Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.

So a few freinds and I decided that we are going to spend the next couple of months every other weekend going to the Mojave Desert looking for and exploring mines here. Last weekend was the first and so we headed out to a trail named the "The Old Mojave Road" which is a fun trail running right through the middle of the desert. We have been on this road what seems like hundreds of times since 1988 but never really going far off the trial since gas is a major player on trips here with the trial being 135 miles long or more depending on where you start. But for the next few trips we will be doing shorter runs on the Mojave Rd. and spending more time driving on roads less traveled.
With GPS it really has opened up the exploring possibillity's of doing these kinds of trips where before we would just blast through the desert and not really check out the surroundings for fear of getting lost or running out of gas or both so the only mines we would see where close to the trial.
We will start with the lower half of Mojave at Manix road and pick up the trial in the Mojave river wash and head toward Afton Canyon.
If anyone has any info on some Mines and this area let us know and will check them out and post it here in the TRIAL REPORTS theads.
If you want to follow are trips to the Mojave I will be posting them there also.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines10.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines03.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines30.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 08-20-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OH, man that is so awsome...I love exploring and wheeling combined...its great..But is that slow wheeling, or fast desert running?...I'd totally be down for a trip out there like that at some point, but my truck isn't set up for high speed stuff...
Old 08-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
OH, man that is so awsome...I love exploring and wheeling combined...its great..But is that slow wheeling, or fast desert running?...I'd totally be down for a trip out there like that at some point, but my truck isn't set up for high speed stuff...
Mostly speeds around 30-40 mi and pretty smooth with sand washs that allow even stock trucks to fly in. Even though I've done the whole trial in less then 4 hours in desert prerunner truck the people I run with perfer to take there time at speeds a little faster then a jeep would go. The trial can be done and a 2X with some lift.
The 4X stuff we do is getting to the Mines that's where we leave the 2X's behind.
But even though it's a pretty flat trail it has sand washes, graded roads, whoopty's, and some slight off camber stuff it will challange you at times which is why I keep going back.
Photos show you what you can expect. Where headed back next weekend of the 28th.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines28.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines26.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines07.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 08-21-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this north of Joshua Tree and east of Twenty nine Palms in the old Dale distict? I'd be intestest in going next month(sept) if you guiys go back and my weekend is free. I've been to a few VERY good mines...and alot more that have been picked thru. There are a few just north(50 miles)of Baker that are the best I've been in.

CC
Old 08-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Wow, lucky you. I had just thought about mine exploration a couple of days ago. Have fun, and good luck! I'll be checking up on the pics.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Compass Creek
Is this north of Joshua Tree and east of Twenty nine Palms in the old Dale distict? I'd be intestest in going next month(sept) if you guiys go back and my weekend is free. I've been to a few VERY good mines...and alot more that have been picked thru. There are a few just north(50 miles)of Baker that are the best I've been in.

CC
Yeah, The Old Mojave Road runs right between 15 and 40 freeways in the Mojave Scenic Area, The Mines you've been in are those in Death Valley. We did alot of Mine Hunting there but most where closed up and some had a little trick to get in (like move a boulder outa the way to get by the cable netting). Death Valley has some great mines.

Everyone is welcome on these trips that where doing just let me know and I'll get you the info on where we will meet next.
here's pic's of last weeks trip.

NOTE: the flash on the camera makes it look like where standing at the entrance but where few hundred feet in.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-majvmines02.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines17.jpg   Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-mojvmines04.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 08-22-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:52 AM

In the first picture?!?!?!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

I want to go... me and a few buddies have 4x2's though. Can we still run with you?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 PM

I don't remember there being any "tricks" getting into any of the mines we had explored in the dale district. A couple(the Brooklyn and the Los Angeles) where pretty hard to get back to but definate worth the trouble. The most memorable group though is the War Eagle, Noonday and Colombia...but their not in the Dale district. Definately let me know when you guys are going again! I've got a boyscout outing next month but other then that I think my weekends are wide open.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Compass Creek
I don't remember there being any "tricks" getting into any of the mines we had explored in the dale district. A couple(the Brooklyn and the Los Angeles) where pretty hard to get back to but definate worth the trouble. The most memorable group though is the War Eagle, Noonday and Colombia...but their not in the Dale district. Definately let me know when you guys are going again! I've got a boyscout outing next month but other then that I think my weekends are wide open.
You will be invited for sure. Some of the Mines you listed are ones I've heard of and would like to visit. Have you been to the silver mines behind Calico Ghost Town, there huge but badly picked through.
Where headed out this weekend (27th 28th) and now there's talk about going out on labor day weekend and bringing are kids and motorhome and setting up a base camp. Most of the trips we do are point A to point B with alot of stops in-between to see the sights (mines).
Once I tried to locate the Columbia mine and ended up at State Line, I think I went to far, and do to a complaning wife (now X) I gave up.
Where is the Dale district ?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I want to go... me and a few buddies have 4x2's though. Can we still run with you?
Bring'em, most of the trucks that go are 2X with posi in the rear, and even peg-leggers (stock rear) have been know to make it without any trouble, But I wouldn't bring a mini van or stock 2X, having some good ground clearance helps.
Even though some of the trucks are fast with lots of travel they still follow me at slower speeds and it keeps them from beating there trucks up. After all most of these trips go 100 miles plus in the dirt so it's important to save it. But if you got an emergency it's nice to know they could FLY when needed.

Sticker link is cool, put my order in. Scott

Last edited by Scottz; 08-23-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:08 PM

Some Requirements

Even though must of you have been off roading and know what to bring, Here's some things you should have besides the will to explore.

1. Good Spare tire
2. Tow Strap
3. Basic tools
4. a Toyota
5. Rope
6. Shovel
7. Area Maps
8. Cel Phone
9. Gas to go 250 miles
10. Flash lights and batteries
11. Tent
12. Common Sence

Nice to have But not needed

1. Ham Radio or Race Radio (2 meter freq range 142.500 to 153.500) VHF
2. GPS
3. Extra gas (if you can't go 250 on stock tank (off road milage)
4. The need to be free from pavement and the City
Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 AM

When I getmy rig back, I'd be down, that's totally my kind of trip.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

I'll be going too... but not until like Nov/Dec or so when the baby is a little older.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 PM

I've been you a few of the mines in "Tin Can Alley" at Calico but not any of the others futher back. I've done some exploring in the Alvord mountains just down the road from Calico. There's a pretty cool turquois(?) mine out there but a lot of the turquois is brittle, not the real nice stuff. I think that area is part of Fort Irwin now. I remember the tank burms back in the wash and know it was supposed to be part of the expansion but there was some enviroment studies for the desert torts in the area. Dale district is east of 29 Palms off hwy 62. The "road" to turn off is called Gold Crown and starts off as a sandy wash. so unless you wabt to pay the $20 to get into the area thru the nation park it is 4x accessable only. Of course when we where exploring that area I hada 2wd S-10 and my buddy had a Ford F-250 he would just tow me back to our camp spot...like 7 miles lol. I went thru 2 bumper valances that summer! We'd set up camp and unload the ATV's and head for the hills. It's very easy access to nearly all the mines on tha ATV's but with trucks there would be just a little more walking, nothing to cry about though. My most favorite mine is in the Dale, called the Golden Egg. It's nothing special but it has the old buildings and a short(50' feet) tunnel and just the setting makes me think "old west". We spent alot of time eploring the Dale that year. There is alot more to see then most would think out in that dusty desert!

CC
Old 08-25-2005, 01:49 PM

OK, I got the low down on this weekends trip. as of now there is 9 people and 4 trucks.
We will be starting in Ludlow following the old rail road grade north into the desert. The first stop will be the Old Dominion mine and then from there will head to Vulcan mine where we will camp in the area and then Sunday onto the Nipton area and locate the Copper King mine and from there we will head south starting are way back thru the desert on the way we will stop at Death Valley Mine. Most driving will be done at night to cut down on the heat ans it should be about 210 miles off road. Good off road lights are a must....
Where meeting Sat. 27th before noon, everyone welcome. Private Message me for more info and Ph.# if you wish to go. Scott
Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Scott how far in do the mines go?
Are there any really deep(long) mines, or underwater streams etc?
Any cool artifacts etc?

I was obsessed with exploring abandoned mines during my short time out west. Wish I was out there for those trips.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I'll be going too... but not until like Nov/Dec or so when the baby is a little older.
We have some Good trips planed for Nov. That's a good time to go mine Hunting in Death Valley with the Temps being better. Congrats on the new Baby. Nothin like being a dad and taking the gang out exploring. A Pic of My Crew.
Attached Thumbnails Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.-micrew3.jpg  
Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Scott how far in do the mines go?
Are there any really deep(long) mines, or underwater streams etc?
Any cool artifacts etc?

I was obsessed with exploring abandoned mines during my short time out west. Wish I was out there for those trips.
Most mines only go in 100 feet or so, and every once in awhile you get lucky and find one that takes days to explore,The trips where doing now are to the bigger mines that pumped out tons of Iron Ore, Gold, Silver, and Talc. Before we leave I do alot of reseach on the area where headed and plot a course to the larger ones weeding out the time that might be wasted on the small ones.
We found to natural caves by Mitchell Caverns and as we started to desend into them about 80 feet they where filled with water. The winter here was brutal and there are still streams in the desert flowing in the middle of Aug. We expect to find some of the bigger mines to have water in the lower levels but I'm not the one to repel down any way. I do all my exploring on the main levels and save the rest for the extreme guy's.
We where going to check out the Colosseum Mine by Clark mountain but we heard it's filled with water so we will save it for onther time.
Artifacts are out there and you could spend hours looking around for them and not find a thing and then you stop for a 10-100 and theres an arrow head at your feet.

Last edited by Scottz; 08-25-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:59 PM

I'm definately out for this weekend. I've been gone and played the past five weekends and need to get some of my projects around the house done. lol

Scott's right too, probably 80% of the mines I've been to have been picked thru Starting with the rail and carts. Unless you are adventurious or crazy and go to the upper or lower levels(if there are any) your chances of finding "artifacts" increases. I've gone down from the main level only a couple times the first time we found TNT wrappers and half a box of crystalizing TNT sticks. It was a cool find but me a little edgy lol . That same mine we rode our ATVs in about a half a mile or a milenot sure but it was a looong way and park them at the incline and winch then did our exploring. I' can honestly say while at the time it waas cool to drive them in it was probably one of the stupidest things we had done.

The good ones are out there just takes time and lots of gas to find them lol.

CC

Quick Reply: Mine Hunting in the Mojave Desert, Ca.