Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

"Warming up an engine"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why should i believe them? where are their studies to prove that this is the way it should be done?
Old 12-16-2003, 04:49 PM

I would like to see you guy's drive off in 10 seconds after a night of an ice storm and it's 15 out the next morning. That may work for you guy's who keep your Taco in a garage but not outside. The defrosters wont even work in that time and I'm not driving off shivering and unable to see just to save an ounce of gas.
The oil weights are made for a reason and it has to do with hot and cold weather and to help the oil WARM faster so that it will flow easier. If you worry about carbon go up on the feeeway and hit 90 for a few minutes and you will blow it right out.
My truck doesn't move until it's idealing right and warm inside. Guess I'm just a big pansy Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 04:56 PM

Post What I do......

My routine goes like this.

I let mine warm up about ten minutes while I get ready to go to work or where ever. If I take longer to get ready who cares. My engine will just be that much more warmed up.
I just will not drive more than driving to relocate my rig in the parking lot at work. If my rig has sat for more than three hours in the cold weather I will let it warm up. Warming up in my opinion is letting it run until the idle drops to atleast 1200 RPMs or until I hear it kick down. At 204,000 miles I just feel protecting my engine is key.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Beartracker
I would like to see you guy's drive off in 10 seconds after a night of an ice storm and it's 15 out the next morning. That may work for you guy's who keep your Taco in a garage but not outside. The defrosters wont even work in that time and I'm not driving off shivering and unable to see just to save an ounce of gas.
The oil weights are made for a reason and it has to do with hot and cold weather and to help the oil WARM faster so that it will flow easier. If you worry about carbon go up on the feeeway and hit 90 for a few minutes and you will blow it right out.
My truck doesn't move until it's idealing right and warm inside. Guess I'm just a big pansy Mike
Well you got me there. The coldest it gets around here is about 43 degrees.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:23 PM

Average temp right now in Central Wa. State is in the 20's.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:33 PM

Well i did some testing this week, one day i warmed it up for 4 mins then drove off, everything seemed ok. Today i warmed it up for about 20 secs before i drove off, and i noticed that the engine shifts at a much later rpm than when warm. It almost feels like it just wants to stay in the lower gear for a min then finally shifts. It definetly does not like the colder engine. After a 2-3 min warm up the engine seems to run alot better and shift when its supposed to.

I guess my thing with not warming it up is if when its cold, it doesnt shift till a higher rpm, isnt that bad for an engine to be working that hard to go with cold fluids? Im thinkin a couple min warm up is the way to go.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:50 PM

aside from not being healthy for my engine I want to say a big factor is I hate driving in a cold vehicle. Keep me warm:
Old 12-16-2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Beartracker
You're right; that takes about 72 seconds - and I park outside.

1. Start engine, throw AC on with defrost, full bore
2. Unplug
3. Scrape windshield
4. Climb inside cab, now a comfortable temp and leave

Old 12-17-2003, 05:09 AM

That's what I love about my engine block heater. Get in the truck, start it up and take off w/ an instantly warm heater. Just don't forget to unplug it before taking off which I've done a couple of times.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Arnold
Just don't forget to unplug it before taking off which I've done a couple of times.

Ya, those zip ties hold up to an amazing amount of abuse, don't they.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

I'm glad most of you feel the same way I do about warming up the engine. Let the rmps drop to a reasonable level, and then take off; only takes a few mins Motor definetly likes it...

Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 AM

When I startup my pickup in the moring I the oil pressure build up
before I leave. It takes about 10 - 30 seconds depending on tempreture.

It's all about lube babby!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:03 PM

The engine idles higher upon startup to allow the engine to warm up faster. If you begin driving it after about 30 seconds, you're doing the same thing as a high idle, except you're now going somewhere.

When it's cold out, don't drive like you're in NASCAR. Yes, it shifts higher, so don't put the pedal to the metal. It shifts a bit higher but not high enough to damage your engine unless you make it.

If it's extra cold out and you'd like to warm it up for a bit more, there's nothing wrong with that. Especially if you have a good reason, like WileEToyote: scrape your windshield. Yes, wanting to drive away in 30 seconds or less doesn't count if you're going to compromise visibility and safety.

It ranges from about 10 F to -25 F and below in our winters. I've started it up and driven away in 30 seconds or less (60 seconds or less when it's colder) in 5-spds and autos and my vehicles have never complained about it. Sure the stick is a little tougher somedays, but it's not undriveable. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting it warm up a few extra minutes. I just don't like it when ppl idle it for 15 minutes before they drive away, thinking their engine is benefitting from it. Your engine is pretty close to optimal operating temperature within a few minutes, even in really cold weather and it gets closer to optimal operating temperature sooner, if you're driving it.

I think you're (whoever mentioned it) right about letting an older vehicle engine warm up a little longer though. As it ages, it tends to need a little more warm up time than a new engine.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:39 PM

yeah i dont floor it when i take off, im good about babying it till its at normal operating temerature, i just noticed that it takes longer to shift when cold .
Old 12-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

you guys should check this out:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=1;t=004751

similar thread but with oil guys discussing
Old 12-18-2003, 05:32 AM

Not buying it

I'm not buying in to the idea of driving away in 10 seconds in the winter or summer and i believe that some of the bullsh!it behind the idea is to save fuel in this country and not for the sake of the engine.
The metal in the rings and pistons still need to warm up as well as the water in the radiator for everything else to work right. My auto transmission will not shift right on cold days if i don't let it warm up for a few minutes and that's not good for it no matter how you look at it.
I read somewhere that by running the truck right away that in a years time you will save 1% on fuel. That's not eneough to justify killing my engine or transmission. I'll pay the extra 1%
Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 AM

Here is my take. In the mountains of western NC it goes to the middle 20's (average) to as much as 5 below 3-4 times a year. My car is always outside. I've heard both arguments in the past about taking off right away or letting it warm up. I tried it both ways. If I let my car warm up 2-3 minutes, the temp gauge is halfway to operating temp within a mile down the road. If I take off in 10 seconds it takes at least 5 miles to warm the car to the same temp. That means I'm driving much longer with cold oil UNDER LOAD. I know most friction happens in the first 5 seconds but I see no harm in 2-3 min warm up. The gas used at that time is so minimal you will never know it. This isn't a 350 4 barrel. This 2-3 minutes gives you time to scap ice, snow, defrost winshield with AC, etc. I usually start my car, go inside to brush my teeth, then leave.
I think one of those stick on oil pan heaters is probably better to extend engine life rather than a block heater. A lot easier to install too. Synthetic oil definitely helps at these temps.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by ByThaBay
you guys should check this out:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=1;t=004751

similar thread but with oil guys discussing
A lot of people that post here post there too...

I don't see how a short warmup does anything but good. Engines are fitted to work best at operating temperature. The less work they have to do while getting to that temp the better off they are IMO...
Old 12-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Okay so what exactly is the intent of an engine block heater? My Tundra has one, supposedly. Is it to give instant heated air from the HVAC or is it to keep the engine warm? I might want to install one in my Accord, that engine cools down awfully quick compared to any other car, when left parked outside while say i go into a store to buy something.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
It keeps the engine coolant & block warm enough in sub-freezing temps so that when you start the engine, all the engine fluids will start circulating faster & prevent engine wear/possible part breakage. If your Tundar has one, look for a three-prong electrical plug sticking out from or secured behind the grille. Unless your truck came from the frozen north, its highly doubtful that you have one. As for the Accord, it has an aluminum block so it will cool down faster than a cast iron one.

Quick Reply: "Warming up an engine"