3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.4 wiring help needed

i know there are probably tons of threads about wiring the 3.4 into 3.0 and 22re vehicles, but because of my time limit due to school in 2 days and still needing to get this truck to the exhaust shop i dont have time to read all of them.

i hae paid for the tis program but have no idea how to use it and cant find what i at least think i need. i have a 1994 toyota pickup 4x4, m/t 3.0 that i am putting the 1995.5 tacoma 3.4 into. i am solid front axled so there is no vaccum switches and other crap. all i have left is the wiring and because i cannot seem to find what i need i am starting to panic. if someone could please point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:52 PM

am i suppose to be making the 2 plugs that do not plug into the ecu plug into the truck?
am i suppose to fashion the 3.0 plugs that normally connect to the truck to the 3.4 harness so that i can just plug it in and have all of my info?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

anyone?

i know you brilliant people can point me in the right direction. i have been searching for hours now and cannot find my connectors on any diagrams.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the (connector, ground and splice) section in TIS the 94 should be C1 and C2 the Tacoma is IK1 and IK2. These are the body to engine harness plugs.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Download all the EWDs for both trucks especially the the overall diagrams if they are there. From there trace all the functions.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM

thanks. i have been reading and searching for HOURS! haha and found the answe(kind of) right before i read your post. my only problem is the pinouts. i have found the c1 and c2 pinouts but cannot find the other 2 unless they are under the overall diagrams. i like the pinouts that number the pins and show you the plug and then tell you what each number is. but i cant find that for the ik1 and ik2
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM

another thing is that when i was trying to plug in all of my transmission stuff i noticed that this tacoma did not have an electronic vss and my pickup does. so what do i do? i did not loook into it much because i was already frusterated with the wiring and not being able to find any answers at the time. there is also a plug on the top of the tranny that is kind of like a pig tail, i think it is 2 wires but the plugs on both the tranny and the harness are different from each other. i dont know what to do. but hopefully i will be able to figure it out tomorrow. if anyone can give me a little insight it would be much appreciated!

and thank you deyzin for the guidance! i hope i can figure this thing out tomorrow and get the truck started so that i can bring it to the exhaust shop.

which spawns another question, what diameter exhaust should i go with for this truck?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM

I was planning on getting a 2 1/2" inlet and outlet muffler.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 AM

ok, but any word on the speed sensor problem i think i have? ill be back at the shop in about thirty minutes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM

anyone have ik1 and ik2 pinouts for 96 toyota tacoma?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 AM

Try looking for SPD or SPD1, something like that pinout on the ECU. Find that pinout on both ECUs. I think all you need is one wire to make it work.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 AM

i just dont understand how its so easy for everyone
Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM

because we don't rush it. I know that doesn't help, but it took me a month of just studying the diagrams whenever I had free time, to really understand what went on in Toyota engineer's minds. And then to put the 15 or so wires from the body harness to the new engine harness.. I was frustrated like you on that part, but then I just took a breather and came back to it. Iinstead of working on the whole set, I did one wire at a time. It made things easier by breaking it down to individual wires rather than trying to get it all setup at once.

I hope that made a little sense hehe.

Where exactly are you stuck still? Is it just the VSS that you are stuck on? Can you send me your 94 ewds? I don't have that one, and I will take a look and see what i can do for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM

i am basically stuck on the 3.4 side of the equation. i have the pinout of the c1 and c2 from another thread that i think you might have posted for a 92 4runner, but i cant find the same thing for the 3.4 engine to body harness. i just picked up the 95 tacoma ewd manual from a toyota tech but once again it doesnt show the plug and tell you wire for wire pin for pin.

once i can figure out what each wire does on the 3.4 harness i can move them around obviously very easy but other wise it is very difficult.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM

oh and send me your email so i can send you the ewd i have. i didnt necessarily down load them i just saved them to a folder on my computer. everyone is saying download which is kind of confusing me also.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM

i have figured out very few things.
just tach, oil, water temp, and ignition 2.

everything else i cant make anything of.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotanick
i am basically stuck on the 3.4 side of the equation. i have the pinout of the c1 and c2 from another thread that i think you might have posted for a 92 4runner, but i cant find the same thing for the 3.4 engine to body harness. i just picked up the 95 tacoma ewd manual from a toyota tech but once again it doesnt show the plug and tell you wire for wire pin for pin.

once i can figure out what each wire does on the 3.4 harness i can move them around obviously very easy but other wise it is very difficult.
There is a good write here on how to use the EWDs more efficiently using Acrobat. If you dont have it you can get the trial version from Adobe. I think that it helps a ton.

Originally Posted by toyotanick
i have figured out very few things.
just tach, oil, water temp, and ignition 2.

everything else i cant make anything of.
If you can do four, you can do them all!!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM

well the 4 i found came out and said it. the others not so much but i think i might have it now. i need to get the exhaust done before i can try and start it.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 PM

if anyone needs it my username for TIS is

toyotanick
psw is pseudo609

but for those of you who would like to help me out i have a 1994 truck that had the 3.0 m/t
i am putting in a 95.5 manual ecu and corresponding harness

the engine to dash plugs for the 3.0 are c1 and c2
the engine to dash plugs for the 3.4 are ik1 and ik2

if anyone could lend me a hand it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by toyotanick; 01-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does take a little time and patience.

As Hamish said, I also stared at EWD's for a month or so before I even considered pulling the old motor. Once I felt confident in my diagram I KNEW that it was time and Iwas ready.

There was a little trial and error, but all in all, it was pretty much a straight first time start-up.

Look in my sig for a write up I did on comparing sytems between trucks and how to deduce what goes where.

Just about every swap is different so my write-up will never be apples to apples for you, but it should put you in the right direction.

Mopst swaps I have seen dominantly involve just the two plugs that come from the 3.4 engine wiring harness that do not plug into the ECM and the two plugs from the body harness that used to be plugged into the old 3.0 engine harness. The other main plug for me was the 4th ECM plug that used to come from the 3.4 body harness and plug into the ECM. But look at my write-up, it's all in there.

After you think you might have a grasp on it, start posting up particular problems as they arise (i.e. COR relay, tach, speed sensor, etc) and I'm sure the community will help out.

Quick Reply: 3.4 wiring help needed