3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

After this swap sitting for almost a year Im ready to finish it with some help...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid move while working on my swap. Toyota Techs, PLEASE HELP!

2001 3.4L from Tacoma

Had engine on stand flipped over, oil pan removed so as to switch the pickup tubes.
Well, instead of flipping it back over and putting the nuts on so they would not fall into the internals of the engine I chose to try the, "Live and learn method" intead.
So we flipped the engine over hoping it would just fall right out. We listened for any noise of it clanking around but heard nothing, and no nut on the shop floor.
Next, we spent about 2 hours with magnets and flashlights trying to locate it with no luck.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? Hopefully some ideas before tearing down the whole thing..? Maybe flush quarts of oil through it and hope to hear it fall to the pan?

Im open for any suggestions.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM

oh, and everyone says, "get it out, not worth the chance." I know that! My question is simplest method of removal? if there is one at all..?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM

bump..?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I'm a little confused as to what the problem is exactly. You dropped one of the bolts for the pickup tube into the motor while upside down? And now can't find it?

I guess I'm confused because it sounded like you have the pan back on now?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 AM

no pan is still off, just on with a couple of bolts until I figure out where to start pulling it apart from. the nut disappeared. i swear. haha

im just as confused.
I am going to Pismo for the weekend but will be back at it again on Monday.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Get a video scope and look around they work wonders
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 PM

is there oil keeping it like inside a piston? I mean there really isnt a lot of places to go. Its just an engine. up inside a piston, it could have gone into one of the big oil journals coming from the heads, so if its still upside down, maybe pull the valve covers and see if its resting in there? Good luck, that sucks....
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Foot long piece of 2x4. Smack the crap out of the block in various places by using a hammer on the 2x4. Be careful not to slip.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM

SR5: That was my next plan. buddy offered his to me just the other day.
hamish: the oil journals is where I am afraid it went...
UKrunner: I'll definitly give it a shot! wish I had thought of that sooner.

Thanks to everyone for the input, let ya know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 AM

The other thing is are you asbsolutely 100% sure it went into the motor? I did something similar on my GN last summer where I could swear that I dropped a washer into the intake valley. I looked for it forever and finally gave up. When I pulled the car out later, there it was sitting on the ground. It must have bounced under the car and wedged in next to one of the front tires. It was a relief that I found it and didn't have to worry about where it was, but also destoyed my belief structure in that I could swear I sawand heard it go into the valley.

Just throwing it out there.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by theMonch
The other thing is are you asbsolutely 100% sure it went into the motor? I did something similar on my GN last summer where I could swear that I dropped a washer into the intake valley. I looked for it forever and finally gave up. When I pulled the car out later, there it was sitting on the ground. It must have bounced under the car and wedged in next to one of the front tires. It was a relief that I found it and didn't have to worry about where it was, but also destoyed my belief structure in that I could swear I sawand heard it go into the valley.

Just throwing it out there.

Absolutely positive. I even thought that was possible and checked the shop floor thouroughly to find nothing. I really have a feeling it fell into the heads... Ill be out there today after 6pm and try a few of the recomendations. *fingers crossed*
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Another suggestion that has worked for me in the past.

Shop vac!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Keep em coming! I will try any and all!

UKrunner: thank again!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Will my 94 Runner w/ 3.4L swap pass bar...

To all those who have been to the CA BAR referee with their swaps...

So I got a s/c for my 3.4L swap. Will I need to go to the referee before bolting it on to avoid a failure?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the superchargers were a factory/dealer option so there shoulden't be any problem, they are mostly anal about emission components I.e E-vap ,exhaust and the cats, and how they must remain in there stock location.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by just call me smithy
the superchargers were a factory/dealer option so there shoulden't be any problem, they are mostly anal about emission components I.e E-vap ,exhaust and the cats, and how they must remain in there stock location.
Thanks for the input. You know if it matters weather cat is from the 94 or the 01?

Anyone out there that has actually passed BAR w/ the supercharger/swap?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Um, cal BAR is something every lawyer has to become a member to in order to represent a client in the state of California.

However, CARB is the California air/resources board that controls smog laws and junk. Maybe that's what you were referring to.

Tell your 4Runner I said "good luck" passing the bar exams. Heard those are hell.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Um, cal BAR is something every lawyer has to become a member to in order to represent a client in the state of California.

However, CARB is the California air/resources board that controls smog laws and junk. Maybe that's what you were referring to.

Tell your 4Runner I said "good luck" passing the bar exams. Heard those are hell.

Youre, input wasn't needed, but I guess you always have to expect 1 smart a$$ remark.
BTW
I believe CARB is the board that regulates the laws in which the referees follow, either way you knew what I meant.

For everyone else who matters...
supercharger/swaps that have gotten a sticker?!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by calipatient
Youre, input wasn't needed, but I guess you always have to expect 1 smart a$$ remark.
BTW
I believe CARB is the board that regulates the laws in which the referees follow, either way you knew what I meant.

For everyone else who matters...
supercharger/swaps that have gotten a sticker?!

The TRD SC is CARB legal in California, so it won't matter whether you install it before or after your visit to the ref. If you think it will draw too much attention to your swap, install it after.

And you are correct in your first post, refs work under the BAR program (Bureau of Automotive Repair), which works under contract by the state.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by cadman
The TRD SC is CARB legal in California, so it won't matter whether you install it before or after your visit to the ref. If you think it will draw too much attention to your swap, install it after.

And you are correct in your first post, refs work under the BAR program (Bureau of Automotive Repair), which works under contract by the state.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: After this swap sitting for almost a year Im ready to finish it with some help...?