General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fog light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light?

so i just got myself some hella fog lights and got everything wire but then relised that i hooked the power wire frome the switch (green wire) to the power wire for the fog lights (red wire) is this going to be an issue? and if so should i just wire the fog lights to the high or low beam of the head lights? and which wire is the high beam and low beam? for some reason this is stumping me over something so stuppid. any help would be great. thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM

you will have to get a 40 amp 5 prong regular relay and its pretty easy you can google a basic off road accessory wiring diagram what i did on mine was to find the high beam wire and tap into that sending the trigger to the relay this way you avoid the FIRE HAZZARD of running all the power through a switch this way all your power to the lights goes direct from the battery btw most fires are the result of improper wiring .
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
means u will be pulling all that power threw the switch. not the best thing, u are running a relay right? if not then redo it all and install one. u will be happy u do. as for the power to turn on the lights just take it off the parking lights so u dont have to have the head lights on to turn them on.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 AM

yes im running a relay it came with the kit. and i was not going to run all the power from the the head light i was going to run the red wire to the battery like the kits instructions say to. but i ran the power for the switch the same red wire. so i was thinking if i did this the light on the switch would probably end of killing the battery at some time. justin i do think that is my best sollution is to run the switches power of of the running light (corner light) other then hooking the green wire straight to the power wire that hooks to the battery all the wireing has been done just like the instructions say to. this isnt my first time doing wiring but its sure has been a long time. lol thanks guys
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I hooked my Hella fog light switch power to the parking light power wire. That way the fog lights turn off if I turn off the parking lights so I can't forget and leave them on. And I can have them on w/ high or low beams if I want. Plus, the parking light power wire is switched power, while the high and low beam wires are switched ground, so are harder to integrate into the Hella wiring scheme.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM

u can get the power from the dimmer switch location so u dont have to run it all the way off the front corner light, less going threw firewall and headaches later if something stops working.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM

yeah so i ended up useing a fuseable link and pluging it into the fuse box under the hood to the rear defrost fuse. well this is definitley not working no power at all i dont see why this wont work but i even tried switching it to a different fuse spot and still nothing. grounds are all good wires all all connected in the right spot so im going to have to say its the power issue. and of course i dont have a test light at home to check the power source.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 AM

Never dive into anything electrical without an Ohm Meter or at least a test light. They are cheap and can help prevent shorts that cost $100s to fix.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=03482141000P
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
here. this is a generic diagram of how to wire lights up. there is a better way, but it's a bit more complex, and i've only done it once

if you want any other type of schematic, let me know. i'm good with this kind of stuff
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 AM

about the only thing i would of added to the pic was the numbers on the relay so people who dont play with them often know where to put each wire, also for the switch pull power from inside the cab and not battery, just easier. but nice pic
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 AM

like i said, there's a better way of doing this, which is safer and more convenient, but it'ts a bit more wiring to do. just like many of the systems already on the toyotas, "switched ground" is nice. i wired brian's (swimmerboy2112) lights up like this, and it made routing the switch easier and the whole system safer by not introducing more power into the cab. when i re-do my power connections this month, i'll post how i did it, but also convert to switched ground on a bunch of stuff. it's also up to the user to decide how it gets wired up. i've seen things done that i might not have, but they worked well, and got ideas from others

here is the switched ground set-up. again, fairly basic
Attached Thumbnails fog light?-lights-3.png  
Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 PM

well like ur first picture i had the system wired that way and thought the switch would draw power from the battery all the time and didnt want to kill my new battery lol. so maybe i will go back to that and see what happens. i would love to see how good these lights are some time this year. but for right now im burnt on working on this thing for the next few days. i love my truck but the last three weeks have been nothing but under the hood and now its time to enjoy the ride! so i guess out to the garage i go yet again...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM

if it's wired up correctly, it will only draw power if you forget to turn them off (guilty here). there should be no power drain at all. if there is, it might be a bad switch, bad relay, or something else drawing power.

good luck with the wiring!