3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4l Swap Emissions Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

Just cleared the first 500 miles on the engine! So with that the "Breakin period" is now over. Over the last couple of weeks I have been watching my ODBII reader on fuel trims and 02 sensor readings. Along with that I have been noticing some small problems that I haven't been able to pin point.
First off the 3.4 is awesome! the truck is so much fun to drive! I think I'm getting over 17 mpg city during the first tank of gas too!

But somethings that are bugging me are:
  1. Hard start at times. Not consistent, sometimes happens cold, sometimes hot. But will just keep turning, i give it a minute and try again and it fires right up.
  2. After warm (driving for 10 minutes) it starts to Idle low sitting around 500 rpm.
  3. Over the last weeks I have noticed the power seems to be strained, Especially at Idle! Having lights on, braking, and having a turn signal going, I can watch the battery gauge dip. It also seems to drop the idle RPMS too.
Some of the things I have worked on over the past month or so:
  1. Redid "BIG 3" wire upgrade. I used 8 gauge the first time. With the dip in power to all my accsesories at Idle I was concerned that my wiring was the problem. So i redid it using 2 gauge wire I bought off of amazon. I was going to use 4 gauge but all the reviews said it was not true to size. I also upgraded all of my ground wires and added a 120amp breaker for the alternator.
  2. Checked valve clearance after hitting the 500 miles mark. I considered this a kind of check-up and tune-up all in the same. After talking with someone that knows far more than I do about Toyota's I was suggested that that could also lead to some strange readings through O2 sensors.. ect. I sure am glad I took the time to do this. After talking with him he suggested Intake valves should sit tighter .13mm and the exhaust should be on the looser side 37mm. This is due to exhaust valves being exposed to higher volumes of heat that they will stretch over time. Makes total sense to me. Out of 24 valves I had 17 that I adjusted. One full day to just measure everything, which is very important to make sure you measure everything as best as possible. Then another day for getting the shims and putting everything back together. Was able to get shims from a local Toyota shop. Performance Plus In Golden, CO is the best! The next day took it for a decent hour long drive and it drove great! i feel like it helped make the engine even smoother. That being said No real change in fuel trims or O2 readings.

Heres where my head is at, I feel like my fuel pump is going out.. Low idle, Low power to accessories, and I have fuel trims and O2 readings that indicate a slightly lean running engine.
I also walked around the truck and i feel like i can hear a low high pitched whine right at the tank. Also while driving I am feeling a slight vibration, which i thought might have been my wheel bearing not being tighten correctly. I took a couple of hours to look at both hubs and tighten everything back down, still feeling a vibration.. which I am wondering might be the strained pump during acceleration?

Input is always appreciated!

Last edited by filthyphil; 05-03-2021 at 11:47 AM.