General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Range Question from ECU to Oxygen Sensor for early 4runners

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wide Range Question from ECU to Oxygen Sensor for early 4runners

Firstly, I appreciate all the people who take the time to try and help on this forum. There's so much going on at this site --it's excellent. I'm a forum novice myself so please bear with me if I'm not doing this right.

Ok, where to begin. I have two 1st generation 4runners, a 1986 and a 1988, both 22re, 5sp trucks. They both run, but the 1988 needs either a head gasket or timing cover (it has cappuccino in oil land) and has rust issues. The plan was to combine the best of both trucks to make the 1986 for us, inside and out, and then put the remaining parts back in the '88, fix the motor, and sell it as a beater truck.

The fuse box under the hood of the '86 was cosmetically broken (the guts-- wiring, fuses, relays, are fine) and not only was the '88 fuse box good, but it also had a diagnostic plug in which I figured to be a good idea. Also, the '88 had air conditioning, which I also decided was a good idea for the '86. These two things I decided to swap were how my troubles began.

I discovered that the trucks were NOT identical electrically. I'm still trying to make sense out of what all the connectors are actually for, as the size and shape differ. My question pertains to the ECU and the oxygen sensor.

Do I need to swap the ECU too--and if so, do I need to convert all the sensors, relays, wires, etc. in the truck from the '86 to the '88, or are they interchangeable? Like the '86 has a green box for wiper control, but I did not find that in the '88....

Here's the part that sucks. The '86 ran like a top before I messed with it. I really had no idea I was undertaking this kind of electrical and resulting mechanical work--I should have just done the cosmetics and called it good. I liked the simplicity of the '86, and I feel like I've screwed it up. Anyway, the oxygen sensor from the '86 was on the exhaust manifold, and only has one wire connected to it. I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the newly installed wiring harness from the '88 had the o2 sensor plug (containing 4 pins instead of 1) inside the cab in order to reach the sensor (which was moved from the exhaust manifold to a spot in front of the cat converter). I simply capped my manifold and swapped the first sectiojn of exhaust pipe containing the o2 sensor. I did not weld the rest of my exhaust pipe to the first section yet. When I started the truck, it runs ALMOST smoothly, but has a bit of a miss. The check engine light is also mostly on (sort of like the electric bug zappers).

Could the problem be that the o2 sensor is too close to the open air until I weld the rest of the exhaust to it, or is it more likely that I need to finish swapping vacuum things? The exhaust manifold of the '86 didn't have that weird air vacuum tube attached to it that wraps around the back of the motor to the other side like the '88 does. Also, there is 1 less vacuum line on the '86.
Thank you for any help.

Last edited by StarlaHeffe; 04-25-2011 at 06:50 PM.