General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring PIAA Fog and Driving Lights - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring PIAA Fog and Driving Lights - Please Help!

I recently installed some PIAA fog and driving lights on my 2000 4Runner. I had them both working properly using the ACC fuse to power the switch. This meant that whenever the key was on ACC or the car was running, both sets of lights were active and could be turned on. This was great but is not the behavior I desire. I would like both to be active (switch has power) only when the headlights are on, but for both low and high beams. This way I can leave the fog lights in the "on" position, and they will be on when I turn my headlights on but off when the headlights are off. Also, I would like the option of having both sets of lights on whether on low or high beam. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Side note: I have disconnected my DRLs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I tied mine (Hella fogs) into the parking/running light circuit for power to the switch. Works fine, turns off with the main light switch and can be controlled independent of high or low beam.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:50 PM

If I understand you correctly, I have tried that too. For me, the problem with that is that I do not want them to come on until the headlights themselves are on. One of the major reasons for this is that my alarm system flashes the parking lights, and I do not want the fogs to burn out quickly by flashing all of the time.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Well, then tie them to the headlight power relay. A little harder to tap into that circuit, but it is typically the common pin in the 3-pin headlight socket:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#HarnessTypes

But even with the parking light circuit, unless you have the fog or driving light switch on, those lights will not turn on with the parking lights.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:23 PM

I understand about the parking light circuit, the problem is that I want to be able to leave the fog switch on, not worry about it, and have the fogs on/off with the headlights.

How do I know which is the common pin? Are you referring to the wires just off the back of the headlight? A minute ago I tied the switch wire to what I believed to be the low beam. When I turned the headlights on, the switch wire was hot, but the switch did not illuminate.. Not sure what was going on there. However, if there is a common pin that would cause the switch to be hot with lows and highs that would be perfect. Is there a place under the dash where I could tie in rather than running the wires all the way to the headlight?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Look at the page I posted a link to above, there is a picture of the connector with the pins labeled. Also, note the information on that page regarding switched ground, Toyota headlights ground to turn on. So the common pin is hot (i.e. 12 volts) and the other two pins connect to ground for high or low beams.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:46 PM

OK I checked the link. I just tested the three pins on my 4Runner. What you have labeled as "low" was hot when my low beams were on, and what you have labeled as "high" was hot when my high beams were on, but what you labeled as "common" was not hot in either case. Also, I still have the issue that the switch did not come on when I tied in to the low beam wire.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Could it be because mine are 9003 rather than 9004?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jmt83
Could it be because mine are 9003 rather than 9004?
Yes, different headlight connectors are wired differently, could be since you had DRLs, you have switched power wiring:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ghts.shtml#DRL

You'll need to dig into a Factory Service Manual wiring diagram and find what wire(s) go hot with the headlights on.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 PM

Yes, I seem to have switched-power. I'm not sure what changed when I unplugged the DRLs though. I don't have a service manual but I do need to find a good spot to tie in to.

Also, I'm still confused why it didn't work when I tied into the low beam wire.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 AM

Anyone have any idea where there is a wire I could tie in to that is hot for high and low beams??
Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
why don't you wire them directly to the battery so they are totally independant of the lighting system. Flip a switch and they are on...
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
why don't you wire them directly to the battery so they are totally independant of the lighting system. Flip a switch and they are on...
that's exactly what I was going to say. that's how I did mine. each set of lights has direct power to the battery and run off their own switch independent from the igniton, acc, or hi/lo beam. best way to do it I think. they can be turned on ANY time I want.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM

I haven't done that because that is not how I want it to work. I explained in my initial post what I was after. There is only one slight change that I have decided.
After testing the lights out at night, I decided that I want the driving lights wired to the high beams only. This way when I encounter oncoming traffic, I only have to flick off the high beams, rather than having to turn off the high beams and reach for the driving light switch (the PIAA 520s will blind oncoming traffic).
I wired the driving light switch to the high beam wire and it worked properly with the vehicle off. However, with the vehicle running, they were not on with the high beams. I discovered that it worked properly once I plugged the DRLs back in, so they are back on for now.
Meanwhile, I still want the fog lights to be on with high or low beams, but not with the parking lamps. This is because I do not want my alarm system constantly flashing my expensive PIAA bulbs, causing them to burn out. I am still looking for the solution that I desire here.
I understand the rationale of having "full control", but that is not what I'm looking for here. Why would I need fog or driving lights without my headlights?
With the setup I have described, I can leave both switches in the "on" position; when I turn on my headlights, the fogs will be on, and when I turn on my high beams, the driving lights will be on. This way the lights are on when I need them, without having to constantly be flipping switches.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 PM

that just seems like a huge hassle. id rather flip a couple switches instead of dealing with all that wiring crap. but, to each his own.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmt83
I haven't done that because that is not how I want it to work. I explained in my initial post what I was after. There is only one slight change that I have decided.
After testing the lights out at night, I decided that I want the driving lights wired to the high beams only. This way when I encounter oncoming traffic, I only have to flick off the high beams, rather than having to turn off the high beams and reach for the driving light switch (the PIAA 520s will blind oncoming traffic).
I wired the driving light switch to the high beam wire and it worked properly with the vehicle off. However, with the vehicle running, they were not on with the high beams. I discovered that it worked properly once I plugged the DRLs back in, so they are back on for now.
Meanwhile, I still want the fog lights to be on with high or low beams, but not with the parking lamps. This is because I do not want my alarm system constantly flashing my expensive PIAA bulbs, causing them to burn out. I am still looking for the solution that I desire here.
I understand the rationale of having "full control", but that is not what I'm looking for here. Why would I need fog or driving lights without my headlights?
With the setup I have described, I can leave both switches in the "on" position; when I turn on my headlights, the fogs will be on, and when I turn on my high beams, the driving lights will be on. This way the lights are on when I need them, without having to constantly be flipping switches.
If you've already done this, your going to hate it for actual fog/ snow driving. The highbeams reflect off the snow in the air and its very hard to see through it all to the road. You should use the fog lights instead of the highbeams for fog/ snow. THey are aimed very low and parallel to the surface of the road.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 AM

jmt83, I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem, and want it to sak if you were ver able to figure out how to connect your lights so that the driving lights work only with the high beams, and the fog lights with the low beams. What wires did you end up using to connect the lights switches for power? Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:18 AM

I have a set of Hella lights , I plugged the hot wire right into one of the headlight fuses in the box under the hood. they come on when the headlights are switched on