3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

It's Dead :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IGF wire has continuity to the ECU. Still no further progress.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you ever figure out which way the MAF was supposed to go?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 AM

I think it's in the right way. There is an arrow on the outside which I think is the supposed air flow direction. I have it pointing towards the engine. Also, from pics the connector on mine is in the same orientation as others, and finally, there is a rubber gasket type ring around one end which I think should go into the airbox (which I dont have.)

I need to get a short air intake as I didnt relocate the battery. It's supposed to thunderstorm here until Sunday so I wont get much if any time on it for a few days.

My next plan is to remove the upper plenum and take a good look and probably replace all the vacuum hoses at the back of the engine.

EDIT: I also ran some Sea Foam through it and that made a big difference. It will sit and sputter for much longer now. I still think there is another problem here, but everything you would do to an engine to get it running properly has been done, so when it does get cured, it should run like new.

Last edited by UKrunner; 07-22-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of sounds like you tried to get it running a bit too early. Instead of fixing one little thing and keep trying I'd finish everything.. intake, exhaust, sensors, vacuum hoses, ect then try it. After reading this thread you have so many variables still open troubleshooting is like stabbing in the dark. Good luck hope you get it running soon.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 AM

Hey mate, I got mine sorted. Loose pins in ecu plugs, more info in my thread
Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Kind of sounds like you tried to get it running a bit too early. Instead of fixing one little thing and keep trying I'd finish everything.. intake, exhaust, sensors, vacuum hoses, ect then try it. After reading this thread you have so many variables still open troubleshooting is like stabbing in the dark. Good luck hope you get it running soon.
The only things not on the vehicle, or not finished are an air filter, exhaust and O2 sensors. The engine should run fine in this condition.

I did the ether check and there are no vacuum leaks. A buddy came over and we also did the cigar test - it didnt suck in any smoke anywhere.

Checked all the pins on the ecu plugs and the body harness, they are all snug.

I have noticed some oil in the intake and am wondering where it came from. It wasnt there before I ran Sea Foam through it.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Talk to me about the vacuum lines that go to the power steering pump switch. I have no switch and I have no vac lines, and I dont see anywhere for them to connect, but I do have an electrial connetor. Looking at the schematic, it is just a simple switch, but should it be normally open or normally closed when everything is running correctly?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Put some injector cleaner through it and now it will stay idling but still very low. This allowed me to play more under the hood while it was still running. I can hear a whistling/air rushing sound coming from the the throttle body area. Sounds like a leak in that area. I changed the gasket and it made no difference. I was wondering if anyone could hear a whistling or air noise in that area on your TB?

I did notice that the shaft running through the TB can be wiggled slightly. Could air be getting in through worn bushings? Does your shaft wiggle?! *snicker*
Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by UKrunner
Put some injector cleaner through it and now it will stay idling but still very low. This allowed me to play more under the hood while it was still running. I can hear a whistling/air rushing sound coming from the the throttle body area. Sounds like a leak in that area. I changed the gasket and it made no difference. I was wondering if anyone could hear a whistling or air noise in that area on your TB?

I did notice that the shaft running through the TB can be wiggled slightly. Could air be getting in through worn bushings? Does your shaft wiggle?! *snicker*
Had the 3.4 you got been setting for a while? Injectors can get to a point where they need to be removed to be cleaned.. or replaced. Try putting sea foam or another injector cleaner drectly into the intake(like through the booster hose) instead of just putting it in the tank. Maybe you've already done this.. i've not read all the posts here.

Also.. to find an air leak: get some carb cleaner in a spray can. If you spray carb cleaner where the leak is, is will suck the carb cleaner into the intake and raise the idle significantly for a few seconds. So you can spray carb clean in certain areas at a time to help find the leak. A trick an old mechanic showed me years ago(i've been a bike mechanic for 12 years).
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 AM

oh... and i don't have a whistling sound on my engine.. so i think you are hearing an air leak.

And my throttle body shaft has some play too... so i don't think thats your problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Have you already tested your IAC valve? The RM gives specifics on how to test it.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM

I sprayed some ether at the butterfly shaft and the revs rose up. I also found that if I sprayed it at the intake runners the revs also rose. I think it's time for a new set of plenum gaskets and possibly a new throttle body.

Could someone check to see if the revs rise if you spray ether at the throttle body? If there is some play normally, then there should be some expected leaking in all of them.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 PM

My TB shaft has some movment and i just sprayed around it.. and it did not rise in RPM at all.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Plenum gasket is on its way. Will update late next week after it arrives and I've had time to install.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Just got the gasket this Monday and got to work bout 2 hours ago.
Well, what an evening. The good news is I've found the problem.

The bad news is:

Yup, thats detroyed lower intake runners. The donor vehicle was a roll over. I noticed a small dent in the top of the plenum but thought nothing of it. As I had the engine on the stand I also noticed some loose nuts and bolts on the plenum. Tightened to spec and continued doing other jobs.

Looks like the impact was pretty severe. I cant see any visible damage on the intake manifold except for something that may or may not be a cast line. I'll take pictures in day light and post them. There are no leaks from the injectors or fuel rail. There is no blow by oil escaping from the gaskets, so I'm hoping I don't have to replace the intake manifold also.

So on that point, does anyone have a upper and lower set of intake runners? I'd like to try and get a matching pair because I don't know if the upper runners are slightly bent or not.

Anyway, If you are having running issues and you have an engine from a roll over donor, this is something else to add to the check list.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 PM

ugh.... That sucks!

Well... at least you know what it is now.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You mean that dent by the second intake runner?

All 5VZFE engines have it, so don't worry about that...that wasn't caused by the roll over...the other stuff, yes.

Sorry about your luck, dude.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 AM

Nope, I have a "speed dent" actually in the tube, 2nd or 3rd from bottom in that pic. I'll take pictures later.

Bittersweet victory though. Now I know what the heck the problem is but I was hoping it was just the gaskets leaking. Talking of gaskets, are the ones used on the lower runners to intake manifold the same as the ones used from lower to upper runners?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know where you are located but a 3.4 intake plenum just popped up on craigslist in Colorado Springs.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Michigan, but thanks, I'll take a look. I have a UPS account so shipping can become a company expense!

Quick Reply: It's Dead :(