Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Carmax or Private Party Sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmax or Private Party Sale

I'm trying to sell my 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 and debating whether to go with Carmax or sell it own my own. I know some of the pros and cons and I'd like to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends if you like $ or not. Were u live. I'll buy it from you for what carmax will pay u
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drkblu4runner
Depends if you like $ or not. Were u live. I'll buy it from you for what carmax will pay u
What he said, list it for the price carmax will give you for it and someone will snatch it up in a hurry. It will also go directly to someone that wants it instead of bouncing around from the dealer to an auction then to another dealer and then who knows where before being sold for a massive markup so everyone makes there cut.

You can get more money selling it yourself as well, a lot more in some cases.

Selling a car yourself is really not hard at all, I have sold a few dozen in my time and bought more ALL from privet parties.

Just go online to your states DMV and they should have a rundown on how to sell the car. Get all the paperwork together and have your side pre-filled out but not dated or signed to make things quicker.

When you sell it be sure to sign and date the title and any other papers you may need in your state. Also get a copy/picture of the buyers drivers license for your own insurance.

After it sells there is usually a place online that you can fill out a form saying that you sold the car and input the new owners info (from the drivers license).

For the price that your truck should sell for, I would say cash only, that kind of cash is not hard to pull out and makes things much simpler. Anything under $10k I generally only accept cash.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM

Private party as others have said. Because of its age, Carmax cannot sell it on their lot so they will auction it.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 AM

Yeah even I have heard same that this time Carmax is going for the Auction.