Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Techies....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Techies....?

When my truck was in the water, the alarm was the first to go in my 98 as the "brain" is located right under the seat. I'm looking to getting a new security system all togeather. Mostly because of price, isn't it like $600 for a new toyota system? and you get alot more from the unit. Anyway... my question is this. Since I already have an alarm will they have to rewire everything? or will they just use the harness thats already there? My main concern is the powerlocks. I assume the power locks work through the stock alarm because they are the only thing that doesn't work in the truck and I know the alarm is toast. If different, let me know because then there is a wiring problem and then its a whole new bag of chips.

Thank you,
Old 05-25-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different brains will have different harnesses. Some shops will chop into the existing harness if it makes sense, some will rewire - especially if they warranty their installation. I've seen those alarms on Ebay before. If you can get one for cheap, why not get one. Plug and play would be the cheapest solution, provided other parts of the alarm aren't toast.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo,

I have the RS3000 alarm system in my 98.

I had exactly the same problem as you did minus...errr...the mud and water. The previous owner mustve spilled some water the brain unit and it had telltale signs of water damage inside the unit.

I got lucky. What I did was buy the brain unit from HaveBlue (Alan) b/c he was upgrading his alarm system. I plugged it right in and that's all she wrote!

I have a few suggestions on how to obtain another one: of course, try ebay. Try searching the terms rs3000 and toyota alarm. Who knows, you might get lucky. Also post on sounddomain.com

On ebay I found the RS3200 alarm, brand new: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2416763362

although this is for a highlander, email the seller---maybe youlll get lucky too.

Bob
Old 06-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! It will have to be really cheap though. Basicly if someone is getting rid of theirs and is going to almost give it to me because I can get the top of the line clifford for a little more than that highlander one. Looks like I'm going to be getting the clifford