3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
a 1" BL is not that bad and could help you keep from cutting the hood.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay so this wiring harness has just about made me sick of this truck. i have most of the harness together that i can figure out. but i cant figure the ignition and starting side of the thing figured out. its just not making sense to me. im almost to the point to where i want to give up and let someone else do the harness. problem is i dont know of any companies that do these conversion harnesses. i would pay fair price to get this done and out of my headache. please anyone help me on this.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The feed for the starter wire is in the kick panel. It W/B if I remember correctly. It will be bigger than the other wires and hot only when the key is turned to start. There is no starter wire in the 3.4 harness. You will ned to tap into the stock on in the kick panel and extend it to the actual starter motor. At the same time extend a small wire to the STA terminal on the 3.4 ECM.

What is your issue with the ignition? There should be a W/R wire in the same harness as the starter wire that is the IGN feed to the whole 3.4 setup. Join that to the W/L(blue) wire on the 3.4 harness and that should be it I believe
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM

aight so ive been doin some reading... still not making alot of sense but i think the fog is starting to clear ive been trying to figure out exactly what im supposed to do with the COR and other things. i think im way over thinking this or something. i thought it was gonna be simple but the whole wiring situation has really got me freaked out.

my 3.4 COR diagram

3.0 COR.

from what im startin to understand im supposed to hook the G-Y wire from my 3.0 plug to my 3.4 plug and then run a jumper from it to the 85 pin of my 5pin relay i got. then run a jumper wire from the W-R wire in the 3.0 harness to both the 30 and 86 pins. then hook up the blue wire from the 3.0 plug to the 87 pin. that sounds like it should work to me i guess. please someone correct me if im wrong in this setup.

i still dont have any of the AC stuff connected. ive been trying to figure out the rest of this wiring harness. i think my main problem is i dont have much time to sit down and look at the stuff at a time so i end up panicing.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM

WOOHOOOOOO i wired up the COR like i asked earlier. taped the starter wire to the harness and plugged it all up. i was really hoping that it would fire right up when i turned the key so i closed my eyes pressed the clutch and turned the switch... it spun over for just a second and then fired up... idled for about 20 seconds and shut off... tried that a couple times and then went around to check connections DUHHH i forgot to plug the mass air sensor back up and it ran great... i let it get up to operating temp and checked for leaks and stuff. everything looks good so far. so i took the "conversion harness" i put together out of the truck and started soldering it up. im gonna try to get the harness finished and hopefully stuff the new ECM into the kick panel.

what it looks like right now under the dash of my poor truck

i still dont really know what to do to hook the AC up.. im gonna work on it and hopefully drive this thing this weekend.. i gotta cut a hole in the hood though and get a scoop built for it first...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

LOL I remember when mine looked like that. I know that scares the hell out people thinking about taking on their own wiring for the swap but its not that bad.

Congrats on getting it going. i remember when I turned the key the first time. I was just checking to see if I had the starter and COR wired correctly and it started up instantly. Kinda scared me and kinda excited me all at the same time. Great feeling of satisfaction
Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM

YAY! I am glad you finally got it running buddy. I am also glad we wired everything right and didnt burn the truck up ha ha. Now hurry up with the SAS
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM

thanks DNTSDAD.... man i really didnt expect the truck to crank up... i expected to hear click... or see smoke... so im really pumped. i cant believe i was freakin out so bad about the wiring on it. i hope to get it on the road sometime this week, i just hope i can get the ECM to fit in there with all that extra wiring and not hurt anything
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM

hmm well im gonna try to finish this post without wigging out about my raggedy toyota heh.

okay so i finished soldering up every wire and then taped the harness up and got it ready to go back together.

then i fought for about 40 minutes trying to figure out how to bolt the 3.4 ECM into the truck kick panel. finally got 1 bracket and bolt that would line up about right and point the ECM in the right direction.

at this point i was like HMMM i better make sure i didnt do something wrong before i go any farther with putting it back together. so i sat down pressed the clutch and turned the switch. the truck cranked right up like it has been doing. let it run for a few minutes and then turned the key switch off... and the DANG ENGINE KEPT RUNNING... the dash lights shut off and everything but the engine was still running.. i switched the key back on and back off... nothing.

so now i figure i got something wired up wrong and only found it out after bolting the ECM up and therfore grounding it. so now im back to square 1 again... joy
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM

Hmmm.......did you wire the constant battery feed into the ignition circuit somehow?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM

thats pretty much what im thinking... i got annoyed and came inside. i know when i hooked up the neg battery cable there was a slight zap like something was on. so i gotta figure out what i got hooked up wrong.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM

aight so i had an electrical problem yesterday when i tried to get the truck ready to test drive. i could crank the truck up. but when i went to turn it off.. it stayed running. i freaked out and snatched the harness apart and started tracing wires to see what i did wrong. well it seems that i fat fingered the COR relay plug and shorted it out. replaced the relay and it cranks and shuts off with the key now. so i put the truck back together and got ready to test drive it. i think i gotta find out a new place to fit the ECM because it dont fit behind the kick panel the way its supposed to fit. i donno what i did wrong haha.

gettin gas in it for the first time since july. so far so good

after about 20 minutes of driving it. i havent done the tach mod yet. but im going to because it annoys me not knowing what the RPMs are

the truck ran strong. very strong compared to the old 3.0... i mean it lit the tires up in 1st gear once i decided to see what it would do. im really pleased with the power increase. now i just hope the fuel mileage will be better and the truck will be more reliable. i got a few things to finish on the truck like cutting the hood and putting a hood scoop on it and making sure all the wiring is right on it. then next up is gathering up the parts for the SAS and stuff.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM

um is your speedo off? or were you going for a top speed record
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM

haha yeah man i was tryin to see just what it would do. that 3.4 will hauulll some booooty.. lol nah not reall. the speedo sometimes does that, i donno why it does it. most of the time it reeds accurate and then all the sudden it will go all the way over. i wish i knew what to do to fix it cause its very annoying
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM

DAng I wish my oil pressure gauge worked. It never came back after the swap.

Assuming I have pressure as it would have blown by now
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM

man honestly im just glad this thing cranks and runs. there are a few issues i have with the truck, i havent done the tach mod yet, the AC dont work cause i didnt hook it up, and the kick panel dont fit right over the ECM. i am really glad that the truck cranks and runs well. when i first started driving it the trans was super stiff but hell its been sittin up for 5 months without moving. but after a few miles it got back to normal so im glad about that.

im trying to make myself take the dash apart and fix the tach but man i hate taking dash parts apart. im a big sasquatch and i hate foolin with plastic parts lol
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 PM

aight so i got some time today and decided to take a grinder to the hood of my toyota. i bolted the hood to the truck and then tried to shut it. then pushed the top of the hood to find the spots where the engine was touchin the hood... then peeked in the crack between the hood and grill to see where it was touchin...

actually the the visual hight of the engine stickin up so high must have been an illusion.. thats good

first cut.

2nd cut. the trottle body bracket and vac lines was touchin.. so i had to clearance it.

so im gonna drive it like this for a lil while till i can figure out what kinda hood scoop to run

done put 250 miles on it so far.. runs like a champ... changed the oil to make sure everything was good. now its on a regular oil change schedule. woohoo
Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM

okay so i have put alil over 300 miles on this truck. it has been acting up recently though. everytime it rained the truck would cough and backfire and die. then the other day it snowed and that really threw a wrench in the mix. so today i decided to figure out what was going on. i knew something was getting wet and causing the problems. first the other day i thought it might have been plugs and plug wires. didnt help. so i was lookin under the hood and it was all basically dry so i went under the dash and started digging the ECM out. my cousin was watchin me and noticed water on the electrical tape of the wiring harness.. ut oh..

so i started lookin under the dash and noticed a steady drip from the dash/firewall. looked outside and saw the windsheild trim stickin up some so i started diggin in

so i got the window trim off and the sealant had failed and was allowing water in.

so i cleaned the area up and used an air blower to dry it. then tested for leaks. sure enough found the leak

so i sealed up the crack in the body panel and then filled the gap with silicone and put it all back together. then cleaned and dried the ECM and fuel pump and wiring harness up and put it all back together. so now im waiting for it to rain again to see if it is fixed. man i sure hope so
Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 AM

No wonder it leaks. You are using Luke Skywalker's light saber to cut holes

I would check it with a water hose.

That could have been a disaster. Glad you got it figured out. I don't know that I would silicone on that though. I would grab a tube of 3m body sealer, or some urethane. I never have good luck with just silicone on anything. I always comes apart, or loses contact with the surface its on. If you use urethane wears gloves!!!! That stuff will not come off your skin for weeks no matter what!!

Saw your other post on starting your SAS. Looking forward to that. I am gathering parts for one as well.

Last edited by dntsdad; 02-12-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

thanks man actually i did use urethane type stuff to seal that crack up in the body and then used automotive window silicone to seal it up. ill test it out soon when it rains.

yeah i cant wait to actually start turning wrenches on the SAS. im waitin on my tax return to come back right now.

Quick Reply: daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.