FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Cruiser with Triple Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is really cool, the pics explain it well.

This project is some of the neatest newest tech I have ever seen, well done!

How angry is the computer?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
That is really cool, the pics explain it well.

This project is some of the neatest newest tech I have ever seen, well done!

How angry is the computer?
Thanks! The computer isn't angry. I spent a lot of time with the FSM and wiring diagram to make sure that nothing would upset the computer. In reality it was pretty simple. Normally the 4WD position indicator on the passenger side of the stock tcase sends a signal to the ADD diff, then to the 4WD ECU, 4x4 light in the dash and to the ECM. I wired up a switch to activate the ADD diff. The one thing that I must do it make sure I'm not rolling when I flip the ADD switch (kind of like locking manual hubs if you will). The other thing I ask Inchworm to do is machine an extra hole in the reduction box so that I could install another transfer indicator switch. They also machined a notch in the shift rail so that the ball on the switch would drop into the notch and trigger the indicator switch when the lever is shifter into 4L in the crawler box. The tcase had enough indicator switches. The 4L indicator switch on the reduction box and the tcase are wired together, so no matter what LOW gear I run the computer thinks I'm in LOW and allows me to use the ATRAC and rear locker. So I can run the 2.28 or the 5.0 or both together and the computer knows that I'm in LOW in all cases. The other bonus is that I now have all those gears in 2WD and I can run the rear locker even if I'm not in 4WD.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
How on earth did you get three t-case shifters in that location with standard linkage.

Jim means on the short throw, the top of that rear case should be WAY back, so it must need a limited throw to not collide with everything else.

Help me with your diff gears, I am not up on FJ stuff.

Don't forget a nominal factor of 2 for TC lock up. I have 5.29's, auto and dual cases, final drive is almost 330.
Sounds like you went with 4.7's or the 5.0's in both cases, what axles are you running? Reason I ask is for strenght. I am down to 223 to 1 with the front case running 2.28, thought about going to 4.7 but don't want to start breaking parts.

As it is now I can go to low low 1st gear and put the front against a building without stalling the engine. The tires just rotate every second or so and keep on turning with the motor running 800 RPM.

sbechtold

Soryy for the highjack too, I had to show my wife your set up. She too has the Titanium FJ, all stock for now (2 months old) but I showed her that she too can keep up with our 85 4Runner. She just laughed unless it is the sand dunes the FJ will see little off road terrain, maybe a number 2 trail in Moab or CO but nothing more

Can't wait to see what you do next.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this is very very cool...I'm excited to hear more about it.

Great work, and very nice FJ
Old 02-04-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a stock case at 2.28, a 4.7 case, an auto and 5.29 diff gears. I was adding the nominal factor of 2 for torqure convertor. With both cases in low and the tranny in low, neither the gas nor the brakes really do anything. I rarely use it other than a party trick. On the trail, I grab neutral to stop.

Most of my wheeling is done with the 4.7 case. Really a lot more control.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:02 AM

I see, I was wondering how you came up with those numbers. I mostly use 4.7 too but everyonce in a while I ccccrrrraaaaawwwwlllllll over something like it is nothing and come of the back with no banging of the rear.