General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light wiring question

Hello,
My truck is a 1990. It has a wooden bed that still uses the original tail lights. I've begun building a new bed and want to use new tail lights. I've got some that are the same style as a trailer or a Jeep Wrangler.

I was checking out the wiring yesterday. The stock Toyota lights have a two filament bulb for tail lights and brake lights, then single filament bulbs for reverse lights and turn signals. The new tail lights only have a two filament bulb that would be for tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals, and then a single filament bulb for reverse lights.

How can I wire the new tail lights so the two filament bulb will work for tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals? I believe the brake light filament will need to blink off and on to act as the turn signal, so I don't suspect this is as easy as just running all of those wires into that one bulb.

Thank you!
Josh
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will have to install a converter to make the brake,stop,turn lights to work right, and then just run the reverse as normal...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Curt+Hitches/2...FaaDQgodA0sAjg
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It might just be easier to run a second light for your turn signal.

That is what I did because I just did not want the hassle of using a trailer converter .

Someone had did a real hack job putting one of those on that got real expensive to repair all the damage and get things working again .
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 AM

Great - thanks guys. I believe I will try the converter route, and will proceed with caution
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
you will have to install a converter to make the brake,stop,turn lights to work right, and then just run the reverse as normal...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Curt+Hitches/2...FaaDQgodA0sAjg

I took the info you provided and did some additional searching, and found this: http://www.thehitchstore.com/3-to-2-...er-p-1705.html

Sweet
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 PM

I wired things up last night. It mostly worked, but not completely. There were these two issues:

1) The turn signals worked fine, until I pressed the brake pedal. If a turn signal is on when braking, the signal starts blinking fast (like they do when one bulb is out). Then when I let off the brake, the signal slows back down. Not a huge problem, but not what I was shooting for.

2) The four way flashers don't work in the rear at all, unless I press the brake pedal. Then they flash like normal. I don't think this will be kosher at the truck's next inspection.

Any ideas on how to remedy these issues? Other than these things, everything worked well.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like your converter is not working like it should .

Then remember your brake and turnsignal are now the same blub so things will be different

That is why I always use a stand alone turn signal light.

Good luck:jessica::jessica:
Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 AM

Maybe this is a "you get what you pay for" since I bought that cheap converter. It is a Curt though... Anyhow, last night after work I did pick up a pair of stand alone tail lights. Wasn't my original plan, but I'd rather do it that way than have some flaky setup not behaving as it should. Thanks guys