Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Need opinions on frame rust situation of potential truck purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on frame rust situation of potential truck purchase

Need opinions on frame rust situation of potential truck purchase-image.jpg
- Hey guys I'm looking at a purchasing a truck and have a situation that I would appreciate some help with, I am six hours away from this potential truck and have received pictures of the frame of it, and would like to know what anyone would think has been done with this frame,
- it looks like it has been maybe halfassed repaired in the past but can't tell, the guy barely speaks English so it is hard to understand much if what he says so that is why it is so much trouble, but the truck is everything I have been searching for and I've been on the search for quite awhile, there is no other rust on the truck besides the frame and not much rust on the frame besides this spot which is why it has me confused,
- so what do you guys think has been done and do ya'll think it worth saving, or should I spend another six months looking for another?
-It is a 89 extracab manual 22re with around 200k on truck and around 20-30k on motor, rust free like I said besides the spot on the frame and and numerous dings and whatnot but a relatively clean truck for and untouched 24 yr old truck, can probly pick it up for around 2800-3000k.
- Now I'm in the Midwest so before ya say just look for another, a extra cab that isn't rotted to the door handles for under 4500-5k doesn't come around too often around here so keep that in mind, just wondering if it worth the six hours to go look at it if the frame gonna need extensive work. Thanks, Chris

Last edited by dropzone; 02-24-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: edited for Clarity
Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM

Need opinions on frame rust situation of potential truck purchase-image.jpg Another angle
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Th bump stop has likely been cut off and shortened. The spring hanger has definatly been rewelded. Nothing appears to have ever been done about the rust just covered it up and kept on trucking..

Please use proper sentances and paragraphs when coresponding. It's hard to read and even harder to follow when you type out half a page and only use three sentances.

I just mostly guessed at your question(s), not sure I got em all. Try again if I missed anything
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is a hard call to make looks pretty normal for that area of the frame.

Thing is without doing the screw driver test in person you never know just what your getting into. Fix one area in a few months your doing another spot.

Are you able to fix these areas yourself?? That is the question.

Paying to have it fixed would be quite expensive

With the dollar dropping the prices keep going up!

I would not pay that much . But I have to many now.

How do you know the engine has such low mileage?? Maybe that was when another used engine was installed.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
** i edited your first post to make it a little bit easier to understand.

the passsenger side front spring mount looks like it is about to pull away from the frame. and the bed mount looks fubar
If you have the means to get it fixed and can get the truck cheap by all means fix it if you are confident that you can do it.
Saving $2k is worth driving 6 hours if it is in your price range. With out additional info like an ad and more pictures it is really hard to say..you are the one that needs to make the decision. Worst case you are out some time and $150 in gas, best case you save a butt load of cash and get a good truck cheap.
I would order a new front hanger http://www.trail-gear.com/rear-spring-hangers
and plate the frame in the area if the frame integrity is questionable.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 AM

Thanks guys, I am capable of a light repair if I just needs a small section plated and then just preventative action on the rest of it, but that's kinda what I'm worried about, how small of a little spot it is because the gas tank is in the way and can't get a picture past that plate that was welded in. The guy told me he had the motor rebuilt about a year and a half ago by a american friend of his, so the motor mileage was a guess, like I said I can barely understand him but he seems pretty truthfull. I think before I make a decision on going or not I'm gonna see if he's got the phone # of the guy that rebuilt it and ask what exactly was rebuilt, and maybe he can even tell me a little more about the truck. Looking at the pictures I think you can tell that there is definetly frame missing in spots underneath the plate that was buger welded in. It is the same spot the bottom of the frame is pretty much gone on my 93 2wd. I kinda need a truck relatively quickly, along with driving that far to see it and I just don't want that to cloud my judgement, on whether or not to buy it. The guy said his bottom dollar is 3300 when I asked but he said he needs the money so I'm hoping cash persuades him. So it sounds like most think its not really worth $2800, but I guess it just kinda depends the extent of the frame repair required, but I doubt he is gonna go any lower than that regardless of what I say about the frame. Just kinda what I got the feeling of after talking to him.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Here check out my frame repair write up and have a look at what you may have in store. (Be sure to read the whole thread)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-pics-228184/

If you are capable of doing this, you can fix anything. If not, I know extended cabs are few and far between, but headaches last forever.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Wow is all I can say about your build! Awesome work, I should have done that with my 98 Tacoma that the frame was junk on instead of selling it way too cheap!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 AM

Ok guys, I have another truck I found, anybody know anything about the turbo trucks? It's a 88 ext cab with the turbo 22re that is really clean, no rust and the guy said the truck was redone three years ago. Not sure if that includes the motor or not. Anybody know if the turbo motors were as reliable as the n/a trucks? Are they harder to get parts for or do they use most of the same parts except for obviously turbo specific parts? Posting this on here because it won't let me start a new thread in classified yet, yhanjs
Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 PM

Haha you are right, cjyota. Anything yota not rotted through in the Midwest is hard to find at a decent price. I'm in the Chicagoland area and I'm having trouble finding a nice 1st gen 4runner. Patience, I am told, is the key...