Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

First-time prospective buyer of '85 4runner...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First-time prospective buyer of '85 4runner...

Hey all,

I've been looking for the right 1st gen 4runner to purchase for the last few weeks. I'll be a first-time owner. I've been wanting a runner for a while now and the time has come! So, I mainly know what I've researched, not firsthand. My preference is an '85, but I've been looking for any year 1st gens. I've come across an '85 that seems to be pretty good, but it needs brakes and a fuel gauge. The owner says that's the only work he knows that needs to be done. I'm really looking for advice here. Would this appear to be a good buy if you were looking for yourself and is the price reasonable? I have no idea what I'm looking at in the cost of brakes and a fuel gauge and I'm not a mechanic. Plus, it's a little above the price range I wanted to stay in (3-4k). It would be a road trip to get it, too. I'm in the Chicagoland area and this runner is about 12 hours away. Any experienced opinions would be great! The post is expired or I would just link to it, so instead here's the owner's post:
Asking $5000
1985 Toyota 4Runner
4 Cylinder 22RE
5 Speed Manual Transmission
4x4
Solid front axle
158798 miles

I've had this truck for the last year and have driven it from NC to ID and back as well as around the east coast. There are a few receipts with the vehicle but maintenance hasn't been documented. I have put 15k miles on the vehicle since purchased in Feb of last year. The Lift and Bumpers were done by the Toyota factory back in the day. Top seals well and does not leak, rear window works. All carpet has been removed and inside has been bed lined. There is a marine stereo and marine speakers as well. Please contact with any questions or for more pictures. I will entertain all offers.
I contacted him and asked him what mechanical condition it's in, the frame's condition, work needing to be done, the tires, if the 4WD works and why he's selling. Reply follows:
Vehicle is mechanically sound. New brakes are the top priority and the fuel gauge doesnt work. I recently put in a new 17 gallon fuel tank, distributor, and tie rod end links on the front. Timing chain was replaced around 150k, there is a new radiator as well which was installed by the previous owner. 4WD works great, both hubs lock and it will go anywhere is 4lo. I removed all of the carpet last spring and put a bed linner on the inside. I found a few small rust holes in the floor which I patched. There is one remaining which was slightly larger, 3 in in diameter behind the driver seat which I did not patch. The frame is rust free and there is no other rust on the body. The bumpers, wheels, and lift were factory installed in '86. All the tires are in good shape, but not a matching set. I am selling because I needed a more comfortable vehicle for cross country travel. I drove this 4runner to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and back last summer. I have begun my summer travels and the vehicle is parked at my mothers house. This was my daily driver last year. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks for the interest. I need to sell soon.
I'm mainly worried about the cost for upfront work needed, the undocumented maintenance, why he's selling it so soon and if the price is high. Should I go for it, any idea on these repair costs or should I ask more specific questions? Please give me some advice here guys! It'll be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails First-time prospective buyer of '85 4runner...-3e33g43le5i25kc5m8d3g905d93a043d91df8.jpg   First-time prospective buyer of '85 4runner...-3e53fd3mb5n45g15m7d3ge96def1385da1ce3.jpg   First-time prospective buyer of '85 4runner...-3gd3i43fd5e65k75fcd3gcca487ad5ab71cab.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Looks to be a little rough for 5 grand 3500 I could see, maybe.

Mismatching tires, says bumpers from 86? Just another "I have an 85 with the solid front axle and I think it's gold kinda sale",I'm gonna say 5k is wayyyyy to high but that's just my opinion I'm sure someone else will chime in here good luck with whatever you decide
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM

5k? Not even close.. Even for an east coast truck, 5k is a little steep. Especially for a 12 hour drive. I'm sure you could find much better given a little time and patience!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I'd pay a dime over 3,500 for it... That's just MY opinion, but then again these old Toyotas seem to be going up in value recently (according to CL).
Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 PM

This was on sale here for 6ish a while back so if that tells you how far he is away for 5k
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Awesome fast replies, thanks.

Yeah, so you're kind of confirming my thoughts. I thought 3500 maybe 4000, but I figure that he would just see that as lowballing considering his asking.

Ha, patience. Yeah. That's what I'm working on. It seems there's not too many good ones too often, especially '85s. Discombobulated, you are right on, everyone selling one seems to think its gold and I've seen ones that have said nearly that. This price may seem a little inflated, but I've also been seeing ones that are really eaten up or in need of serious repair asking close to this. I see a lot of "rare find", "best 4runner I've seen" sort of stuff.

I suppose maybe I should wait it out a little longer... Tough though! Spring is making it even tougher.

Feel free to throw in any other advice you think might be helpful for a first-timer.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM

I'm one that can't wait but I also didn't have 6k lying around or I would have made a trip for that one

Try to wait anyway, now that you are looking more it might fall in your lap sooner than you think post pics when you get one
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM

i dont know man...you can find these all over california any day of the week and they really aren't that special here but in illinois? i wouldn't know.. all i can say is wait and find the best one you can afford with the $$$ you got
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 AM

You may have to make a drive for a good truck.. I drove down to jasper Alabama from Memphis to pick my truck up

And the thing about Craigslist is that people will "fish" for suckers in the market whether they say it or not.. There was an 85 xtra cab EFI for sale forever here locally. He wanted 6k for it and I bluntly offered 3k considering the condition it was in. He declined my offer, of course. However, he didn't sell it until a couple months ago, about 2 years later, AT 3k!

Some guys post up trucks looking for a sucker and some are true boneheads thinking their truck is worth so much.. You gotta keep looking.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Over time someone probably will pay the 5 k for that runner. I wouldnt. I recently looked on craigslist in Cali and there were tons of toyotas for sale, it was unbelievable. I live in texas, you could see two or three on here monthly. Prices do vary, depends on what you want. I wanted a solid axle, but im fine with my 89 runner. If your gonna do extreme offroad ok, then look for that 85. If not then you could save by getting any other year to 89. That black one was for sale for like 8k at first, then it went down to 6700. He probably sold it for less than that. That was an awsome looking truck too. Even then I think I read that it still had some issues, like burning oil. Id hold off, look somewhere else and dont forget to add shipping costs. Most these people need money, thats why they sell.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 AM

I got my 85 for 1700 in pretty rough shape, but fixable with a solid frame and not too much body rust. 5k is honestly a bit high for that. Tell him you could get an 86-89 one in good condition for like 3k then sas it for another 1500 and have a way nicer truck than that. Also another place to look for these would be Colorado, there are a lot of them on Denver CL compared to here in KS.

These guys are right about the people selling these though. They're either looking for a sucker that doesn't know much besides (it's one o dem old toyoters) or think that because they have a very wanted vehicle that it's worth more than it is.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM

I went to Phoenix to get mine (600 mile trip) and paid $4800. It is a 87 SR5, but completely stock and original paint, mint interior. I'd say the truck you listed is high. The solid axle is worth nothing more in reality. Here is the logic: If you love the look and are staying close to stock, (minor lift, lockers, 33's) there is not much performance advantage. Toyota went to IFS for a reason. If you plan building a hardcore crawler, why do you care what year is is? You won't keep anything but the $300 front axle off the 85 anyway. All the rest would be aftermarket or fabricated. Just my point of view, but I think most prospective buyers are brainwashed into thinking the have to have a solid axle. I know I was. When I realized that a solid axle as clean as my 87 would be $10k, I changed my search.Name:  pics004_zps727b90d2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Man, you guys are giving me a lot to think about here. I know it's definitely not worth the 5k. It might not even be worth it at a lower price. I'm not sure. Thinking about just throwing 3500 out there, but now I'm not even sure I should do that!

Like smracing, I was starting to think I wanted an '85 solid axle. I won't be doing major crawling, but I'd like it to handle well on easy trails. Plus from what I've read, the live axle is more cost and maintenance efficient. Would you all generally say that's true? Not trying to start a solid axle vs. IFS, mine is better than yours argument here.

Good point about SASing an '86-'89 and having a nicer one, Logan81Pickup. I would definitely go for that. Although, I'd rather one already done than getting it done myself. I'm sure it would be on the to do list for too long.

This is all complicated further by the fact that the Midwest seems completely barren of 1st gens. I know there are tons in cali, but that's just not doable for me. I'm even up for a 12 hour weekend drive for the right one, but just can't fit anything further than that into my schedule.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by smracing
I went to Phoenix to get mine (600 mile trip) and paid $4800. It is a 87 SR5, but completely stock and original paint, mint interior. I'd say the truck you listed is high. The solid axle is worth nothing more in reality. Here is the logic: If you love the look and are staying close to stock, (minor lift, lockers, 33's) there is not much performance advantage. Toyota went to IFS for a reason. If you plan building a hardcore crawler, why do you care what year is is? You won't keep anything but the $300 front axle off the 85 anyway. All the rest would be aftermarket or fabricated. Just my point of view, but I think most prospective buyers are brainwashed into thinking the have to have a solid axle. I know I was. When I realized that a solid axle as clean as my 87 would be $10k, I changed my search.
Nice find and really good points.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I used to drive to Chicago and it was about a 12 hour drive. We had a black 85 SR5 in better condition in my area a while back for half of that. They will pop up if you wait. In the mean time learn all you can about these runners and know what to look for. Check the rear part of the frames out especially.

If you are absolutely sure you are getting a runner, start checking ebay for a Factory Service Manual, you can get good deals on them, I paid $25 for mine, and I would get a Haynes as well.

The IFS trucks are just as nice and that will open up alot more trucks to you. Just depends on your patience. There have been several newbies that have never worked on a car at anytime in their lives and have learned alot on here and people are willing to help you out when you get in a bind. A postive attitude and you will be surprised at what you will be doing to one.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by gryphyn
Man, you guys are giving me a lot to think about here. I know it's definitely not worth the 5k. It might not even be worth it at a lower price. I'm not sure. Thinking about just throwing 3500 out there, but now I'm not even sure I should do that!

Like smracing, I was starting to think I wanted an '85 solid axle. I won't be doing major crawling, but I'd like it to handle well on easy trails. Plus from what I've read, the live axle is more cost and maintenance efficient. Would you all generally say that's true? Not trying to start a solid axle vs. IFS, mine is better than yours argument here.

Good point about SASing an '86-'89 and having a nicer one, Logan81Pickup. I would definitely go for that. Although, I'd rather one already done than getting it done myself. I'm sure it would be on the to do list for too long.

This is all complicated further by the fact that the Midwest seems completely barren of 1st gens. I know there are tons in cali, but that's just not doable for me. I'm even up for a 12 hour weekend drive for the right one, but just can't fit anything further than that into my schedule.
The live axle is more cost an maintenance efficient IF you have a lifted truck and wheel it. In stock form the IFS is plenty strong for what it's capable of (read, not much). The problem with it is it just doesn't flex all that much. I don't know about in IL but is KS I've seen 1st gens pop up on CL 3 times since I've been into Toyotas (for about a year). 2 of them were pretty rough, and there was 1 all original one in KC for like 5 grand which seems to be about the going rate for a clean stock solid axle 4runner, at least around here.

In reality I would maybe pay up to 4500 for the one you posted IF I got to drive it and really liked it. But the actual value of it is probably in the 3.5-4k range. If you want one of these though you kinda have to pay the price for one around here at least because good ones don't pop up all too often.

Last edited by Logan81Pickup; 05-03-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was looking for a Runner for my wife, she wanted "convertible", so 1st gen it was. I found several in the Georgia CL with blown 3.0s in the 1500 range. I waited a little longer and found a completely rust free, all original '89 Runner with a blown 3.0, but rest of drivetrain appears in great shape. Ended up paying $900 and dragging it home. 3.4 swap will cost me about $2500, so I'll be into around $3400.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

I got my 85 for $5000 and it was totally loaded. I spent 3 months (2-3 hours a day) scouring Craigslist, eBay and Auto Trader looking for mine. I ended up flying from Cali into Montana to drive mine back. I ran into some issues, but some could've been avoided if I checked fluid levels before I rolled back home.

You can read all about it here in my "build" thread

Point is, this rig is way too expensive. What I did was make an Excel spreadsheet and list EVERYTHING that I could and would do to the truck when I bought it. Then researched prices. When you find a rig you like, check off what it has already installed against what it needs. Then you weigh the options it has against ones you can wait on. When you find one that tips the scales in your favor and it's one you like... then you jump on it and hope the owner accepts your offer.

Also regarding the FSM on eBay... don't buy that stuff. You can find them online in PDF format for free. If you have trouble finding one, let me know. I'll send you a link to mine. The Haynes and Chilton you'd have to buy... I found them on eBay in pairs and scored both (used) for $8 shipped. I find them pretty much useless compared to the FSM though.

Good luck with your buy!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Price way to high for that. Dirty interior, mismatched tires, etc... Definitely dont offer more than 3500.

I know they are hard t o find clean. I used to live in chicago as well, and always had to drive to find a nice one.

I actually traded for my runner that I have now. And the guy was asking 3400 for it at the time. Its an 85 sr5 with lift, tires, lockers, etc... and I would have only offered him 3000 for it if we didnt trade. Keep an eye out for stuff here in Iowa. There tends to be a few nice ones pop up here and there.

Definitely agree that these people with the 85's think that they are gold!!

Hey Ill tell you what, Ill sell you mine for 4500. Has a "small" oil leak from the front axle, and a "few" love taps on the drivers front fender and door. haha But its a SOLID AXLE installed by the factory. haha

Good luck with what ever you do. Ill keep my eyes open for something for you.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I got my 85 for $5000 and it was totally loaded. I spent 3 months (2-3 hours a day) scouring Craigslist, eBay and Auto Trader looking for mine. I ended up flying from Cali into Montana to drive mine back. I ran into some issues, but some could've been avoided if I checked fluid levels before I rolled back home.

You can read all about it here in my "build" thread

Point is, this rig is way too expensive. What I did was make an Excel spreadsheet and list EVERYTHING that I could and would do to the truck when I bought it. Then researched prices. When you find a rig you like, check off what it has already installed against what it needs. Then you weigh the options it has against ones you can wait on. When you find one that tips the scales in your favor and it's one you like... then you jump on it and hope the owner accepts your offer.

Also regarding the FSM on eBay... don't buy that stuff. You can find them online in PDF format for free. If you have trouble finding one, let me know. I'll send you a link to mine. The Haynes and Chilton you'd have to buy... I found them on eBay in pairs and scored both (used) for $8 shipped. I find them pretty much useless compared to the FSM though.

Good luck with your buy!
You're totally right about waiting for the right one. It seems, the more I look the more my list of "wants" is growing and my list of possible runners is dwindling! Nah, it's true but I'm honestly open to the right one even if doesn't have everything I think I want.

I did already find a FSM for free, like you said (thanks to others for the suggestion though), but thanks for the offer to help find one. I haven't looked into the Chilton and Haynes yet though. You're saying its not worth it. I haven't really seen too many other opinions on it yet.

I'll tell ya what though, I've learned a lot I didn't know already just from starting this (sometimes) crazy hunt. So, it's for the good so far!

Nice buy and build btw. I imagine I'll encounter some crazy road trip mishaps when I do find and drive my future runner home... Although I'd be happy to do without any.

Hey Gizler00, I forgot but "Holy Grail" is actually the term I keep seeing for 85s. Apparently, I'm now following in the footsteps of Indiana Jones.

Finding 4runners here is even slower going. I keep seeing decent ones for cheap
out west, but that's just too far for me. Thanks for offering to let me know if you see any!

Cheers

Oh yeah guys, I forgot to mention, this runner is totally out of the running. I replied back saying I wouldn't offer anything over 3500 in the stated condition. He came back and said that was fair, and he realized it wasn't worth the 5k anyway. He also said he forgot to mention the check engine light comes on at 15mph and its because of a leak before the cat. He said he would accept another offer if I wanted. So I asked a list of questions I have about a runner I have a serious interest, along with asking about how he knows the CEL was for what he said. I asked if he had the code, if he ran it himself or what, etc. I also told him how long of a drive i was looking at to get it. I guess I asked too many questions because he replied that "its probably in rougher shape than you are interested", along with a list of things that would need to be replaced soon!

Hey, at least he was honest! That's about all I can say...

Last edited by dropzone; 05-10-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply: First-time prospective buyer of '85 4runner...