3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aight, so i had a lil time to fool with the 4 runner to see if it would still crank and run. the throttle body was only halfway hooked up so i made sure i could get it to work and tried to crank it, but some dumdumb siphoned all the fuel out of it. so i siphoned gas out of the lawn mower and once it primed up VROOOM... there is somethin wrong with the throttle body or somethin because it wouldnt idle lower than about 1600rpms... i added water that spewed out last time i tried to crank it. it ran for about 20 minutes as i checked for leaks or funny noises, nothing seemed bad except for a lil smoke, but it has been flipped so i figure that has something to do with it. pics coming soon... stupid dialup internet
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM

here is a few pictures, and a few questions.

when i got the truck the dumdumb had lost the original throttle body, gotta figure this situation out

none of the linkage will hook up.

got this one from a 97 5 speed truck... still no luck.. guess the throttle linkage changed that year or something.

ran for 20 minutes and still was puffin a lil smoke. the engine was basically free so its gettin swapped. if it blows i can get another 3.4 before i can find a running 3.0

20 minutes running at that RPM cause it wouldnt idle down because of the throttle body. didnt lose any water, so i figure it will run a lil while in my truck.

im gonna start gathering parts for the swap, clutch parts and such. gotta find a throttle body at some point.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM

hehe I love the hay in the compartment. Hey is the valve thingy on the back side of the throttle body hooked up to a vacuum line? this will affect the idle. if you physically close the throttle will the idle go down?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM

oh and I have a 97 3.4 and that throttle body you have doesn't look like it is from a 97. Unless its from a 2wd? and they had different ones??
Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM

i didnt put the dirty throttle body on the truck.. just by judging how the linkage hooks up it wouldnt work... yeah i had vise grips on the throttle plate and would close it and it would stay at 1800RPMs or so.. i know its a vac leak from somewhere but i donno where half the vac lines go.. oh and thats not hay... its pine straw.. lol its shoved in my "boneyard" beside my shop. the dirty throttle body supposedly came off of a 97 5 speed 3.4 liter. i didnt fool with it today but id like to see if i can figure out the vac lines and all that.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The linkage on the top picture is from the automatic. The cable nearest the throttle body (the one you're holding in the pic) is your throttle cable (for your A/T). The outside cable (the one still hooked up) is your accelerator cable.

The other linkage you're showing is for a 5 speed, hence it has no throttle cable for the A/T, just for the accelerator.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM

yeah i figured that was what it all was... it just all hooked up backwards.. i found a throttle body off of a 96 4runner that im gonna get tomorrow for it. might go ahead and order the clutch and all that good stuff too
Old 10-28-2010, 02:26 PM

aight yall... lets just say i have been really really freaking busy... i basically have forgot i even have my toyota till the other day...

okay i got a couple more questions.. the 3.4 in that 96 4runner... its got some miles on it and it smokes.. im goin to swap it, but im just wondering how different the 96 3.4 is than later ones, as far as sensors and all that other stuff... i just dont wanna make a bad situation worse.

hopefully ill be able to start on this toyota sometime this month and ill be on here reading till im blue in the face tryin to figure stuff out... i cant believe i forgot about my own truck.. haha..
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM

okay... so im pulling the 4 runner in the shop tomorrow and starting to pull the 3.4 out of it... ive been looking alot the past week or so and the wiring still buggs the crap out of me... ive been seeing yall have diagrams and im trying to figure out where to get a good set from... im gonna make sure i dont cut any wires tomorrow as i pull the engine out... thanks ahead of time for any information

mainly im lookin for more info on the wiring harness of the 96 4runner and 89 truck
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM

aight so i didnt get the engine all the way pulled but i did get a good start on it... bellhousing bolts are hard on a bad shoulder lol...

here are some pictures
had to cut the roof off of it to get to the dash and everything

Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM

im taking some picures and posting them up just for my general reference on this build

Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
just so you know.. you'll need an ecu from a 97 or newer if you plan to supercharge the motor. The MAF sensor is different 99 and up
sometime in 2000 to 2002 they switched to throttle by wire. 99 I think is when the O2 sensors changed. I'm not fore sure on all the years but they are close enough.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 AM

aight thanks.... im pretty much planning on keeping the engine simple and stuff.. i dont wanna get into all kinds of problems.. but ill deffinatly keep that in mind when i decide to get more power
Old 12-19-2010, 03:55 PM

aight i finally got the engine pulled... i pulled the whole engine harness out with the motor as far as i know... which included the transmission harness... i left the power steering lines in there and stuff... but im not gettin rid of the 4runner anytime soon so ill be able to get any parts out as i need them. next up im gonna pressure wash the engine bay of my truck and get to snatchin the motor out of it. im gonna write down a parts list and start buyin up the parts to put the motor in the truck...

Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM

Subscribed!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM

aight im writing down the parts list im gonna need for this swap... hopefully i can get the parts this week and start getting this thing swapped over... im gonna prolly at the very least put a new oil pump in the 3.4 before i slide her in there. (old superstitionin).

a couple things still concern me,

from what ive read so far i havent found much about swappin the auto ECU into a manual equiped truck. ive got some wiring diagrams on the 96 and im trying to locate more on it and start trying to find stuff on my 89 truck.

im not worried about the mechanical part of the swap... the wiring still seems kinda daunting because i havent quite dived into splicing all the stuff together yet.. but im sure it will go together once i get there. im just hoping some of yall yotaheads can help calm my nerves haha
Old 12-22-2010, 02:41 PM

aight now to pull the engine out of my truck. i had to clean it up before i get it pulled (still didnt get it clean) had to finish cleaning it after the engine was out.

and started pullin the engine out.

thats alot of vac lines and stuff piled into once spot

almost out.

the infamous empty engine bay picture

now im going to buy the clutch parts and get ready to put this thing back together

Last edited by vital22re; 12-24-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: inappropriate picture
Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 PM

hurry up and get your stuff done so I can come wire it up!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:10 PM

i got both engines on the stand a lil while ago and sitting side by side so i can swap over the parts needed to get this swap done.

3.4 front view

3.0 front view

3.4 back view

3.0 back view.

im gonna start swapping the parts over thats gotta get swapped... im gonna run the 3.0 AC compressor on the 3.4.. but im not sure if im gonna swap the altenator and other stuff over. gonna do some more reading on here and see whats my best option.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

aight.. so i got the engines rolled over on the stands and pulled the oil pans. had to hop on here and make sure i read what i read on swapping them over. now ill upload the pictures and go finish swapping the pans.

3.0 pickup tube and windage tray

3.4 pickup tube and windage tray

that is some cool looking main caps...

oh and i guess i need to mount these on the 3.4. lower braces for the 5speed trans.

im hoping to get the oil pans swapped and AC compressor swapped and all the other stuff i gotta do to get the enigne ready to drop. gotta pick up the clutch parts at 3 and hopefully the engine will be in the truck by dark:30 so stay tuned.

Quick Reply: daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.