93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Question on transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on transmission fluid

I am about to flush the transmission in my T100 4x4. I would like to go with synthetic but really don't want to spend the money. (14-20 quarts at $6 a quart!!) I am thinking about going with a standard type Dexron III. I was thinking about flushing with the Walmart brand and then adding 3 or so quarts of Mobil 1 to finish topping off.

I read somewhere that the Walmart brand(SuperTech) was a name brand bottled for them and a LOT cheaper. Is this true or did I get bum scoop??

I agree that synthetic is better...I run synthetic in my engine. But for the large amount needed and the fact that I change the fluid regularly makes me lean toward the SuperTech.

Ok. Anyone feel free to talk me out of it. And I would like to hear anything negative(or positive) about SuperTech stuff.

Thanks.

I tried a search but didn't come up with much about SuperTech and regular fluids. A lot about synthetic though!!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM

If you go down a few threads you will find some good info on ATF fluid. You will need about 16 quarts to flush typically. And if synthetic is $2 more than the dexron then you have to ask your self. Is another $32 gonna kill you? And is the extra $32 gonna be worth it when you can drive an extra year or so on the fluid?

Just a thought... Im saving right now to get the Amsoil or Redline ATF. Figure do it once and have the enjoyment of knowing that it was done right.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM

I appreciate the input. I would rather run a cheaper cost fluid and change yearly. I know that Amsoil products are great but don't like their extended change intervals. Just my opinion.

The SuperTech brand is much cheaper than the $2 a quart difference. It's about $6 a gallon vs $6 a quart for Mobil 1.

I'm not disagreeing that the synthetic is not better. It is!! But I have other things to spend money on and really don't want to invest so much for a fluid change.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
O'Relly has the Mobil 1 ATF for $4.99/qt if that makes a difference. I just bought 20 qts last week. If you don't run synthetic I'd recommend a cooler for sure, unless you plan on selling the vehicle soon.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by toyotadriver
I appreciate the input. I would rather run a cheaper cost fluid and change yearly. I know that Amsoil products are great but don't like their extended change intervals. Just my opinion.

The SuperTech brand is much cheaper than the $2 a quart difference. It's about $6 a gallon vs $6 a quart for Mobil 1.

I'm not disagreeing that the synthetic is not better. It is!! But I have other things to spend money on and really don't want to invest so much for a fluid change.
Read the label on the super tech.

I doubt seriously it has true genuine DEXRON and MERCON approvals. If it does, it will have a genuine license number on the label or inkjetted onto the bottle.

Wll mart will drive the price into the ground for potential suppliers so do not expect a lot of R&D, spproval programs or expensive fluids under a Wall Mart brand.

Whille it is true that a major company may blend the fluid, it is NOT the same as the branded fluid.

Your choice but as I work in the oil Industry I can tell you, oil is the biggest bargain in auto's right now as no matter how much it costs to develop. produce or make to a consistent quality, competitive pressure means it is still waay undepriced, for the most part.

David