Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

anyone do painting??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone do painting??

i just got a new tailgate for my tacoma and its black...my truck is dark green. i am trying to find a place to get this painted for under 100 bucks. all the shops that i have called want over 250. even maaco wanted 300 min for the lowest price!!!!! how much should this cost? anyone in the bay are want to hook me up??? i will do you yard or somehting. im only 17 so i dnt have much money, but i can work hard!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

It's not going to happen for $100.

The supplies alone (primer, base coat, clear coat) are going to be $115 minimum. That's what it's going to cost just to paint my front bumper myself. If you are concerned about appearance, pony up the dough. Heh heh, easy for me to say since it's not my dough Call around to some of the smaller auto body shops. Ask if there would be any difference in price if you prepped it yourself. Then set aside a day to strip all the old paint off. Most of the cost of a paint job is labor.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the only way you'll get it anywhere that cheap is if you take it off of your truck, and if it's painted, then strip it down and prime and sand to 400grit and then find a body shop that already has to spray the same color on another toyota and will let you slide yours in on their own time. Most body shops don't want to mess with such small jobs and don't want to paint a part that you buy from someone else. However, they will allow employees to do personal work on the side on their own time. IF you can do ALL the prep work yourself AND you can find an employee at a body shop willing to do it, then you MIGHT get it done for that cheap.

I could get the paint and clear for about $100, but then I'd charge you about $75 just in labor on top of that MINIMUM and I don't even have a shop.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 PM

oh ok, thanks for the replies guys. i can do ALL the prep work, i have to talk to this girl i went to school with last year, she learned how to paint and has been painting her mustang which looks really good....hopefully i can find someone casue i dont have much money, the county cut almost all my hours..on 16 a week!!!!!