Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Northern Californa, Lost Cost/ Usal road

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Eagle lakes would be so much fun... :O
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i think the trails in the Eldorado NF stay open through the winter, like Eagle lakes, signal peak, fordyce, rubicon, etc because people snow wheel out there. but the trails on the other side of 50, which is Amador Ranger District (?) close in the winter - these would be Squaw, Deer Valley, Strawberry, etc. They closed 1/1/12 - but I think since there's basically no snow up there people are pushing to have the Forestry Service re-open the trails.

we should all do Eagle lakes someday, i think it would be a good challenging trail for us IFS guys since a lot of it is more of the rocky stuff and it's fairly close to sac. I got onto part of the trail (and onto part of Fordyce by accident!), but wasn't able to continue because we had to be somewhere that evening. all i can say is that "driveshaft hill" looks way more intimidating in person than in the pics - i chose to bypass it since i didn't have sliders yet and there was nobody to go up it first and show me the proper line to take. even the bypass for d-shaft hill was gnarly - especially the pucker situation at the top where it re-connects at the top of the hill....you definitely don't wanna get too close to that crumbly edge...
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked online for the gas station in Leggett and couldn't find it. So better to get gas in Laytonville!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
i think the trails in the Eldorado NF stay open through the winter, like Eagle lakes, signal peak, fordyce, rubicon, etc because people snow wheel out there. but the trails on the other side of 50, which is Amador Ranger District (?) close in the winter - these would be Squaw, Deer Valley, Strawberry, etc. They closed 1/1/12 - but I think since there's basically no snow up there people are pushing to have the Forestry Service re-open the trails.

we should all do Eagle lakes someday, i think it would be a good challenging trail for us IFS guys since a lot of it is more of the rocky stuff and it's fairly close to sac. I got onto part of the trail (and onto part of Fordyce by accident!), but wasn't able to continue because we had to be somewhere that evening. all i can say is that "driveshaft hill" looks way more intimidating in person than in the pics - i chose to bypass it since i didn't have sliders yet and there was nobody to go up it first and show me the proper line to take. even the bypass for d-shaft hill was gnarly - especially the pucker situation at the top where it re-connects at the top of the hill....you definitely don't wanna get too close to that crumbly edge...
I have been to Eagle lakes before. It is not all that difficult to reach the Lakes. There are many good spots for camping around the Lakes. As for Drive-Shaft Hill, be my guest. I will stick to the crumbly bypass. Here is some vid. of 89silvertoy on Drive-Shaft Hill from the last time I was there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqLH...wqayBZjY0Pc7-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azWV...ohFKRK3-U7m8GG

Originally Posted by jeffe
I looked online for the gas station in Leggett and couldn't find it. So better to get gas in Laytonville!
Oh, O.K.. From what you wrote before, I thought you knew for sure there was gas at leggett. I will make sure to fill up in Laytonville,

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 01-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM

I called the BLM earlier and the recording said all the trails in the King range are open.....
Old 01-21-2012, 07:20 AM

OK, Just a week to go. Who thinks they can make this trip?

I am wondering how much affect the recent rain has made on the trail.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM

I'm coming.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcat...onditions.html
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Well, I will not be able to make this trip.

New issue for me, my E-brake was not holding. I decided to investigate the issue, thinking the cable stretched again. Turns out the inner axle seal I installed just over a year ago is leaking. The Passenger side rear brake is covered in gear oil as I am sure you have guessed.

Between School and work, I can not tear into the repair until this weekend. I simply do not feel safe going on a off-road trip with compromised brakes. Sorry if this disappoints but i must put this adventure on hold for my self.

For those who are still heading out there, take lots of pics for the rest of us who will be staying behind. Have a great adventure.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
bummer, keith. i'm also doing brakes this weekend, yay! Cruiser gets full brake job, and I need to look at brakes on the corolla which is making abnormal rear brake noise, so might as well swap those since i've got the pads sitting around.

someday i definitely wanna hit up USAL road, so we should plan to do so and get a good group together. in the meantime, we should all hit up some snow wheeling since it just dumped in the mtns - and i just bought 2 snow saucers yesterday for $8 at Target, hehe.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highonpottery
we should all hit up some snow wheeling since it just dumped in the mtns - and i just bought 2 snow saucers yesterday for $8 at Target, hehe.
Ya we should now that there is actually snow and not ice
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Damn!! That sucks! Any one else want to go? I just had some new tires put on yesterday for this ish.....
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Damn!! That sucks! Any one else want to go? I just had some new tires put on yesterday for this ish.....
damn man, sorry to have to cut out on you so suddenly, jeffe.

well I guess we could start discussing at later date at this point. Maybe some time in March. I am sure the road is pretty soupy now with the recent rain in that area.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

No worries. My new tires aren't any good either. Big O is replacing them on Monday. When I get over 60 the whole truck starts to shake. The rubber was bigger on one side of two of the tires....
The Northern roads are closed anyways and that's the part I want to go hiking at! They should open back open in April. Let's def get another trip on the calender soon.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 AM

No worries. My new tires aren't any good either. Big O is replacing them on Monday. When I get over 60 the whole truck starts to shake. The rubber was bigger on one side of two of the tires....
The Northern roads are closed anyways and that's the part I want to go hiking at! They should open back open in April. Let's def get another trip on the calender soon.

Your tire issue is a bummer, man.

Do you have any suggestions where to go?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i wont be making any trips right now my self .. finally started on the f150 tank swap that ive had sitting around for almost a year now .will be cutting in just a minute .. and my wife made other plans for me also.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Sorry to hear this trip didn't happen, but glad to hear I might have a chance to go when it does. I'm in the middle of a front axle rebuild / regear / upgrade right now. March should be good for me. I should have enough free hours between now and then to get her back on the road.

And Keith - that makes two trips that your truck has decided to go out right before a trip. Maybe the yotas trying to tell you something? Hope you get it back up and running soon.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Well I decided to go to Hollister yesterday with my buddy. By ourselves out there it was great. Then we got hung up on a rock and couldn't get off!!!

I'm down to hit the snow. I've been slow at work only a few days a week and my ruck is running well right now. So if anyone's doing anything hit me up.

I'm thinking a trip to the Clear Creek Management Area. It's about 30 minutes Southeast of Hollister. It has some gnarly trails but most of the rough stuff can be bypassed. What do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Road closed !!!!

Hey guys , I started making phone calls to see if USAL road was open between usal beach and shelter cove and I found out that its a mendocino county road and that its closed for the winter season . Where you fellas thinking of going a different way or just gonna wing it ? Kings range BLM is not who controls Usal road neither is CA state parks . Do you guys know something I dont know ? I was going to try to travel from Shelter Cove to usal beach over the presidents day weekend and Im finding that its closed all winter long . Any and all information you guys could give me pertaining to road closures and alternate trails in the area are greatly appreciated . My GF is really bummed we cant do the lost coast that weekend . Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to USAL beach a couple times. Leggett had a gas station as of summer 2007, I havent been up that way in a few years, so I can't personally vouch for it still operating today. I also don't remember the USAL road being closed during the winter. The sign at the entrance says 4x4 recommended, and that it is not maintained during the winter months. For those that have never been, you'll be surprised by the remoteness, and that for quite some time you are driving atop a 1000 foot cliff with no guard rail. Cool view though.

Too bad this didn't materialize , but I wouldn't have been able to make it anyway. Maybe reschedule for the springtime ?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
bump... wanna get one last wheeling trip in before changes start happenin in my life...

Quick Reply: Northern Californa, Lost Cost/ Usal road