General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch-mounted backup lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch-mounted backup lights?

I am looking for cheap and simple way to instal auxillary backup lights. I don't have the experience to wire something myself, and can't really afford anything too fancy anyway. The obvious solution for me is something that mounts on the hitch and pugs into the 7-pin connector.

The first product I found: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

This is simple and cheap, but the reviews are mixed, and the connector on my 4th gen 4Runner is angled slightly sideways and down, so I am not sure how useful the beam pattern would be.

The second solution I found: http://back-upbuddy.com/gg301.html

This looks like the perfect set up, but it is expensive.

Does anyone have experience with either of the these products, or other suggestions?

Last edited by Will_4R; 02-24-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM

holy cow- the back up buddy is expensive.

you might want to do a quick search - others have mounted inexpensive fog lights to their bumpers as extra reverse lights or to hook up trailers, etc...

you can even use the 7-pin connector to simplify wiring, although there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the max power draw the oem wiring can handle. some have added a relay and another power line from the battery, and used the oem harness as a trigger (probably the safest method).

a $15 set of blazer fogs from wal-mart, an orphaned relay i had in my toolbox, and some skinned knuckles and a dirty-t-shirt from lying under the truck was about all it cost me to wire up reverse fogs on my wife's T4Rs.

*note* - when it comes to things electrical or mechanical, i am an idiot. if i can do this (no soldering required, just need wire strippers/crimping tool and some heat-shrink wrap), anyone, including my rabbit, could probably do it. heck, i could've done it faster w/o my rabbit sticking his face into my work or into my face every couple of minutes.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM

if i were you, i would do like merlin said and mount some fog or driving lights to the bumper, but i would just use the wiring that comes with it rather than messing with the trailer lights. that way you will have a switch, just in case someone decided to tailgate you, or leaves there brights on
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM

I looked at those too.

While a novice, I found a cheap set of auxillary lights at NAPA and installed them on my rear bumper. They have been flawless for 4 years.

I even found existing holes in the bumper so no drilling.

Running the wires was basic, right to battery with included fuse. Installed included switch in an empty space.

Here are a few photos:

Rear View -

Close up

Lights on

Think it cost ~ $50 and took 2 hours.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Canadian Tire sells a set of 50W halogens that secure to the trailer hitch cross bar with some zip ties and hard wire to the existing reverse lights with a tap kit or can be separately switched... Stand by for linky

There is a rear mount version of this kit but it does not come up on line... the rear mount set is sometimes kept with the trailer do dads in the store or you could just use these they are about as wide as the crossbar...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672432

Last edited by aviator; 02-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It would seem that installing some cheap lights myself is the best way to go. Besides, if I don't do it, I'll never learn how. Those Canadian Tire ones look like the ticket. I like the low profile. I don't really have anywhere under the bumper to put them, my hitch reciever is welded directly under the frame cross member behind the bumper and there is no cross member below the bumper, behind the hitch. I could either put the lights on the bumper, but they are vulnerable to damage, or I could maybe hang them under the bumper, but they are probably equally prone to damage there too (good thing they are cheap).

I spent some time on here, and google, studying diagrams and learning how to set the circut up, but I have never done anything electrical on car (or anywhere really), and have no idea where to start. Concensus is that I should wire it through a relay and through a fuse, but I am not sure where to set these up, and how to hook the wire up to the battery and run to the rear and to the switch in the cab. Do I need to get directly under the engine bay for this?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM

I mounted some auxillary lights on the back as well I initially put them on for auxillary lighting when I go camping...but light up enough for back up lights as well.
They are mounted on the bumper on each side of the hitch. Bought them at cabela's during a sale $14.99 I believe..... Wiring is simple, rocker switch in the cabin....I have a seperate fuse box but they can me wired to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails Hitch-mounted backup lights?-dscn1155.jpg   Hitch-mounted backup lights?-dscn1156.jpg  

Last edited by Motayota; 02-24-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Will_4R
Thanks for the replies guys. It would seem that installing some cheap lights myself is the best way to go. Besides, if I don't do it, I'll never learn how. Those Canadian Tire ones look like the ticket. I like the low profile. I don't really have anywhere under the bumper to put them, my hitch reciever is welded directly under the frame cross member behind the bumper and there is no cross member below the bumper, behind the hitch. I could either put the lights on the bumper, but they are vulnerable to damage, or I could maybe hang them under the bumper, but they are probably equally prone to damage there too (good thing they are cheap).

I spent some time on here, and google, studying diagrams and learning how to set the circut up, but I have never done anything electrical on car (or anywhere really), and have no idea where to start. Concensus is that I should wire it through a relay and through a fuse, but I am not sure where to set these up, and how to hook the wire up to the battery and run to the rear and to the switch in the cab. Do I need to get directly under the engine bay for this?
If your only going to have one set of lights then just wire directly to battery, most lights come with relay, wiring, and fuse circuitry. Because your mounting these on the rear, the included wiring will probably not be long enough. You'll only have to run one power from the lights, you can ground the lights on the bumper or run a short ground to the body from the rear. You can set your relay up front by the battery or somwhere under the hood. Run your wiring through the firewall....etc...there are a lot of write up on wiring auxillary lights...

Here are a couple of links that might help you...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...p-lamps-75744/
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/hella500/index.html
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...4runner-75274/
Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Go down to lordco and you can get a switch, relay and some wiring for a few bucks (okay perhaps $25) and get some cheap 55w tractor lights. Princess auto has em for a few bucks a pop...

Here is a little diagram I made, how to wire your lights with an eluminated switch..

I found that pre-made harnesses where not the best. They tend to be folded up really tight (not good for wiring!!) aswell.

Note. The inline fuse going to the switch depends on what current your switch can handle...

Last edited by Jay351; 02-24-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Almost every major manufacturer of lights has wiring diagrams on their website.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM

new to forum

Just wanted to say hello I'm new to the forum and wanted to relay some input on the backup buddy I bought one at a trade show after looking at it and seeing it's quality. I myself think it was well worth the money. It's not one of those cheap plastic things you see out there. this thing was excellent for me while plowing this winter. The utility light feature helped out to while shoveling some of my customers walkways because you can point the lights in any position up down and in and out. I'm actually thinking of buying the towball one to hook my trailer to.Well talk to you later.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by lanscaper123
Just wanted to say hello I'm new to the forum and wanted to relay some input on the backup buddy I bought one at a trade show after looking at it and seeing it's quality. I myself think it was well worth the money. It's not one of those cheap plastic things you see out there. this thing was excellent for me while plowing this winter. The utility light feature helped out to while shoveling some of my customers walkways because you can point the lights in any position up down and in and out. I'm actually thinking of buying the towball one to hook my trailer to.Well talk to you later.

Pics?

Last edited by DeathCougar; 03-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Staff

I meant pics of it mounted on his rig
Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I figured it out after since the OP already posted a link to the page...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Hi again,
I'll be back with some pics.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Staff

They are pics on your truck, right? Just want to see how it looks actually mounted to a truck. I know what they look like off the truck. Or perhaps mounted an in action? Are they bright?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Whoever invented that little gizmo must be making sooo much money off of it...I mean, it probably costs 40 bucks tops to manufacture one of those... Wish I had thought of it
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM

DeathCougar

Hi again,
To answer your question are they bright? yes! I do a lot of winding driveways snow plowing and it was like having headlights on the back of my truck. Here's some pics one of them is a little dark I don't know how to shut the flash off so it makes it look darker than it is.

Hitch-mounted backup lights?-picture-001.jpg

Hitch-mounted backup lights?-picture-007.jpg

Hitch-mounted backup lights?-picture-002.jpg
Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Staff

Very nice. I had never seen this post, this sort of thing would be fairly helpful for me, since I often can't see out the back of my truck with the weak backup lights.

Quick Reply: Hitch-mounted backup lights?