General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this look like stock stereo wiring harness? Plz help with mess?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does this look like stock stereo wiring harness? Plz help with mess?!!?

Hey guys I was tired of my crappy CD deck and the hill billy wiring job the PO did on it. Speakers wired wrong and everything. I am going to try and clean it up as best as I can. A couple questions, with speakers, what is most commonly negative and postive? Stripped or solid? So I can wire everything right.

I know the basics. 4 speaker wires, ground, ignition, and constant power.

The red and yellow wires twisted together are constant and ignition im assuming. They look like they're clipped into what appears to be part of the stock harness. Should I leave them like that or try and do a better job of connecting them? The ground is just running to a bolt in the body by the radio, I think its fine.

Then this guy seems to be the stock speaker wires? Its an SR5 that had rear speakers. Can I just unhook those and run new wires myself?

It is an 87 4runner. 22re 5 speed, SR5 if it matters
Thank you for any help!!

Last edited by skoti89; 04-22-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's the stereo harness. As I remember those pastel wires were the speaker wires. A this point I would cut off the factory Molex plug and I like to twist the speaker wire pairs together. Typically the darker color is negative and lighter posative. However I would check at the speaker.

I use a 9 volt battery to "tap" the speaker so I can tell which is which. You can also watch the speaker cone to determine polarity. Basically you make sure the speaker go in the same direction--you don't want one moving out and the other moving in, as this would put the out of phase.

Hoep this helps a little.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I look at the pic again I see the PO used T-taps, and did not cut the wires. In this case I would remove the T-Taps and tape up those wires. I would then get an aftermarket plug in wire harness. This makes the install clean, easy to do as you can wire the stereo outside the vehicle and then just plug it in, and it tells you what all the wires are.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

just fix the hack job get a harness and just wire it up minus the speakers just run new wires
Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM

I just did a quick twisting of wires and electrical tape to make sure everything was right. The new stereo powers up fine, then I did run new speaker wires(after market door speakers were already in with a hack job to the sheet metal also)

I am thinking of just getting the wiring harness if I believe the stock harness is still intact

thanks guys for you replies
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you replacing the rear speakers also? The OEM rear speaker have a mini amplifier built into the speaker cage, don't forget to connect your new radio's "amp turn on" wire to the factory one or you won't get sound from the back - took me forever to figure this out (actually, I had rear sound with the radio on but not with the CD because I hooked the "power antenna" lead to the factory amp turn on)
Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM

I was wondering if it came with an amp for the rear. there seemed to be way to many wires and plugs just for the rear speakers. I have had my interior stripped doing my truck bed liner, and I did not see an amp any where. I believe it to be long gone. All that extra harness, makes me think I am just going to re wire it all and just run my own new speaker wires to the back. Keeping it clean and simple.

6 1/2's in the doors and back. Also, I am going to be powering some 6x9's in the rear passenger area with another amp. Talk about some speaker action there!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My PO hacked up the radio harness..hacked up my dash too! I just ran all new wires..12v from battery, used the acc from the switch, dimmer from the gauge lights, ran all new speaker wires and amp wires/rca cables. I just tucked my old harness as far back as I could.

Try this out if you want to know the color codes. I've always used this site and haven't a problem with it yet. http://www.installdr.com/