Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Buying Used Runner: How to tell if codes cleared?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Used Runner: How to tell if codes cleared?

Hey all,
So at the ripe ole' age of 30, I am buying my first used vehicle from a used dealer. Up until now I was a private party, cash for older vehicle that needed some TLC. As I love working on cars, not a problem.

That said. I am looking for a higher priced vehicle than in my past. I intend to do as much due diligence as is possible. Pre-inspection by a certified toyota mechanic and body shop.

So, my question. How can I tell if the ECU codes have been cleared? I have 3 possible runners I am looking at 2004-2006 range. One of them was in an accident early in its life. Around 10k miles and now has 98k and "appears" to be running strong. It has a good price (not TOO low, but not stellership high). So, it is in the running. I would hate to disqualify it for a fender bender. Before I rule it out, I want to give it a good inspection by me and trained professionals at my local toyota shop.

They have a full service body shop and I have personally talked to the head mechanic. If it had serious body damage, they will find it.

Now. The only thing left. Checking for thrown codes. I know (as I have done it) that you can pull a battery or reset the ECU to clear out codes. I called the dealership and the only way to tell if the codes have been reset is to try to do emissions testing, as before X miles (80-150) the emissions systems will not be "test ready"...

But. They will have to do an frissons test, which requires them to tell the state (VA), charge me extra money. I live in D.C., where I will be titling it and will have to do emissions here. So, if I can avoid two.. I would like to.

Does anyone know of anyway to tell if the dealership has pulled the battery recently??? I want to know, bc, the only reason to reset the ECU codes is if you were trying to hide something. Or replace the battery. Sure. But I want to know.

Thanks!