General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire ID help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wire ID help?

In my ongoing battle to rehab a slightly melted '86 runner (build link in my sig), I have run aground. Er, I have found a short to ground. Close enough. In my fuse block (image below), there is a plug with three wires. The plug the one closest to the driver's side, and the wire which is shorted to ground is the one closest to the driver's side and the rear of the vehicle. It is red with a green stripe (could be blue, I suppose. There was some discoloration.). It leads into the harness, through the fender hole, over the inner fender (all in the harness, of course) and through the firewall. Anyone know where it goes next? I didn't have time to pull the glove box yet, but it looks like it might go in there.

The other issue that I am having (which may or may not be related), is that I can get the truck to turn over, and I can get spark to the dizzy, but I don't think that fuel is getting to the cylinders. I have a couple of ideas, but I'd like to hear your insight as well.

Thanks! MC

Last edited by Mountain Cop; 01-20-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Forgot the img code.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bet -

Download the FSM for your truck here: http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Wiring diagrams, wire colors, and fuse block diagrams abound...

Most Toyota harnesses that I have seen are pretty good about not re-using wire colors for other circuits, except on shared wires (for example grounds seem to always be white/black stripe, or black/white stripe).

Hopefully this is at least some help...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 AM

I have a copy of the FSM, and perhaps I'm just blind or dumb, but I can't seem to find that particular wire anywhere.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without being there to look at it, it is hard to say. The wire color codes are in the following pic, it will probably require a little while of staring at the last 10 pages of that FSM to figure out which wire you are looking at.

If this was burned, you should probably bend over and buy the Painless wiring kit for this vehicle. Toyota made extensive use of fusible link wiring, there are probably many places where the wiring has blowin internal to the sheath as a result of the heat. If this was any kind of fire, you probably will have wiring problems for the rest of this truck's life if you don't just bite the bullet and replace it all.

That being said, good luck, I'd be glad to help out if I can =)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 AM

I really appreciate it, man! That gives me somewhere to start. I'm kinda hoping that I misread the wire and it is really the red/blue wire going to the fuel pump. That would explain the lack of gas going to the EFI when I turned it over.