93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

is my clutch going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is my clutch going out?

Sorry if this is a re-post, but I couldn't find much searching.
I have a
96'
T-100
5 speed
4x4
I dont know if my clutch is going out, or if its not correctly aligned or somthing? 1st gear in my truck has been noticably weak lately. This has mainly been happening when coming off stop lights, starting the truck up a hill, ect. Secondly I can, at times, smell somthing crisp, like my clutch is burning. Im not being hard on the truck, just daily driving. Third, I can tell that the travel of the engagement of the clutch has been shortened slightly. If the clutch is going out, how expensive of a part is it to fix?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM

First off I'd check your clutch fluid. If that seems to have a decent level and clearish color then I would lean towards the clutch going out. From the looks of it your looking at $2-300 for a clutch kit plus installation.

I actually live about 40 mins from you and run a small part-time shop. If you want me to quote labor shoot me a message.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM

I appreciate the reply!
Let me do a little more investigation and ill get back to you. Where are you located?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 PM

A quick test I use to get a general idea at work is to put it in the highest gear and kinda try to take off. A good strong clutch will stall the motor quickly, while a weak one will slip and slowly drag the motor down.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Okay thanks! Ill try that tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also,if it slips in third gear when you give it gas...its going!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by cman1
also,if it slips in third gear when you give it gas...its going!!!
Yup. All you really have to do is pick a high gear, usually third, fourth or fifth. Any one of those would make a bad clutch slip, and a good clutch stall.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM

I tested your suggestions today. Put the truck in 5th, gave it some gas, and let off the clutch like i normally would. The truck lerched forward then died. Im guessing this is a good sign?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Sounds like a good clutch to me.

BTW, I'm in Nevada, IA. Just east of Ames.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Okay awesome ill keep you in mind for future repairs. You don't fix rust by any chance...do you?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't fix rust, you just grind it off, paint it, and see how long it takes for it to come back. Once its there...its not going away.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
you don't fix rust, you just grind it off, paint it, and see how long it takes for it to come back. Once its there...its not going away.
Ya, this is somewhat correct. You can cut it out and replace too but neither my partner or I are that great with body work yet. But we are slowly improving...
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Okay. Well thanks for being honest lol. My T has small lines of rust above the wheel wells that are bothering me. I think ill just mirical paint it, then slap on some Bush wackers
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not a rust expert.... Been really blessed to have nothing but 'no rust' vehicles, being in L.A.(I know, I pay in many other ways! hahaha)..... My point in bringing it up is, that I've had many buddy's on the East Coast/Rust Belt tell me that they've had INCREDIBLE results using POR15(???) I think the '15' part is wrong... but someone will correct me, NO DOUBT! lol. I know it's more expensive, but I've heard that it's one of the best/if not THE best things in combating the 'further progression of existing rust'(depending on severity that is)....

Even I have some rust under my chrome trim over the wheel wells.... I plan to attack it further, some day, but for now, I've cleaned up what I could, Rustoleum in there as much as possible, then JB Kwik Welded in some plate/tapped the plate and then hex-head screw'd the trim back on(I found it while someone backed into me in a parking lot then took off before I could reciprocate! hehehe... jk.... mostly, lol)

So, .......your clutch appears/sounds to be ok...... But YOU ARE having slippage..... any further investigative findings? Flywheel wear? Need to adjust your clutch freeplay assembly? When my slave went out, it just basically locked up/locking into 1st Gear and almost dragged me into an intersection.... Even with 180K on the clutch, it still worked fine. Have you checked to see if you've got any seepage from the bell housing/possibly a leak of fluid(oil or input shaft seal leak) onto the flywheel/disc?????
Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the awesome response!!!
I do know that my slave travel is a little more than normal. This is what the Toyota mechanic told me when i had the clutch pedal bracket replaced about a year ago.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Not a rust expert.... Been really blessed to have nothing but 'no rust' vehicles, being in L.A.(I know, I pay in many other ways! hahaha)..... My point in bringing it up is, that I've had many buddy's on the East Coast/Rust Belt tell me that they've had INCREDIBLE results using POR15(???) I think the '15' part is wrong... but someone will correct me, NO DOUBT! lol. I know it's more expensive, but I've heard that it's one of the best/if not THE best things in combating the 'further progression of existing rust'(depending on severity that is)....

Even I have some rust under my chrome trim over the wheel wells.... I plan to attack it further, some day, but for now, I've cleaned up what I could, Rustoleum in there as much as possible, then JB Kwik Welded in some plate/tapped the plate and then hex-head screw'd the trim back on(I found it while someone backed into me in a parking lot then took off before I could reciprocate! hehehe... jk.... mostly, lol)

Yes, POR15 is correct. This is supposedly some amazing stuff. I have only used it a couple of times but have not had the cars long enough to see any results. I just put a coat on my Jetta Coupe so we will see if it holds up. There is some prep work to getting the POR15 to set nicely. And a slight bit of surface rust is perfect, but scaley is not good.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by VWToy
Yes, POR15 is correct. This is supposedly some amazing stuff. I have only used it a couple of times but have not had the cars long enough to see any results. I just put a coat on my Jetta Coupe so we will see if it holds up. There is some prep work to getting the POR15 to set nicely. And a slight bit of surface rust is perfect, but scaley is not good.

Yeah, I've seen MANY people on here, swearing by it... denouncing, as well, many of it's competitors.... So I guess there's something to it. I would NEVER take for granted that I have had almost no issues with rust due to my location... I guess I just can't speak as to what's best when dealing with rust/how to deal with it(other than the basic tid bit I've dealt with using PB Blaster and the other I can't remember right now.... ).... But I've found a mechanics trade tool, BRAKE FLUID, works wonders on breaking things free that would not budge! Old 02 sensor frozen in there... exhaust bolts, etc. Of course, it has to be used CAUTIOUSLY, ....it eats paint, blinds people, you know, that stuff, lol... But IT WORKS!

Good posting, VW Toy Thanks for the insightful info
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM

PS> VWtoy........ You sporting a 1.9TD VW in your rig??? Just curious on the profile ID name, lol.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> VWtoy........ You sporting a 1.9TD VW in your rig??? Just curious on the profile ID name, lol.
I wish! Until the bigger TDI's come to the US my Toy will still have a Toy heart. The VW part comes from my love for VW's though. I've had like 12+ of them, currently have 5? in my stable.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by VWToy
I wish! Until the bigger TDI's come to the US my Toy will still have a Toy heart. The VW part comes from my love for VW's though. I've had like 12+ of them, currently have 5? in my stable.

................... I'd LOVE to have another one.... Had a 21 Window Micro Bus back in the day......... Saw a 2012 Turbo Beetle Convertable ALL built up..... Didn't look so silly the way the lady had it...and black on black all throughout, ... LOUD exhaust, slammed... it was DEFINITELY something that has been to the tune shop, ya know what I mean? lol..........

Ok........ HIGHJACK OVER! (although............not sure if the OP will be back....... on ocassion, ..................they disappear and are NEVER SEEN FROM AGAINNNNNNNNN!

HAHAHA. jk............ Hope to see more from ya, OP! Shout out for if it's needed......... I'm sure one of us will be able to help with whatever you run across, ..............maybe, ..........probably... Just shoot it out there, yeah? lol.