3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

97 MT 3.4 into 95 Auto/Converted to Manual Wiring Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 MT 3.4 into 95 Auto/Converted to Manual Wiring Help Needed

Well I am now to everyones favorite part of the conversion and the part I have been dreading the entire time - WIRING!

Tried to map out using TIS and basically a whole hell of wires don't match colorwise.. Not as easy as I thought

Has anyone already completed a swap of a 97 3.4 MT 4runner engine into a 95 4runner? I also am doing the auto to manual conversion at the same time. The engine is in the bay and starting to hook up all the easy stuff. But the wiring is going over my head and thought I may be able to use someone elses hard work to complete this dreaded step.

Any help out there on this step?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:24 PM

BTW in sacramento area

Also, if anyone is near to the sacramento area and could stop in and coach me on the process that would be extemely helpful! Any help would be very appreciative!!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Pictures of connectors now included for reference

I have attached the IH1 and IH2 connectors from the 95 and the II1 and II3 connectors from the 97 as well for you technologically advanced gurus..

I have been staring at diagrams for two days now and I "think" i have a handful of them matched but not even close to all of them. Again any help from you wiring pros would be very helpful.

Last edited by timmJ; 09-15-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah, all i could really say about this is you have to match wires by function, not color. there are some wires that match in color, but for the most part, colors changed every year. just look at what component the wire comes from and goes to. all of the necessary stuff is pretty straightforward, except for the circuit that supplies power to all of the sensors. in my case, i had 3 whire/red wires; one from the ecu, one from the cor, and one from the new engine harness. i spliced the one from the cor into the one from the engine harness, then plugged those into the ecu. that and the starter wire were the only splices i made through the entire conversion. good luck!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM

well i got to the point of labeling and wiring everything up but I am sure I have made a few mistakes on it and will have to troubleshout. Especially some of the ABS stuff.

I do have a question on my auto to manual conversion and how my swap fits in with this. Basically I need to hook up the Clutch cancel switch and the other sensor on the pedal (cruise?) but how am I going to hook this in now? I know have a manual ECU connected up but still havent got to the "turnover" stage.

Last question I have is that my wiring harness that came with my engine has severed wires right next to the vapor pressure sensor (right after the sensor) and I have been unable to determine where these go and what if anything I need to do about it. Does anyone know where these run to and how i would go about finding that information??

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM

why are you messing with ABS, and Cruise and stuff. You shouldn't really have to worry about any of those. Just need to splice in the body harness to the ecu/engine harness of the new motor.

As for the broken wires, I would look at the wire colors, and match up the wires with wires in the EWD. Just take your time. And don't look at the overall EWD, look at the actuall engine one. Its colored and a lot easier to read. (If you weren't already looking at the colored ones)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks Hamish I will do exactly that. I actually was able to start it yesterday and it ran for a minute and then I shut it off. It sure is sweet without any exhaust!

It looks like mostly everyone is dropping their ABS system so it has been hard to determine the proper hook up on the wiring from the plugs. For the 4wd is everyone mounting the vacuum switch on the driver side and running a wire over or using the body harness from the 3.0 and locating on the passenger side?? I am very confused on what is required in this section of the swap as it I can't run it down in the posts. I know Elvota has a write up but still unclear on how to run them and hook it all up.

Last question I have is on the exhaust. I bought the crossover from Toyonlyswaps and I am wondering if I can just buy a used 97 exhaust and run it down the driver side with slight modifications? Has anyone done this? I thought the crossover from them was going to mate directly to my 95 exhaust but it has the dual flanges instead of the single like my 95 has.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM

You don't touch the 4wd stuff under the hood. All you need to worry about is making sure the wires from the transfer case 4wd switch are properly pinned in your ih1/2 or c1/2 engine harness side plugs. the vsv's I believe are a part of the body harness already, and so you don't mess with those. OH also the switch on the A.D.D. down in the front axle. You have to wire that in with the 2 wires from the driver side of the new harness that goes down to your tranny, and o2 sensors, etc.. Mine were like green and g-r or something like that. The plug was cut on my harness. But the 2 wires were right near the shock mount on my driverside. If that helps you.

You want the exhaust flange that has the 90 and the first o2 in it. You bolt that to your toyonlyswaps crossover. then do whatever you want after that. I usually weld the existing 3.0 exhaust back up. it has seemed to work for people just fine.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks again for your help. I am going to finish up the wiring tonight on the ADD. I traced the wires and it looks like I have two different "plugs" that go back to the tranny that deal with the 4wd. Is this the case with everyone else? I have one that says L4 posistion ADD idicator and then another that is ADD S/w. Which one do i splice into with the plug coming out of my front differential?

Another issue I ran into is the Air Control valve hook ups on the power steering pump. I know one connection goes to the front of the plenum but the other I have searched and searched and the only drawings I can find shows it coming from the resonator on the air intake. However, I don't have a connection on mine for this so I am not sure where it connects to. Does anyone have a 97 4runner engine and knows where this connects?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM

PM sent on the 4wd stuff. And it looks like you do have the 97 4runner, so that is good. I also have this motor. I chose not to worry about the power steering idle up stuff. I just connected the stock power steering hoses to the new pump. They fit perfectly. You just use the original banjo bolt from the 3.0 pump. And the other side of the idle switch does go to your intake tube. It doesn't have to be anywhere specific, I would imagine though that it needs to go somewhere in between the MAF, and the throttle body. Not sure if that is a for sure thing. But thats where it goes in stock wise, so I would try to replicate that.