find.

I'll be giving you a call here this week. THANKS!
Sounds good, and if for some reason i dont answer just leave me a msg and ill call back im busy running a chainsaw alot so may not hear the phone.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
TMZ

The speed sensor erroe code is what I was talking about. Before you start slinging mud maybe YOU should read closer. I did not say it could not be done. 9.9 times out of 10 someone will find a donor being a Tacoma or a 4Runner. T100 donors can be hard to find. That is why I offered the info I did. I figured out the T100 trans was the way to go 4 years ago when I did my 4runner. Due to the frustration of trying to find the parts is why I went Manual.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM

TMZ buddy I see your first post was in Dec of 08 so your a bit new around here. But buddy your the one that provided the useless information that wasn't even accurate. You didn't even bother to provide information that u supposedly knew 4 years ago. Somehow you knew this information prior to anyone else. Would have been nice if you would have provided the rest of us this info 4 years ago. Oh wait seems that it took 2 guys in colorado to put there heads together in order to figure out the exact requirements, one of those guys being me and a cr@p load of visits to the junk yards and an install of a T100 A340F in my 89 X-cab. there is exactly 0 (ZERO) information out there about the T100 Swap prior to my posts about it.

SO im sorry if im a little bit ticked at people that come into an area i spent ALOT of time researching and claim they know more and totally discard proven experience, and proceed to claim they have prior or more extensive knowledge while saying things that are completely inaccurate and misleading.

Im not flaming you i pointed out where you where completely inaccurate and misleading. This forum has people like u that show up from time to time and claim to know so much and eventually the disappear or are banned. Just because i an absent member and dont show my face doesnt mean i cant be reached and wont answer questions if asked.

btw please dont tell me u were on the ttora, pirate or any other forums and posted your info because i searched all forums for information on ways to do the swap while maintaining the 3.0s A340H 4 years ago according all but 2 people it was impossible. and the 2 people that had done it (teamshiftpoint) wouldnt and still wont talk about what they did and how they did it. (since then i have looked thru the pictures and build and figured out how they did it.)

Anyway Yeah i pretty much jumped u this time around. just so you know its nothing PERSONAL. Im just a bit frustrated with all the false misleading information thats been being dished out on here.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
TMZ

I remember reading all your post years ago when you were doing your swap. You are not the only one who has spent maybe more time then needed in this area. Your post are what made me sit down at work (Toyota) with the FSM for auto trans and figure out that the trans needed was the T100 trans. The first thing that tipped me off to the T100 trans was the t-case. I did not come forward with the info then as I had not joined the forum. I am sorry you had to go threw so much to find this info out, but I am sure you are not sorry as you learned so much more beyond this. I am fortunate to be a toyota master tech and have the info available to me. Again I did not give mislead info. Read my first post again and MAYbe you will see the one word that supports this. As for personal its people like me who can provide alot of help, but don't stick around due to crap like this. Yet nothing personal. Now I'm ticked because not only you, but have I spent ALOT of time doing not reading this swap. I have alot of time and money in my education with Toyota to be blown off because I just joined a forum in Dec. Sorry I was busy working not talking about it. Thefallman I commend you for all you have done and have alot of faith in your knowledge, but don't judge me by my join date.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Okay im calmed, and ill give u the benefit of the doubt thank you for not jumping back at me. and seriously it isnt and wasnt personal it was purely a matter of that u happend to be the one that got in the way of a frustration that has been on going and has happend several time in the last year. I asked the staff here to set up the swap section so as to make it easier for people that were looking for correct info to find it and for people that knew that info to beable to help easier. I respect your education as a Master Toyota service tech. I believe u have alot of valuable information. What i will add to that is that i sat down with several Toyota techs and Master ASE Techs prior to finding my own answers and i will say that by far the people that were most helpful were not the techs but other people like me that had done swaps or had pulled transmissions or engines down. For some reason the techs seemed to feel that if they werent getting paid there wasnt any reason to help/volunteer information. Once again sorry for taking all my frustration out on you.

Hope i get good info about my truck this weekend. (Possible New Build Coming)
ill throw out a teaser Extra Cab on Reg Cab Frame with Chopped Box and Straight Axle. and 3.4
Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 AM
TMZ

I feel your pain about the techs, I work with them everyday. These are the techs that give those of use who want to help others a bad name. Here is the thought behind the first post. The reason for recomending the 3.4 auto trans and adapter is unlike us who know the value of the T100, the junk yards don't. Junk yards tend to cut harnesses and crush the vehicle with the important end of the harness still in the truck. T100's are not easy to find and to send someone who is new to this on a wild goose chase to peice a swap together just wasn't high on my list of things to do. This is why I said he MAY see the DTC and impropper shifting under heavy exceleration, with the thought of using the more popular tacoma or 4runner ecu. I think it would be easier to find a match engine, trans, ecu, & harness. Then get the adapter (inchworm, marlin) and a gear drive t-case ( yotatech, 7-11, any street corner). This narrows down the search and shortens the time spent on the swap. I am working on tracking down NEW T100 harnesses and a source for ecu's that are not $1000. I can get new 3.4 m/t harness now for $300 and hope to be able to do this with the T100 harness to make the auto swap easier for those who dont have the knowledge or resources. I would like to get together with a few members here ( Andy, thefallman, ect) who would offer detailed write ups for my web site www.three4store.com when it is up. All in all I was not trying to missinform anyone, but to just to keep from confusing and causing frustration when trying to peice a swap together.

Last edited by TMZ; 04-30-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Thank You and Good luck with the harnesses. I have found www.car-part.com invaluable im my search for parts especially when it comes to T100 engine harnesses. It shortens the search considerably. I built a conversion harness for BAMF_CT2004, and i will not build another. Dont get me wrong BAMF_CT2004 was a great guy, i was the stinker. I have way to many things on my plate to build harnesses for people. So it took me WAY WAY to long to complete. BAMF_CT2004 was a great and patient guy more then i can say i probably would have been. But my point is im more then willing to help people with what i know but i dont want to get into doing anything for money currently. Maybe if i lay myself off like a bunch of other people have been then i would have time.

Anyway TMZ im sorry for not giving you more of a chance to explain and jumping you so soon. I hope that we can work together. In most cases you are correct the junk yards dont pull harness's especially on T100's. The only reason i havent switched to a T100 Harnesss is im not liking the idea of rebuilding my conversion harness. I had the most luck finding T100 Stuff from the Colorado Junk yards but like i said use www.car-part.com it is invaluable. in all likely hood i may switch to a Tacoma trans if i switch to a solid axle. only because it will allow me to get rid of the codes and not have to rebuild the conversion harness again. I do like my T100 Trans since i noticed a slight improvement in fuel mileage with the manual Transfer case.

Anyway anyone in NE Oregon SE Washington that wants to do a swap let me know im more then willing to help out.

I have to many Car projects but i always love a new one. lol
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by thefallman
considerably. I built a conversion harness for BAMF_CT2004, and i will not build another. Dont get me wrong BAMF_CT2004 was a great guy, i was the stinker. So it took me WAY WAY to long to complete. BAMF_CT2004 was a great and patient guy more then i can say i probably would have been.
What was it.... about 6 months?? thefallman offered. I accepted. I didnt realize it would take as long as it did but thefallman had some personal things come up which I understood. I think orginally he told me a month or two and I wasnt in to much of a hurry for it. I was busy with work and he quoted me a good price. thefallman did a good job but if I would have know it would have taken as long as did I would have done it myself(no offense ). After realizing we cant use a 99 limited ecu without a key, the conversion harness is pretty easy to make after going through the wiring diagrams. It just requires a little time if you have it.

I will be swaping to the f trans to run either a 4.7 tcase or a dual case. If someone is on a budget and want to swap in a 3.4 and a cel isnt a big deal, run the h.

Didnt mean to give you a hassle TMZ but you can just appear on a forum and start posting about 3.4 swaps without giving your background and have a small number of posts. thefallman is right when he says people appear on a forum start making bogus claims and then dissappear. It was not a personal attack against you, just try to protect what integrity this forum has left. This forum is really good for newbs to learn and research. Obviously there is more than one way to swap in a 3.4 and all the stickies in the 3.4 swap section prove that. Some people are very maticulous and want a 3.4 swap to look very pretty and follow everything by the book and use everything that 3.4 (starters, flywheel, etc) Other are they just want it in and use the bare min. just so they can drive it.

From what I have researched thefallman is the first one to run the 3.4 with the h with just a very slight modification of the selenoid harness for the trans.

Last edited by Dan.3; 04-30-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Once again sorry about that BAMF Didnt help that i moved 1200 miles and lived with my parents for 6 months in there. lol yeah but we got it done and straightened up.

Quick Reply: Which motor and tranny do I need?