Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter
Hey, great thread and pics. I can see youve done your homework researching locations.

I do alot of mine exploring myself, and have been to many of the sites youve mentioned. You should check out my new site and register for the message forum so we can discuss things further.

We will be going on many similar trips very soon. We currently are planning a Panamint Valley trip, so check us out, there are some mine pics in the media section as well, more to come soon.

www.nvttora.com
Cool site, I will sign up after Christmas and we can start to chat. Looks like I will be doing this mine hunting thing for along time. I'm hooked, even got myself a "wannabe" Indiana Jones hat. There's nothing like exploring and all the history out there.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Dangit, one of these days I'm gonna hook up with ya, Scottz. You were right there across the river! Let me know next time you're heading out this way. Tomorrow Marc P and I are gonna go play around Oatman... there's a couple trails out there that are lotsa fun, and a grip of mines. My wrist is broken right now, so no rapping down the shafts for me, but I am itching to get my gear dirty again. Anyway, great pics. I'll post some of me and Marc's ride tomorrow....
Anytime, I have a buddy that lives in Bullhead and owns a radio station (KTOX1340AM) and we offten are in your area. He's taken us to the mines by Oatman but we never really got to check them out and I'm told there awesome. I'll post here the next time we head your way. Scott
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottz
Cool site, I will sign up after Christmas and we can start to chat. Looks like I will be doing this mine hunting thing for along time. I'm hooked, even got myself a "wannabe" Indiana Jones hat. There's nothing like exploring and all the history out there.
For sure, I keep telling myself Im going to stay out of mines... but I never do.

Its an addiction, the hunt of finding them and then of course you have to explore them. Many are too crazy for me... as you know you get a feel for what is too much and not safe. Its hard to find areas that are trully unexplored and reasonably safe to get to. My buddy and I used to do search and rescue work so we sort of know what were doing, but mainly its just what your gut and instincts tell you. I always carry at least 3 light sources and lots of extra batteries, you can never be too carefull.

Definately come over to nvttora and chat after the holidays.

D
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
In cave and enclosed environment wreck diving we use stuff we call "cave line" which is nylon multi-strand. We tie the line very securely to the starting point. We tie the line at intermdiate points so that the line stays taught and off the bottom (using a knot that's secure but easily untied when exiting). Sometimes small plastic arrows (called "line arrows") are attached to the line so there's no confusion about which way is out. (See http://www.fifthd.com/store/index.ph...2068a30bb7d871 for some examples) I'd be concerned about using monofiliment in a cave for at least two reasons. 1) It's hard to see . . . especially in low light and 2) It tends to break easily when pulled tight over a sharp edge or rubbed against a rough edge. The white cave line we use is better on both acounts. I'm not sure what spelunkers use, if anything, in caves that aren't filled with water. Getting out quickly when necessary is a good thing even if your gas supply isn't limited.
First off let me just say how AWSOME this thread is... I've gotten really amped up about going out and looking for stuff like this to do CHeers

THe Line you're talking about is Life Line that was designed for the Fire and Rescue Service and would serve as the PERFECT thing for these cave/mine crawls... I wasthingking you could just drop snap lights every so often or loop/tie them on some mono-filiment every so often or at every turn... that life line stuff is pretty expensive for the average punter...

have fun and be safe, but not too safe cause then it's not fun
Old 12-13-2005, 08:27 PM

Hey Scott! I still got your #. I'll make sure I use it next time. So what's on your calender for the next month or two? I got a couple areas (Central Nv) of interest but they will be spring trips. I'm still working on it the "details" and making "friends" that have been into the area and can help lol!

I do have a trip in mind that I ALMOST did(made it out to the area and had to turn back)a few years back. Starts in Mesquite and goes thru the backcountry to the North Rim. If I remember right it was about 200 miles all remote backcountry travel. It's a great area I just never had the chance to explore as I wanted.

Dennis
Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 AM

Holiday's are over and I'm ready to get out of town for some more mine exploring. Got a few more gadgets in my rig and more flashlights. I would like to do a couple of trips before the big one in late April. Anyone up for a 1 day trip in the next 2 weeks let me know. Scott

Old 01-28-2006, 10:21 AM

I drive throuth that area all the time. I've never been on the mojave trail though. I would love to go for the day, if you want some more vehicles to tag along PM me.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BlwnTuRD
I drive throuth that area all the time. I've never been on the mojave trail though. I would love to go for the day, if you want some more vehicles to tag along PM me.
I'd be interested in this one as well... as long as 2wd is OK, I would be interested.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM

Scott I've got all my weekends locked up until March. In march we are heading to Sedona, AZ to do some exploring and do the tourist thing.

Dennis